Author Topic: Leamington away  (Read 2112 times)

Mallard

• View Profile
Leamington away
« on: March 02, 2020, 03:43:04 PM »
Two tough away games coming up this week.   Squad should be well rested and nearly upped to full numbers ( not sure where Clunan and Fryatt are at).

Would take 3 points from the 2 games.  York also at home tomorrow night to Hereford.

KES80

• View Profile
Re: Leamington away
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 06:34:34 PM »
Think we need to be a little more ambitious and aim for  6 points , but be very happy with 4. Psychologically would be great to start an unbeaten run......Bradford and Guiseley at home after that.... I sense an opportunity to make a decisive break if we can do well this week.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 06:43:59 PM »
Be interesting to see the make up of the 16 for tomorrow.
Leamington seem to be difficult to play against on their turf.
Pitch isn't the best and may be pretty heavy also and lots of long ball and physical action likely from them. Lynn will need to be effective in the right areas,rather than pretty.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 09:11:01 PM »
Hiya, has anyone got any details of possible radio commentary for Tuesday's game v Leamington  :dontknow:
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

newlinnet2019

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 08:13:24 AM »
Hiya, has anyone got any details of possible radio commentary for Tuesday's game v Leamington  :dontknow:
Hopefully Radio Norfolk will be covering the game tonight on "The game with Phil Daley" from 7pm.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 11:14:35 AM »
Tricky evening.  Leamington have no shock defeats at home.  Pitch obviously a factor.  We often hear that forthcoming opponents are “Big & Strong, physical and hoofers”, but I haven’t seen any yet.  Hopefully we’ll use an attacking line-up, force them back, and flood back to defend.  Let them commit the fouls, then we get unhindered opportunity to hit the danger area; other way round, we’ll have the extra defending to do.  We should have too much ability for them, but IC will remind them they must work to be able to use it.  Hope Brackley and Boston chip points off each other.  All IMHO, but would like to see Messrs Power and Southwell leading the break-outs......

newlinnet2019

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 01:13:56 PM »

Agree with you DD, especially about letting them commit the fouls. They've had 5 straight red cards plus another red for 2 yellows so far this season. COYL  :scarf:

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 01:18:10 PM »
Here's your chance then dd....go to Leamington and see some ha ha! Seeing the videos over the season so far, many away managers, stating little football was played and the ball was in the air for much of the time and the pitch very bobbly.
Think it will be a bit of a scrap, but hopefully Lynn's qualities will get the rewards they deserve.... but the conditions and general pitch condition will be a leveller. They have some tall guys, so a bit of extra height in Lynn's line up might be useful,
especially if it's tricky playing a passing game or running with the ball.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 02:08:08 PM »
I suppose Power's injury might dictate things but given that we need to get the best out of the squad, I wouldn't be too upset if he didn't start at the Walks again this season and was given his opportunities away from home.  I'm with LL's assessment on a different thread, probably one of our best 11 players but not convinced he is in our best 11. 

Like Mallard I would take 3 points from the next two games, long lay off isn't going to help us so I think the aim should be to get back up to where we were before Christmas sooner rather than later.  Thankfully no-one, other than maybe Gateshead, has put together a real good run whilst we have been off so still very much in our hands

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 02:29:57 PM »
That rather backs up my point then, KES....  Teams that play little football and regularly hoof up in the air don’t win very often, and certainly not as often as teams that play like ours, as shown by the respective league positions.  No, I agree, however, that the condition of the pitch will determine the type of game.  Can’t understand TonyM’s idea of not playing Powerat home - he’s been a revelation so far, except Kidderminster who played my favoured “22 legs” defensive system very well, and stopped not only Power running into spaces, but our team in general.  He’s too good for that to happen very often, IMO. Three points tonight, please !!

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 02:53:58 PM »
Yes agreed Dilly, 3 points tonight fingers crossed and then hopefully something from Saturday....got to think like a table winning team, if we're going to win it.

Ap

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 04:23:33 PM »
Hopefully Radio Norfolk will be covering the game tonight on "The game with Phil Daley" from 7pm.

According to Radio Norfolk this morning their midweek sport programme is moving to Wednesday this week to take commentary of Norwich's FA Cup game so no Lynn commentary tonight

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 06:15:14 PM »
...Can’t understand TonyM’s idea of not playing Powerat home - he’s been a revelation so far, except Kidderminster who played my favoured “22 legs” defensive system very well, and stopped not only Power running into spaces, but our team in general.  He’s too good for that to happen very often, IMO...

DD, we can agree to disagree, personally think playing him at home where most sides will be happy to be conservative and put bodies behind the ball takes away Power's biggest threat.  The obvious exception was York who played for the win and got exposed by his pace.  I also think that playing him at home weakens our shape - hence we had zero control of the midfield vs Kidderminster

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 06:20:06 PM »
Agree with you Tony.  Power is at his most effective when he has the space to run into.   Against York he gave their right back a right pasting.   Against Kiddie he wasn’t really in the game but in fairness to him we seem to find it difficult to feed the ball to him.

Be interesting to see if he starts tonight or we go narrow.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2020, 06:59:07 PM »
We’re apparently all agreed that Power needs space to run into.  I did put that as his problem against Kidderminster.  I just think Kiddie were good at ensuring they constantly had 22 legs as a forest that we couldn’t find a way through, and they flooded forward with menace on several occasions.  I keep thinking of this as the “Leipzig” game as I enjoyed watching their team of about 8 quick elusive “ forwards“ doing all the attacking and virtually all the defending against Spurs.  The GK and 2 CBS were the exception.  Point is, I don’t think many could do that as successfully against us as Kiddie did that day.  Agree with Mallard that Power would be ideal away for the reasons we’ve discussed....  Three points tonight, PLEASE, IC !......