Author Topic: If the season finishes early.......  (Read 2639 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
Re: If the season finishes early.......
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2020, 02:55:06 PM »
On the theme of us all bring in this together, if the season ends now with no relegations, that would mean there would be Millions of pounds in Parachute payments not being paid out.

Would the Powers that be allow this money to filter down to non league to assist with the financial problems most will almost certainly face? Apparently over £240 million was paid out last season to relegated clubs, plus an additional 100k "solidarity" payments.

How to solve the financial problem of non league clubs at a stroke of a pen?
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Bluboy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 03:02:07 PM »
This is a tough one  and to be honest ( all of us ) if we was in say Farsley position we wonít give to hoots what happened next , current form clubs below us may say they could catch us and looking at top ten playoffs could be anyoneís , also I know thereís 2/3 players holding off signing contracts as to see what league weíll be in ... them players may well leave if season null void  ,    , me personally option 3  gutting as it is  , as next season may see us not hit this seasons form ... all I know is I wouldnít want to be the one who makes the decision... this could roll n roll with legal matters etc

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 03:05:44 PM »
Clubs might spout the party line of being in it together.   I suggested this idea on an earlier post but it has pitfalls.  Money comes from The Premier League not the FA.   Pro club ( many who are losing serious millions) will want every penny of parachute payments to mount a challenge to get back to the promised land of the Premiership.

Looking a long way forward.  If the FA have no income from their  flagship earner ( FA Cup final). What affect will this have on Non League Clubs in terms of earnings from an FA Cup run.

I do wonder if this will be a big wake up call for clubs paying out huge wages to players in the Non League game.

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 03:05:59 PM »
Lough,  thatís not an option as players are out of contract at the end of April ( Stephen Cleeve on Radio Norfolk last evening).  The Chairman said extending the season beyond April
Wasnít an option.  I take it B&G must have listened in to Radio
Norfolk as the 3 options he has posted are the 3 given by Stephen Cleeve.

Not an option as things are at the minute, and wouldnít be with this squad as you point out, as their contracts end at April, or early May with Play-off extensions. Itís conceivable next seasons squad could be asked to finish this season, as any other option leaves the leagues open to suits, from clubs relegated/not promoted. (Complicated somewhat further by the void caused by Buryís demise.) Essentially next years pre-season would be finishing this season.

Also further complicated by the need for the pyramid to have a unified(ish) start date for 20/21, certainly couldnít start at one tier until all tiers have finished. If the EFL hold off, until the Prem is sorted, then the National will have to as well.

And they might be waiting for UEFA to take the lead on determining what happens with champions league, until domestic leagues are sorted. Itís been mooted that if the Euroís move, then those dates freed up through not having the summer tournament are when the professional seasonís will finish. If thatís the case, the National would find it very hard to legally justify not doing the same.

Complicated further by professional contracts only expiring on the 30th June.

Quite a cascade affect.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2020, 03:22:43 PM »
Excellent post Lough and many valid points.   Good to see on here.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2020, 07:51:22 AM »
.......3 options as far as I can see:

1) The positions stand as they are today.

2) Decided on points v games played.

3) All leagues for 2019/20 are null and void.

Obviously option 2 would Favour the Linnets.

Imo, as I think its the most fair option overall, I'll go for option 3.

I would like to suggest a 4th option. The most any team has played is 34 games I believe. Bring each team up to that using the points per game ratio....a small change in points for each club. Make that the starting point for next season and aggregate next season's points on top, so that at the end the table shows the results for 76 games

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2020, 08:44:25 AM »
.......3 options as far as I can see:

1) The positions stand as they are today.

2) Decided on points v games played.

3) All leagues for 2019/20 are null and void.

Obviously option 2 would Favour the Linnets.

Imo, as I think its the most fair option overall, I'll go for option 3.

I would like to suggest a 4th option. The most any team has played is 34 games I believe. Bring each team up to that using the points per game ratio....a small change in points for each club. Make that the starting point for next season and aggregate next season's points on top, so that at the end the table shows the results for 76 games
That's a very sensible idea. Have the leagues ever been stopped early before, I wonder, and if so what happened then?

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2020, 08:56:59 AM »
One idea from the premier League is that Liverpool are to be awarded the title, no teams to be relegated and Leeds and West Brom promoted. The premier League will be larger. Presumably, league 1 top two will also go up with no relegations. If that approach is followed down the leagues then surely KL will be promoted?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2020, 09:47:11 AM »
In season 39/40 the Leagues were abandoned after each team had played 3 games. With GB declaring war on Germany.   The League resumed again for the 46/47 season.

The idea of no relegation but Promotion might well be a sensible outcome.    Will give a feel good factor to a lot of Clubs and supporters.  Not to mention much needed increase in revenue for next season.

Iíd vote for that one any day.

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2020, 10:18:05 AM »
In season 39/40 the Leagues were abandoned after each team had played 3 games. With GB declaring war on Germany.   The League resumed again for the 46/47 season.

The idea of no relegation but Promotion might well be a sensible outcome.    Will give a feel good factor to a lot of Clubs and supporters.  Not to mention much needed increase in revenue for next season.

Promotions without relegations, with the now wonky leagues being sorted out by having additional drop spots in the next year, does seem like the best solution overall, now that Iíve seen it.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2020, 10:41:36 AM »

Promotions without relegations, with the now wonky leagues being sorted out by having additional drop spots in the next year, does seem like the best solution overall, now that Iíve seen it.
What's the problem with it Loughborough?

daleh

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2020, 10:42:22 AM »
Option 5..Stop speculating about things we have no knowledge about. It's bad enough seeing Wayne Rooney's stupid and brainless medical opinion in the press. Phew...I feel better now...Thanks.

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2020, 01:54:02 PM »

What's the problem with it Loughborough?

Didnít say there was one.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2020, 02:10:08 PM »
I can't see any fairer option than to declare the 2019-20 season void, particularly at non-league level.  Just won't be practical to ask non-league to play on into June or even July and given that currently no-one has 'clinched' a promotion can't claim to have lost what hasn't yet earned. 

Also can't see the promotion but no relegation being a practical solution, all it does is increase the Premier League (and reduces the teams in the lowest league it would apply to) when they already complain about the number of games they play.

Bury situation is a difficult one and think fairest would be to carry on with the status quo for another year, although given the rumoured state of finances at a number other league clubs the impact of this virus may create further gaps in the pyramid.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2020, 03:12:02 PM »
I say play on,you make up your own mind whether you go to watch or not,we are all adults and can make up our own minds,you could catch this **** standing next to someone in the chip shop?  I myself being put in the class as the most vulnerable to catch the disease am doing all I can to live life.At a game you are out in the open air,not enclosed,so long as people don't cough and spit all over you it will be okay,didn't see too many jousts being called off during the Black death? :dontknow:
ďNo one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?Ē