Author Topic: If the season finishes early.......  (Read 1965 times)

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
Re: If the season finishes early.......
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2020, 03:54:19 PM »
I can't see any fairer option than to declare the 2019-20 season void, particularly at non-league level.  Just won't be practical to ask non-league to play on into June or even July and given that currently no-one has 'clinched' a promotion can't claim to have lost what hasn't yet earned. 

Also can't see the promotion but no relegation being a practical solution, all it does is increase the Premier League (and reduces the teams in the lowest league it would apply to) when they already complain about the number of games they play.

Bury situation is a difficult one and think fairest would be to carry on with the status quo for another year, although given the rumoured state of finances at a number other league clubs the impact of this virus may create further gaps in the pyramid.
I read it in the Mail and the Telegraph so presumably it's being considered but who can trust the media these days.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2020, 03:57:34 PM »
I can't see any fairer option than to declare the 2019-20 season void, particularly at non-league level.  Just won't be practical to ask non-league to play on into June or even July and given that currently no-one has 'clinched' a promotion can't claim to have lost what hasn't yet earned. 

Also can't see the promotion but no relegation being a practical solution, all it does is increase the Premier League (and reduces the teams in the lowest league it would apply to) when they already complain about the number of games they play.

Bury situation is a difficult one and think fairest would be to carry on with the status quo for another year, although given the rumoured state of finances at a number other league clubs the impact of this virus may create further gaps in the pyramid.
I read it in the Mail and the Telegraph so presumably it's being considered but who can trust the media these days.
As an idea it seems fair to those who have played well and achieved points likely to get them promoted with no impact on relegation. No one loses out with this method.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2020, 05:19:20 PM »
I say play on,you make up your own mind whether you go to watch or not,we are all adults and can make up our own minds,you could catch this **** standing next to someone in the chip shop?  I myself being put in the class as the most vulnerable to catch the disease am doing all I can to live life.At a game you are out in the open air,not enclosed,so long as people don't cough and spit all over you it will be okay,didn't see too many jousts being called off during the Black death? :dontknow:

The football can't carry on for two reasons.  Firstly individual teams will continue to be affected ie Gloucester hence tonight's postponement, obviously if you know when these random ongoing self-isolations will cease please can you let the FA know as I am sure it will help with their planning.  Secondly, as you have demonstrated, some members of the public will not be able to follow advice given to vulnerable groups of not putting themselves at risk and as the health services (in the widest sense) need this to be a longer, but relatively less intense outbreak it can't be left to an 'individual's choice', it's about what impact that individual's decisions have for the wider population.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2020, 05:26:25 PM »
As an idea it seems fair to those who have played well and achieved points likely to get them promoted with no impact on relegation. No one loses out with this method.

At some point there will be a league with less teams - do they not lose out?  I really don't think you can talk about 'likely', I would rather deal in what is, and the simple truth is without completing a season it is unfair to assume anything so unless any side has already achieved automatic promotion we should just start again in August.  This is doubly true at step 2 and below where teams have far less control over their (part-time) players.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2020, 06:05:24 PM »

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2020, 06:08:24 PM »
The league will eventually get cancelled IMO. Won't resume till around start of June at earliest.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2020, 06:35:10 PM »

At some point there will be a league with less teams - do they not lose out?  I really don't think you can talk about 'likely', I would rather deal in what is, and the simple truth is without completing a season it is unfair to assume anything so unless any side has already achieved automatic promotion we should just start again in August.  This is doubly true at step 2 and below where teams have far less control over their (part-time) players.
Liverpool are 25 points clear Tony. I think most people would argue that Liverpool winning the Prem is likely.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2020, 06:54:22 PM »

Liverpool are 25 points clear Tony. I think most people would argue that Liverpool winning the Prem is likely.
Teams who are currently in promotion positions have a medium to higher chance of promotion and denying them promotion is clearly more significant than denying those who have slimmer chances. So, it seems fairly reasonable that those currently in promotion places should be promoted. Neither method is perfect but I would argue that those currently in promotion positions lose more by not being promoted than those currently outside promotion positions. Take a points per game average.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2020, 07:10:35 PM »
Hey, Daleh.... Haven’t read Rooney’s medical advice, but I can imagine !.....  and, Non League, June, yeah, but what year ?

Squire of Langham

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2020, 08:17:24 PM »
There is no way another ball can be kicked at The Walks until the Emergency Services are again allowed to attend mass events.  Just think if a supporter has a heart attack or a fire breaks out.  No owner of any club can stage a match knowing that the emergency services will not be attending their ground if required.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2020, 05:17:50 PM »
Quick update on non-league matters
https://www.betvictoristhmian.co.uk/isthmian-league-statement-24th-march-2020-61677

Still needs FA ratification but if steps 3 and below of the non-league pyramid are calling a halt to the season, I think the pressure will be on to extend this to at least step 2 as the majority of clubs will be under the same pressure in terms of player contracts etc.  Slightly different at National League level with full time players and a TV deal that will cloud the issue but does at last appear to be some movement in terms of making decisions.

Next issue will be if there is then any movement (promotion/relegation) or not and if there is what basis is to be used.