Author Topic: If the season finishes early.......  (Read 2672 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
If the season finishes early.......
« on: March 15, 2020, 11:26:10 AM »
.......3 options as far as I can see:

1) The positions stand as they are today.

2) Decided on points v games played.

3) All leagues for 2019/20 are null and void.

Obviously option 2 would Favour the Linnets.

Imo, as I think its the most fair option overall, I'll go for option 3.
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
Re: If the season finishes early.......
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 11:30:40 AM »

Imo, as I think its the most fair option overall, 'll go for option 3.
Why do think that number 3 is the fairest?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 11:44:45 AM »
Need to look higher up the pyramid.  EFL Div 2 ran one team short this season following the demise of Bury.   This caused issues as every week one team in this League was inactive.  So it should follow a team will move up from the National League.  In turn it would mean one team from either the North or the South National League would move up.

Listening to Stephen Cleeve last night he feels there should be full promotion and relegation based on average points v games played. 

Some important to decisions to be made.  Again the Chairman wants these decisions made quickly. 

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 11:47:33 AM »

Imo, as I think its the most fair option overall, 'll go for option 3.
Why do think that number 3 is the fairest?
I would still like to know why B & G thinks that option 3 is the fairest. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 12:05:03 PM »
I wonder if the FA called the season as null
And void could the money not used as Prize money, parachute payments not be used to support clubs further down the pyramid who may find themselves in financial difficulties.    Reading todayís NLP there is a general consensus that this will be the case going forward., and Clubs will struggle to survive

Just food for thought

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 12:59:28 PM »
Well Mall, if Lynn should play Gloucester on Monday night,and lose, then Lynn' s points per game  ratio falls below that of York.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 01:44:15 PM »
Curious that B & G won't explain why he thinks option 3 is the fairest. I've just been accused of being a Guiseley supporter because based on new video evidence I think the ref got it right with the Henderson penalty. The same logic would suggest  B & G is anti-Lynn unless he can justify his belief that option 3 is the fairest!

Mick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 01:54:11 PM »
Well Mall, if Lynn should play Gloucester on Monday night,and lose, then Lynn' s points per game  ratio falls below that of York.

If we lost to Gloucester. Yes. By 1/50th of a point per game. York 1.9411 Lynn  1.9393. Best we don't go to Gloucester

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 02:06:13 PM »
Have to agree with B&G on this one. Option 3 the fairest.  You can't relegate sides with approx. 10 games each left to play.

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 02:11:08 PM »
Or 4) extend the season into September, and delay the start of the following season until October, having midweek games every-week all season.

Only works if its business as usual by August/September.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 02:14:07 PM »
Have to agree with B&G on this one. Option 3 the fairest.  You can't relegate sides with approx. 10 games each left to play.
At least you've given a reason and your point is a fair one. Could you argue that depriving teams at the top of not being promoted is a bit like relegating them from the division that they were likely to be in. Isn't their loss as great as the loss of a relegated team?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 02:15:23 PM »
Lough,  thatís not an option as players are out of contract at the end of April ( Stephen Cleeve on Radio Norfolk last evening).  The Chairman said extending the season beyond April
Wasnít an option.  I take it B&G must have listened in to Radio
Norfolk as the 3 options he has posted are the 3 given by Stephen Cleeve.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 02:20:40 PM »
I take it B&G must have listened in to Radio
Norfolk as the 3 options he has posted are the 3 given by Stephen Cleeve.

Yes Mallard, that's correct.
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 02:27:54 PM »
If the Premier League relegate clubs without all fixtures being played they could leave themselves open to all kinds of legal issues.  At that level relegation is massive cash negative.   So could well understand that if they canít finish the season they will declare it null & void.  As a Norwich follower I wouldnít be unhappy with that.

However that could have the knock on affect right the way through.  Can see arguments for and against declaring the season null & void.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2020, 02:36:57 PM »
If the Premier League relegate clubs without all fixtures being played they could leave themselves open to all kinds of legal issues.  At that level relegation is massive cash negative.   So could well understand that if they canít finish the season they will declare it null & void.  As a Norwich follower I wouldnít be unhappy with that.

However that could have the knock on affect right the way through.  Can see arguments for and against declaring the season null & void.
Fair point