Author Topic: The problem football clubs are now facing.  (Read 7942 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
The problem football clubs are now facing.
« on: March 17, 2020, 10:47:34 AM »
I think many are now expecting the season to finish early one way or another, and not to start up again in a couple of weeks time.

If that is the case there's certain problems that will be obvious, such as the loss of match day revenue. The knock on effect could be huge. Hopefully finances are in place to meet the financial commitments until the end of the season, but what position will we (and other Clubs) be in to kick off the new season, irrespective of the level we will be playing at?

Lots to think about.

Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
Re: The problem football clubs are now facing.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 11:16:49 AM »
I think many are now expecting the season to finish early one way or another, and not to start up again in a couple of weeks time.

If that is the case there's certain problems that will be obvious, such as the loss of match day revenue. The knock on effect could be huge. Hopefully finances are in place to meet the financial commitments until the end of the season, but what position will we (and other Clubs) be in to kick off the new season, irrespective of the level we will be playing at?

Lots to think about.
Government found money for the bankers. It will tell you masses about this government's attitude to the "smaller" people in the way they address these financial consequences.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 11:31:52 AM »
I wonder if the trust would be prepared to help the club out. After all, this situation isn't down to poor planning or management but unforeseen circumstances beyond the planning and control of anyone.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 12:36:32 PM »
Government announcing later plans to help Companies and individuals through this crisis.  Hopefully the youngsters will have things like their mortgages frozen.   Not sure how far down the list Non League Football Clubs will come.  My guess is a long way.

Think The Chairman will be making plans of his own to keep this club alive, going forward  Hopefully he is not going to rely on handouts from Boris.   We have an average gate of 1400 who hopefully can help
If and when they are able.  Plus players and other staff members  who have had good money out of the club will also play their part in helping the Club come through this.  Factor in The Chairman, The Trust and The Friends plus The  FA Support.   If all of those mentioned come to the table then we have a good chance.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 12:54:38 PM »
Government announcing later plans to help Companies and individuals through this crisis.  Hopefully the youngsters will have things like their mortgages frozen.   Not sure how far down the list Non League Football Clubs will come.  My guess is a long way.

Think The Chairman will be making plans of his own to keep this club alive, going forward  Hopefully he is not going to rely on handouts from Boris.   We have an average gate of 1400 who hopefully can help
If and when they are able.  Plus players and other staff members  who have had good money out of the club will also play their part in helping the Club come through this.  Factor in The Chairman, The Trust and The Friends plus The  FA Support.   If all of those mentioned come to the table then we have a good chance.
I wouldn't describe help from the government as a "handout" Mallard. Makes it sound like it's his money. There's plenty of money in our system if the government chooses to redistribute some of it. Reece-mogg and co: it's about time you paid your tax on tax free investments!
But I agree that this is a team effort and all should do their bit in relation to their capacity to help.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 12:58:31 PM »
Would fans be prepared to pay the equivalent of the remainder of the home attendances for example. £15 X the number of home games paid at the time that the match would have been paid. I think I could live with that as I would have paid that money anyway. Perhaps the players could take a little less? It could all contribute.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 01:29:58 PM »
Is there any insurance? The government are currently being rightly critised for not forcing entertainment industries like cinemas to close but rather recommending it and making them close voluntarily. Voluntary closure makes an insurance claim impossible. Are Lynn covered by the same restrictions on a possible insurance claim? Has Johnson pretty much guaranteed that some entertainment industries will fail?

Squire of Langham

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 01:55:13 PM »
Season ticket holders have already done that Stan, will they be refunded?

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 01:59:19 PM »
"Euro 2020 postponed for a year by Uefa because of coronavirus crisis".
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 02:28:52 PM »
Season ticket holders have already done that Stan, will they be refunded?

I would hope season tickets holders won’t look for any monies to be returned.  The same as sponsors, based advertisers etc.  It’s not the Clubs fault that the season has ended.

The ones that really should hang their head in shame are those who cheated the club by obtaining entry at Under 16 admission rates.  Wasn’t there also one Supporter of the club who obtained free admission as a helper to a blue badge holder, even when the blue badge holder didn’t attend.   Lowest of the low

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 02:35:28 PM »
Hopefully King's Lynn avoid it, but there'll be a number of non-league clubs that will fold from this. Basically going to lose 2 months income whilst still paying overheads, and if they're already in debt and paying off debts, this could be what tips them over the edge unless everything is frozen by the government for say 6 months.

Season doesn't start till say late 2020, those overheads will still be costly at this level if a club has a number of players on contracts to end of 2021 at least. Unprecedented times this, and could end up having wide scale long term impacts on football at this level.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 03:38:53 PM »
Unprecedented times this, and could end up having wide scale long term impacts on football at this level.

Indeed they are. I wonder if this will be a wake up call for non league clubs, so that irrespective of what happens now, they don't spend what they don't have in the future?   :dontknow:

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 03:50:49 PM »
We ALL want the club to survive, and eventually thrive.  I certainly hope the Chairman and sponsors are able to stay on board without too much financial injury.  However, the phrase “ in the scheme of things” has never been more prevalent.  Virtually all of us have far more to consider, worry about, and tackle than the future of ANY sporting venture for the foreseeable future.  We shall turn our attentions to sport when the new world, in sport and out, is finally established.  I have a feeling that world will be vastly different to that of our current concerns like football and Brexit....

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 04:01:05 PM »
Unprecedented times this, and could end up having wide scale long term impacts on football at this level.

Indeed they are. I wonder if this will be a wake up call for non league clubs, so that irrespective of what happens now, they don't spend what they don't have in the future?   :dontknow:
So, if Lynn go down it will be no more than they deserve?

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2020, 04:06:05 PM »
We ALL want the club to survive, and eventually thrive.  I certainly hope the Chairman and sponsors are able to stay on board without too much financial injury.  However, the phrase “ in the scheme of things” has never been more prevalent.  Virtually all of us have far more to consider, worry about, and tackle than the future of ANY sporting venture for the foreseeable future.  We shall turn our attentions to sport when the new world, in sport and out, is finally established.  I have a feeling that world will be vastly different to that of our current concerns like football and Brexit....

As hard as it is to swallow that particular pill, I believe you may be correct there.