Author Topic: All results expunged  (Read 4381 times)

Coastal linnet

• View Profile
Re: All results expunged
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 09:29:53 PM »
How about rather than expunging this season's results add the points achieved in 2019/2020 to the total for 2020/2021. There is a disparity in the number of games played, so could "Catch up" fixtures from the 2019/2020 be played before then commencement of the new season so each team will have played the same amount of games.There would be no promotion/relegation from this season. Just seems a fair way for all!

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 09:45:32 PM »
Nice idea but who would say what fixtures had to be played in order to catch up.
Assuming the target is 36 games, as Hereford have  already played 35, we would have to play one home and two away, but which ones?
“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”

Coastal linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 10:26:29 PM »
Good point Nemesis. Idea Number two: Award each team one point for each of their remaining fixtures. Keep the original idea of then adding the points to next season's totals.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2020, 10:40:12 PM »
Penalties!!!!

:laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2020, 10:45:57 PM »
Seriously though. Until the fat lady sings, no club has won anything, no club has lost anything.

Whatever the decision there are going to be people disagree with it. Having read fors and against and people's alternative ideas, imho I still think it should be a case of "as you were".

No promotions, no relegations.

:scarf:

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2020, 11:03:08 PM »
Nice idea but who would say what fixtures had to be played in order to catch up.
Assuming the target is 36 games, as Hereford have  already played 35, we would have to play one home and two away, but which ones?

It could be made to work, just run have a 'double season' over two years ie have an 84 game season running from August 19 to May 21.  Would have the advantage of rewarding this year without the unsatisfactory arbitrary nature of PPG.  Slightly harder on Lynn than York but having to catch up 2 extra games over the course of all of next season wouldn't be that difficult.  Think they would need to abandon the Trophy and possibly the FA Cup to make it work but we are now in a position where nothing should be considered off the table.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2020, 08:11:12 AM »
Already suggested this in an earlier post about a week ago. All you have to do is bring everyone up to having played 34 games by using their PPG for this season and then next season ends up with each club having results for 76 games

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2020, 09:45:58 AM »
 :oldman" I agree with much written on here,and I am not undermining the issues, but , if I was asked 12 months ago would I accept National North football for a 2nd season, I would have taken  it with open arms. I do realise the .monetary Implications for clubs but feel at this present moment I feel life is more important than any football issues. Sorry if I offend  but life must come first.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2020, 12:51:16 PM »
:oldman" I agree with much written on here,and I am not undermining the issues, but , if I was asked 12 months ago would I accept National North football for a 2nd season, I would have taken  it with open arms. I do realise the .monetary Implications for clubs but feel at this present moment I feel life is more important than any football issues. Sorry if I offend  but life must come first.
   :clap: :clap: :clap:

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2020, 01:46:24 PM »
Already suggested this in an earlier post about a week ago. All you have to do is bring everyone up to having played 34 games by using their PPG for this season and then next season ends up with each club having results for 76 games

PPG has some inherent flaws, if you are going to combine seasons, the fairest option would be to double up and have a fixture list playing all teams home and away twice.  Basically take where we are as a starting point and then take the unplayed matches from this year and add to next years schedule.  As I have said it might mean losing county cups and FA Trophy for a season but would be a more equitable solution.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2020, 02:54:55 PM »
With respect Tony your idea has a lot more flaws than mine.
By adjusting each team in Lynn's league up to 34 games played you are making a very very small adjustment to the table..the max is 2 games worth...I don't think any right minded individual could argue with that. It draws a line under the season now,lets clubs know where they are and enables them to prepare for hopefully a normal number of games next season.
You really can't expect teams to play catch up over coming seasons......with the wet climate we now have it is a struggle to fit in 42 matches...even if you were to stop the cup competitions, you are only saving 6 or so matches.....with my idea there is no reason why the cup comps cant take place as normal....
In addition for your idea to be equitable, as you put it, you would need to ensure the squads stayed the same as they are now, while the catch up games take place....just not feasible !

Dazza, quite agree life has to be about so much more than sport, but if you are the FA/National League and you are going to make a decision about football, you may as well listen to all the clubs and make a decision which represents them across the board.

Blueboy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2020, 04:34:35 PM »
Think they use the Duckworth/Lewis method, it works in cricket and nobody understands it but all accept it!!

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2020, 06:43:58 PM »
There is no ideal way of dong this.  If we must use PPG and a carry-over to next season then, as some clubs have played more home than away games and vice-versa, you could take the average home PPG and the average away PPG and multiply each by 21 to get an end of season total to be carried forward to next season, but then there would still be some clubs complaining that it was unfair as some of their remaining matches were against lower/higher opposition and therefore their PPG would have improved/diminished had the season continued.
Also, to how many decimal places will PPG be calculated, could promotion be won on one hundredth of a point or should we argue about the merits of rounding?

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2020, 07:33:17 PM »
But Nemesis you don't need to use PpG to get to 42 games...York have played the most at 34 played...just bring everyone up to that , which is such a small adjustment from where we stand now and leaves little room for argument and start next season from there

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2020, 07:39:15 PM »
Hereford have played 35
Spennymooor have played 18 homes games so Home/Away ppg times 18  to bring everyone to 36