Author Topic: Chairman's podcast  (Read 3953 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Chairman's podcast
« on: April 10, 2020, 02:40:40 PM »
For those missing SC's programme notes, he has taken to the airwaves with a podcast.  As with his programme notes, could do with a bit of editing but he is one for saying things as he sees them, obviously this sometimes splits opinion but it is what it is. 

Link to listen here https://anchor.fm/stephen-cleeve 

Three topics in the first 'episode' - COVID-19 and finishing the season, furloughing players and free transfers.  No surprises on SC's thoughts on the first item, second was interesting and probably shows why the PFA and pro-footballers have not had the best PR over the past couple of weeks and not sure I would agree with SC's thoughts on free transfers but interesting all the same

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
Re: Chairman's podcast
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 11:52:37 AM »
Having listened to the podcast, its clear that our owner fully understands the running of a non league club, it was interesting to hear his reasons for the signing of Brown from Buxton. It is more of an investment, which by the sound of it, is a very good deal. If some of you get the chance watch Sunderland till I Die, its on Netflix, and you can see the pitfalls of running a big club, and the problems with agents. The problems are the same which ever standard you are at, only on a bigger scale.   

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 02:21:44 PM »
Mac do you think Charlie Methven ( Sunderland till I die, series 2) and our Stephen are related ?  :laughcry:

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 03:04:12 PM »
Mac do you think Charlie Methven ( Sunderland till I die, series 2) and our Stephen are related ?  :laughcry:

Where's Charlie these days?   :dontknow:
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 10:33:14 AM »
Well Mallard, at first I thought Charlie and SC were brothers!

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 11:09:23 AM »
Caught up on episodes 2 & 3 of SC's podcast yesterday with guests from South Shields and Wealdstone respectively.  Interesting and perhaps an unintentional common thread was how both advocated, at least an element of, supporter ownership.  South Shields are in a different position to KLTFC in that its seems that they own their ground (thanks to Geoff Thompson, their chairman) and their supporters share issue has been for ground development, essentially Geoff explained that he is diluting his ownership by issuing new shares not selling some of his shares for personal gain (reimbursement of investment) so all funds raised will be spent within the club.  Unfortunately the connection to Paul Rumens, the Wealdstone chap, broke up when he was explaining how their supporters were involved.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 11:39:01 AM »
Caught up on episodes 2 & 3 of SC's podcast yesterday with guests from South Shields and Wealdstone respectively.  Interesting and perhaps an unintentional common thread was how both advocated, at least an element of, supporter ownership.  South Shields are in a different position to KLTFC in that its seems that they own their ground (thanks to Geoff Thompson, their chairman) and their supporters share issue has been for ground development, essentially Geoff explained that he is diluting his ownership by issuing new shares not selling some of his shares for personal gain (reimbursement of investment) so all funds raised will be spent within the club.  Unfortunately the connection to Paul Rumens, the Wealdstone chap, broke up when he was explaining how their supporters were involved.

...........SC also said he has asked that how each club votes should be made public, not sure what would be gained but he seems to think it is important.

Supporters involvement.

Open and transparent.

The start of a much welcomed change? Even if brought about by current circumstances, a change in the right direction?

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 11:55:09 AM »
I believe in his past programme notes Stephen Cleeve has praised the work of Kidderminster Harriers Independent Supporters' Trust although he didn't seem to mention that they have two members on the KHFC board.
“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 12:45:02 PM »
Supporters involved is alive and kicking at Lynn.  Only have to look at The Clubs just giving page to see how many contributed out of an average gate of 1400.

Supporters involvement should be a two way street.   It’s a lesson that needs learning.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 02:31:39 PM »
Supporters involved is alive and kicking at Lynn.  Only have to look at The Clubs just giving page to see how many contributed out of an average gate of 1400.

Supporters involvement should be a two way street.   It’s a lesson that needs learning.

True, although supporters involvement should not mean "give me your money so I can spend it as I like".

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 02:52:29 PM »
I believe in his past programme notes Stephen Cleeve has praised the work of Kidderminster Harriers Independent Supporters' Trust.

Exactly what work is he referring to?   :dontknow:

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 03:14:08 PM »
The KHIST were raising funds for the club. Basically it was just another dig at the Trust but there was no mention that KHIST were shareholders . This was before the Ground Development Fund was started.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 04:01:37 PM »
The KHIST were raising funds for the club.

Sorry Nemesis, I meant where does it say KHIST were raising funds?

i.e.  Their clubs website/ Facebook/Twitter.
         Or KHIST website/Facebook/Twitter.

I was just wondering exactly which efforts the Chairman was referring to and when.   :dontknow:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 04:04:48 PM »
In fairness to SC he is very unlikely to quote parts that do not fit his argument.  I mean who would do that. 

Best the Chairman just forgets the Trust are there and stops going cap in hand to them looking for a hand out everytime he can’t cover something himself.    He knows the answer.

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2020, 06:00:59 PM »
To quote the KHIST website:
"KHIST 2020 LOTTERY – launched November 2010 – The lottery has now raised over £100,000 for the club, whilst delivering out large cash and other prizes each month to those who take part"

In fairness to SC he is very unlikely to quote parts that do not fit his argument.  I mean who would do that.
Someone who is more interested in scoring cheap political points in order to cause trouble rather than presenting a fair picture.