Author Topic: Chairman's podcast  (Read 3881 times)

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: Chairman's podcast
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 06:18:42 PM »
Hopefully the majority of people can see through these  thinly veiled attempts to have digs at The Trust, just because the Chairman canít get his own way like perhaps he does with other bodies.

If Kiddie is the ideal Stephen is holding up as an example, then a seat on the board is worth circa 50k.   Thatís at an ex League Club who have a greater potential than us at Kings Lynn.  It seems the Chairman has no interest in others being involved at Boardroom level as he has some good people working for the club who perhaps would like the opportunity to become a board member.

Has anyone ever asked Stephen why he is loath to welcome anyone else onboard?   Be interesting to hear his reasoning.  Perhaps he would address this in one of his weekly blogs.

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 07:03:06 PM »
I remember when he advertised the manager's post after Culverhouse left he emphasised that fact that there was no Board to delay decision making.
ďOnce you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shinesĒ

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 07:37:21 PM »
Supporters involved is alive and kicking at Lynn.  Only have to look at The Clubs just giving page to see how many contributed out of an average gate of 1400.

Supporters involvement should be a two way street.   Itís a lesson that needs learning.

Fair play to all who have donated. But 62 people is under 5%.  Not the call to arms the Chairman wanted.

Captain Sensible

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 09:51:35 PM »
The blogs are as predictable as ever. Repetitive and using half the facts so as to be able to state something that he believes will assist his arguement. I really think this kind of behaviour shows how he really views the intelligence of the Clubs supporters. The Chairman just does not seem to be able to help himself. I really don't think this will ever change as its the way he appears to go about everything.
If he really believes he has some good people working at the Club who would maybe like the opportunity to be board members, he has the answer to his cash flow problems in his own hands.
Let these same good people put their hands into their pockets and buy shares into the Club. If they support him all the way as they claim, then 4 x 25k really should not be a problem. The 100k he wanted is there at the stroke of a pen! He will have his own good people on the board who will all see things the same way as he does, therefore avoiding  any dissent.
Finance should not be a problem as he claims he can assist people that want to purchase Clubs. Making arrangements for his own good people to buy into his own Club should therefore be easy to accomplish.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2020, 08:28:30 AM »
Stephen is on the record as having put in circa 500k.   Why would others ( good people they may well be) want to follow that example and put further cash in ( % to share holding).   It doesnít seem a great way to spend your hard earned.   

The only way forward, in the long term, is a self sufficient club.   Now that would have to be at a level that is affordable.   Can anyone honestly say the level we are playing at and the amount of money one individual is having to offer up to compete at this level is a MO for the future ?

Buster spent what was coming in to compete at step 3 ( one level lower than now).  That is maybe really where a club like ours is at.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2020, 12:44:03 PM »
Think you're forgetting Mall where the crowds were heading......over 4,000 for one game and would have averaged 1600 but for the pandemic, after a slow start.
So step 3/4 is where the club potential was at, before the arrival of Culverhouse and the energy and money of the Chairman.
On those crowd levels, the current level or one above is possible if the infra structure is ramped up........however that probably requires new people with expertise in business and marketing to be brought in and I am not sure the Chairman would be comfortable with that.

I am not sure how most of the 60 odd National League clubs are going to survive till next year, unless there are significantly bigger hand outs from the top down.......it maybe that a complete restructuring of non league will take place eventually.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2020, 01:46:47 PM »
Some interesting bits in the NLP this week with people finally waking up to the unsustainability of the model for most National League (inc N&S) clubs, and infact football in general, with Havent & Waterlooville's manager saying the days of £700-900/week for a player in non-league have gone.  The snippet in SC's podcast about 95% of players accepting they won't be paid until the 20-21 season starts (rather than 1st August) raised a concern with me and I got the following reply on Twitter in response to my dislike of 2 year contracts at step 2. 

"Accept the 2 year contracts situation certainly in this current situation not ideal - we only  have 4 players who are contracted from next season for 2 years the rest are just next season only so we can live with it (I hope)"

This looks like total madness (unless I am misreading it) but it appears we have 4 players who have got contracts that run into the 21-22 season?  I am sorry and I don't care who the four players are - NO player is worth a multi year contract at step 2 and the sooner a club higher up the food chain cancels all player contracts the better, because once one does it then many more will follow, particularly down the leagues.  Hopefully at that point the EFL AND the National League will both introduce proper salary caps and external audit requirements to stop the financial doping that lies behind the current model

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2020, 02:45:23 PM »
Think you're forgetting Mall where the crowds were heading......over 4,000 for one game and would have averaged 1600 but for the pandemic, after a slow start.
So step 3/4 is where the club potential was at, before the arrival of Culverhouse and the energy and money of the Chairman.
On those crowd levels, the current level or one above is possible if the infra structure is ramped up........however that probably requires new people with expertise in business and marketing to be brought in and I am not sure the Chairman would be comfortable with that.

I am not sure how most of the 60 odd National League clubs are going to survive till next year, unless there are significantly bigger hand outs from the top down.......it maybe that a complete restructuring of non league will take place eventually.

50/50 on this one Kes.

The point is that money has been thrown at the Club. That's the reason for the on field success, and its not sustainable. Even if we were playing at a higher level, unless we were winning and challenging, I think the gates would fall as they have done previously. IMO winning games is what brings the people through the turn styles, more than the level they play at.

I agree that other activities need to be ramped up. You need class on the pitch to succeed, and you need class off the pitch, with the expertise in business and marketing, to succeed in that area. No Club has a God given right to expect people to fall over themselves to give it sponsorship or hire their facilities. There's a lot of competition for sponsorship etc out there these days, and most Companies will expect a return of some sort when investing in sponsorship. Gone are the days when these firms will just hand over a cheque because you are the Towns Football Club.

I expect it will be even more difficult and require even more expertise in this area when the current crisis is over. Many firms and individuals will have a lot more to worry about than giving money to a Football Club. Still, its a job that needs doing, but for any Club to succeed they need to make sure they put as much effort into this area, and have the right people, as they do the playing side.

So, if the business model at Lynn changed and the Club was sustainable without Benefactors funds, do I think the Club could maintain this level or even the one above? Personally, I doubt it, but would obviously love to be proven wrong on this one.

Of course the above could all be completely irrelevant anyway. The World as a whole will be changed when this is all over, and I'd be surprised if many are still of the opinion that this won't impact on football (and Football is a minor matter in the grand scheme of things).

As someone said on the forum last week.....................the reset button is about to be pressed.

:scarf:

If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2020, 05:30:58 PM »
Think your argument about crowds being dependent on results, isn't so relevant at level 1 non league as it was or would be at lower levels B &G ( at least as it was under the old model before the virus).
It's never truer than now that the past isn't always a guide to the future. Lynn 's attendances in the past at step 3/4 and some matches at step 2, may have relied heavily on results. However , at step 1, the draw of the match and especially the away following of much of the opposition, would I think have guaranteed an average attendance of 1600-2000 in the season, even if the team were to struggle........so I can't really agree with your stance there.

But for sure,now, it's reset and rethink time .......the costs could well fall steeply and long contracts could be a real burden. I suspect sponsorship will also be far harder to find and of course admission prices will need to come down.........a completely new model............while this is also feeding through really significant monies need to be redistributed from top to bottom.....I can see next season being one in which no games are played at all in the UK and the English game gradually changes shape over this time, with fewer leagues, fewer teams and fewer matches per season.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2020, 05:35:27 PM »
...As someone said on the forum last week.....................the reset button is about to be pressed.

This is my worry about the contracts that SC has already handed out - the world may well be a different place but we could still be saddled with a pre-COVID wage structure, not only for 20-21 (whatever that may look like) but also for some player staff, into 21-22. 

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2020, 06:14:06 PM »
Think your argument about crowds being dependent on results, isn't so relevant at level 1 non league as it was or would be at lower levels B &G ( at least as it was under the old model before the virus).
It's never truer than now that the past isn't always a guide to the future. Lynn 's attendances in the past at step 3/4 and some matches at step 2, may have relied heavily on results. However , at step 1, the draw of the match and especially the away following of much of the opposition, would I think have guaranteed an average attendance of 1600-2000 in the season, even if the team were to struggle........so I can't really agree with your stance there.

Yes, we'll have to agree to disagree.

:scarf:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2020, 06:45:23 PM »
Tony,  what did you think of the Blyth Spartans ideas on re-structuring at EFL 2 and National Leagues in this weeks NLP?

Certainly made a lot of sense and worth further thought by the powers that be.,   Not sure they would be a great advantage to Clubs like Lynn who are stuck out on limb, but hasnít that always been the case.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2020, 11:44:12 AM »
Source: BBC

Mark Palios: Tranmere chairman expects 'double figure' EFL insolvencies

Former Football Association CEO Mark Palios says a "double figure" number of English Football League clubs could go into insolvency because of coronavirus.

The EFL and Professional Footballers' Association proposed on Tuesday that clubs in Leagues One and Two defer up to 25% of players' wages for April.

Tranmere chairman Palios said clubs will still not be able to pay on time.

But he added: "The PFA and EFL are starting to collaborate which loosens the paralysis we've seen."

Speaking to BBC Radio 4's Today Programme, Palios continued: "It will probably assist with the April wages, but I still think that certainly the clubs will be unable to meet the wages in April and then more in May."

English football is on an indefinite hiatus, with no play in any of the top four divisions since Tuesday, 10 March - and there is no suggested date for when it could resume.

Last August, Bury became the first team to drop out of the EFL since Maidstone's liquidation in 1992 - and while Palios thinks most clubs will ultimately survive, he anticipates serious financial issues for many.

"I think a certain number of clubs, on the basis of they can't pay contractual wages, will move down the path to a formal insolvency," he added.

"I think it'll be into double figures."

No crowds at games until end of year?

Andy Pilley, chairman of fellow League One club Fleetwood Town, praised the EFL and PFA, describing Tuesday's conditional wage deferral as "appropriate" and "sensible".

"It's not going to solve the problem, but it's a step in the right direction," said Pilley, in a video blog.

However, he agreed with Palios regarding the number of clubs at severe financial risk as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

Pilley also predicted that matches will be played behind closed doors when the sport is allowed to resume, and believes there may not be any crowds watching matches until the end of the year.

"It (playing behind closed doors) is the only way we will be able to conclude the season, which is absolutely essential," he said.

"I've heard it suggested that we shouldn't conclude the season - I'm sorry, but I disagree. If you enter a competition, you have an obligation to complete it; to the teams involved in promotion and relegation, supporters, broadcasters and sponsors.

"I am the eternal optimist, however, I must be a realist. My prediction is I think there could be no games in 2020 in front of crowds.

"I base that on a statement made by the chief executive of the Bundesliga. They're a good two or three weeks ahead of us, and he (Christian Seifert) said he expects there to be no live football in 2020."

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2020, 01:51:41 PM »
Tony,  what did you think of the Blyth Spartans ideas on re-structuring at EFL 2 and National Leagues in this weeks NLP?

Certainly made a lot of sense and worth further thought by the powers that be.,   Not sure they would be a great advantage to Clubs like Lynn who are stuck out on limb, but hasnít that always been the case.

I read the article and can see why it would appeal to them - Blyth is a bloody long way from lots of places so the more regional things are the better off they will be, conversely for KLT we would probably be as well off in the National as we would National North in terms of travelling.  Likewise, elsewhere in the BBC article that B&G has referenced Andy Pilley from Fleetwood is suggesting making leagues 1 AND 2 regional (again citing travelling costs)

Unfortunately there is now such a huge gap between each of the divisions from steps 1-5, mainly through the distortion of TV money that it is difficult to row back from, although I would question whether the country can support 5 divisions of 'full-time' football clubs, post COVID.  Certainly a case for decreasing the sides in the Championship to (say) 20 where TV money forms a bigger slice of club income compared to gate receipts ie loss of 3 home fixtures would have a lesser impact.  Division 1 needs supporting from above as its unlikely to secure its own TV deal so will always have to live off the scraps from above but again if that was it for 'league' football then maybe that could be made to work financially.  If you then made the current div 2 the pinnacle of non-league (possibly full time) then that could survive with a smallish BT type deal, then make everything below part-time within a regional structure.  The biggest thing for me is that whatever rises from the rubble is that it is built on sustainability and for me that means two things - a salary cap at each level (all the way down to the top of part-time ie KLT) and proper, independent audit of club finances. 

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2020, 03:40:16 PM »
Can understand the regionalisation of lower level of the EFL at Div 2 and down into National League.  Less travelling bigger gates through more local fixtures.   Certainly that would help Clubs.  However the big issue is Clubs paying out wages that they cannot afford.  Surely low League and Non League have to now cut their cloth in the new world, whenever that comes around.

There is talk of Club owners looking to use the CV pandemic as the excuse to exit clubs and leave them high and dry. Maybe the FA should also use this new era to look again at The fit and proper criteria and bring into play for all levels.

Lots more to play out in the game of football over the next few months.

Tony, did I read it correctly that all Lynn players ( loaners apart) are all on contract until the end of April 2021 ?  So much for what the guy from Havant was saying about earnings as far as Lynn are concerned.