Author Topic: Chairman's podcast  (Read 3915 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Re: Chairman's podcast
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2020, 05:27:32 PM »
...Tony, did I read it correctly that all Lynn players ( loaners apart) are all on contract until the end of April 2021 ?  So much for what the guy from Havant was saying about earnings as far as Lynn are concerned.

The quote from SC on Twitter was:
"Accept the 2 year contracts situation certainly in this current situation not ideal - we only  have 4 players who are contracted from next season for 2 years the rest are just next season only so we can live with it (I hope)"

I suppose the key words are 'the rest' but would take it that we have a good chunk of this years squad already on contract for next year and four on contract until the end of 21-22 season - absolute madness for a step 2 side. 

It's all well and good people talking about 'pressing reset' and the like (and I would certainly be in favour of wholesale changes throughout the leagues) but this is where the FA and the PFA need to show some leadership and come to some sort of arrangement where pre-COVID contracts can be cancelled by clubs to allow them to survive.  Yes individual players may end up potentially losing out but I feel that is a price worth paying to avoid seeing a whole raft of clubs at all levels of the pyramid going into administration as their only route out of these contracts. 

Again I think this would have to come hand in hand with some form of salary cap from the Championship all the way down to NLN / NLS, would rather see that than a more robust 'fit and proper' test as that has proven to be very difficult to implement even in the woolly form it is now.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2020, 08:44:15 PM »
Tony.

The PFA and FA may well be involved in such discussions, but a contract is a contract. The fact that its a football contract makes no difference and they will be subject to contractual law. If FA, PFA and Clubs just try to cancel contracts, I can see the Players, Agents and their Solicitors being busy in the coming months.

Apart from that, didn't the Chairman say only recently that he has always honoured contracts, in and out of the game? If so, I can't see him wanting to break that habit now.

He's put a lot of money into the Club (or is it better to say loaned a lot of money). To have any chance of recouping it, he's got to find a way to keep things going. If there's no income but lots of expenditure, mainly due to the wages of the contracted players he's signed, the option of failing to find a way of financing things until the gates are open again, can't really be on his famous table.

Maybe the investor is still being courted.  :dontknow:

So, unlessThe Chairman has got a trick up his sleeve, is he between  the old rock and hard place?  Does he throw even more at it, knowing he's unlikely to ever see it back again, or cut losses now and say goodbye to the money he's loaned the Club?

Unless players play ball, and are willing to cancel contracts themselves (I would assume the Chairman would allow this to happen) are there any other options? Have I missed anything?

Obviously if we kick-off in September, things may well pan out ok, but I wouldn't put my money on that happening.
 :scarf:
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2020, 11:59:41 PM »
Tony.

The PFA and FA may well be involved in such discussions, but a contract is a contract. The fact that its a football contract makes no difference and they will be subject to contractual law. If FA, PFA and Clubs just try to cancel contracts, I can see the Players, Agents and their Solicitors being busy in the coming months.

Apart from that, didn't the Chairman say only recently that he has always honoured contracts, in and out of the game? If so, I can't see him wanting to break that habit now.

He's put a lot of money into the Club (or is it better to say loaned a lot of money). To have any chance of recouping it, he's got to find a way to keep things going. If there's no income but lots of expenditure, mainly due to the wages of the contracted players he's signed, the option of failing to find a way of financing things until the gates are open again, can't really be on his famous table.

Maybe the investor is still being courted.  :dontknow:

So, unlessThe Chairman has got a trick up his sleeve, is he between  the old rock and hard place?  Does he throw even more at it, knowing he's unlikely to ever see it back again, or cut losses now and say goodbye to the money he's loaned the Club?

Unless players play ball, and are willing to cancel contracts themselves (I would assume the Chairman would allow this to happen) are there any other options? Have I missed anything?

Obviously if we kick-off in September, things may well pan out ok, but I wouldn't put my money on that happening.

"The price of investments and the income from them can go down as well as up and neither is guaranteed. Investors may not get back the capital they invested"  :countingmoney:

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2020, 08:47:47 AM »
...The PFA and FA may well be involved in such discussions, but a contract is a contract. The fact that its a football contract makes no difference and they will be subject to contractual law. If FA, PFA and Clubs just try to cancel contracts, I can see the Players, Agents and their Solicitors being busy in the coming months...
B&G, I take the point but football contracts are not 'normal' employment contracts - employers and employees can't just walk away from them in the way that would apply to the rest of us with a bit of notice.  Hence the PFA need to be involved and unfortunately they don't have a great record at 'looking at the wider picture' but football needs them to accept that the 'reset button' needs to be pressed and they need to be part of the solution.  Now I can't say how it 'should' pan out but when there is lots of talk about a number of clubs looking at the administration route to get from under player contracts as the reality of the impact of this virus on future income starts to become more and more apparent.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2020, 09:39:58 AM »
...The PFA and FA may well be involved in such discussions, but a contract is a contract. The fact that its a football contract makes no difference and they will be subject to contractual law. If FA, PFA and Clubs just try to cancel contracts, I can see the Players, Agents and their Solicitors being busy in the coming months...
B&G, I take the point but football contracts are not 'normal' employment contracts - employers and employees can't just walk away from them in the way that would apply to the rest of us with a bit of notice.

This is the point I am making. If its a contract, its a contract. Neither side can just walk away from them. Even if the PFA, FA and Clubs come up with a suggestion themselves or try and steam roll the players, its still contractual law and the end result (in regards to contracts) will not be for the Football authorities to decide (without the individual players agreeing).

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2020, 09:50:47 AM »
Now I can't say how it 'should' pan out but when there is lots of talk about a number of clubs looking at the administration route to get from under player contracts as the reality of the impact of this virus on future income starts to become more and more apparent.

Pre Pack?   :dontknow:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2020, 12:10:22 PM »
Contracts are there to protect both sides.   They canít just be ripped up because one side or the other decides it. 

It might be the case that certain clubs will look for Administration as a way out of their current plight.   Does that not come with a 2 flight demotion?

Clubs in the future may look very carefully at offering long term contracts at serious money, going forward.  Would that be a bad thing ?   Short term pain long term gain might be the forward for a lot of lower league and non league clubs.   Certainly the wind of change is going to happen and the days of agents and players holding the whip hand might be about to change.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2020, 01:56:35 PM »
Latest on Twitter

"@BBCRadioManc understands Oldham Athletic have asked players to move onto the furlough scheme or face redundancy. The Latics are not willing to top up wages above 80% meaning those earning above £2,500 per month face significant pay cut. "

Think this may just be the start, although Oldham were always likely to be fairly near the front of the queue on this.  Much as employment law should protect players the truth is that if clubs don't have the money they can't pay the wages.  That's why it needs a 'higher level' arrangement thought the EFL, National League, FA and PFA to sort some sort of compromise rather than lots of individual agreements, this looks like a decent start https://www.thepfa.com/news/2020/4/14/joint-statement-from-the-efl-pfa - extract below with particular emphasis on final sentence

"As a result of these discussions, it has been agreed that the EFL and PFA will form a working group of six club captains/PFA Delegates from League One and Two, supported by a representative nominated by the PFA, to engage in dialogue in respect of playersí wages. While the working group will not be a formal negotiating body, it will help to ensure that players are fully informed as they continue to hold discussions with individual clubs.
In establishing the new group, the EFL and PFA acknowledge the common problems faced by the League and it's member clubs, and the need for all parties to be part of a solution. Dialogue with the working group will enable the League both to listen to the concerns of players and to explain the extent of the financial challenges. It will focus not just on the short term (May and June) but will address the medium-term position from the start of July onwards and into next season."

Without wishing to add to the doom and gloom, quick article from AFC Fylde chairman https://nonleaguedaily.com/im-not-gonna-support-the-football-club-at-the-level-that-ive-supported-it-before-during-shutdown-afc-fylde-chairman/  with the key takeaway being that he (rightly) says "itís morally wrong for me to ask all my managers in my, shall we say, Ďreal businessí, to take pay cuts, or to furlough people on the government scheme, and to have to terminate some people, while at the same time fund my football club Ė which, as I explained, of that 95 percent is wages Ė and to pay every single player full wages"

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2020, 03:40:42 PM »
Without wishing to add to the doom and gloom, quick article from AFC Fylde chairman https://nonleaguedaily.com/im-not-gonna-support-the-football-club-at-the-level-that-ive-supported-it-before-during-shutdown-afc-fylde-chairman/  with the key takeaway being that he (rightly) says "itís morally wrong for me to ask all my managers in my, shall we say, Ďreal businessí, to take pay cuts, or to furlough people on the government scheme, and to have to terminate some people, while at the same time fund my football club Ė which, as I explained, of that 95 percent is wages Ė and to pay every single player full wages"

100% agree with him and would like to think that any players would understand the situation and not cause any problems.   :dontknow:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2020, 08:38:36 AM »
 Interesting listening to the Chairmans podcast.   He certainly gives some thought provoking views on various subjects.   Some really off the wall ideas involving ifollow ( whose marketing is not very good, cough).   Not sure Stephen has done his homework on facts and figures though in particular when he talks about Rotherham and their gates.

Some other interesting snippets from the Chairman on overhead costs like water, Electricity and rent ! ( really ? Who does he pay that to? ). Think we are very lucky as Club when compared to say Boston Utd who have been paying 72K per annum for York Street.  Good that we have an understanding Local council.

Stephen also addressed the issue of loans he has made to the Club which it seems are paid out from his other non Football profit making businessís.   

All very much worth a listen.   

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2020, 01:39:32 PM »
Finally caught up with the latest episodes (5 & 6) of SC's podcasts, could still do with a bit of editing although he has previously explained that this isn't currently possible in how they are recorded and his technical expertise but 90 mins + could be viewed as 'too long'.  That said two interesting guests with a common thread

Episode 5 had Martin Knight from Bradford PA who seems to have an impressive CV in business but still new in post and to football, so will be interesting to watch how things develop.  SC seems keen on the streaming model and that was the main topic with Martin but think both may be a bit optimistic with possible numbers and value, also to come out was how little of the National League's BT money made it's way down to NLS and NLN clubs.  One thing this COVID situation has highlighted is the gaps between the various steps in the football ladder and maybe post-COVID we may see a realignment - could argue that div 2 and NL have more in common than with div 1 and certainly NLN and NLS clubs will probably look more like their step 3 counterparts than NL sides in the future.

Episode 6 had Kieron Maguire, who has written a book - The Price of Football - and is a lecturer on football finance.  Admitted he didn't know much about step 2 but some good insights to football finance in general.  Funniest bit for me was when talking about streaming and suggested that clubs needed to be realistic about where they are in the pecking order and that ultimately it would be a race to the bottom ie if all of football adopted the streaming model and Everton were offering their games at £5 a go where would that leave a step 2 side in terms of pricing?  Think the penny sort of dropped for SC although he bravely carried on thinking that there was more value to KLTFC than is probably the case (can never accuse SC of underselling when it comes to pricing!).

All in all the podcasts are an interesting listen both as a general fan but also from a Lynn fan's perspective to give a better view on SC's thought processes.  He is obviously open to ideas and changes that would benefit the club and the podcast is certainly a way of expanding his (and our) knowledge but I am still concerned that there isn't a board in place at the club as dictatorships, no matter how benign, are rarely the best form of management model.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2020, 05:46:31 PM »
Iíve listened to some of each podcast, but must say at 1.5 hours is beyond my attention span for listening to two people chat.

Having said that I do find interesting snippets and have to congratulate SC in some of his forward thinking ideas/ways.  Although for our level some bounce straight off the ball.  Still you have to admire the guys sprit at giving it a go and doing something to keep that fans engaged during these turbulent times.

In the last podcast in  the Q&A section ( best part for me) it was interesting to hear that SC hasnít ruled out supporter involvement in the Club at Board level, going forward.  Be interesting at some point  on one of his podcasts to see how he thinks that will play out.   Also how he sees other future investments in the Club to help share the load. 

One other podcast Iím sure the fans would love to hear is one involving SC with Ian Culverhouse.  Getting his thoughts on the past season.  Thoughts on the future.  Squad strength.  Plus the game in this Country as it stands today. 

How about it Mr Chairman ?

I was reading the NLP at the weekend ( my Sunday highlight). Two articles caught my attention.
Boreham wood Chairman stating he canít see any more football being played at our level in 2020.  The 2nd article was on National League Top Div side Solihull releasing 15 players last week.

Again would love to hear Stephenís take on those 2 news stories

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2020, 01:13:51 PM »
I have suggested he could have someone from a Supporters Trust run club or maybe the FSA as a future guest.  I had thought that Chester might be a good option but they may be a bit busy at present with the initial proposed takeover which now looks like it has fallen through.

Would be interesting to hear SC's take on both those issues in the NLP, although I would also add Paul Doswell's idea of a salary cap to the pot - SC has previously stated his dislike of FFP and this also formed part of his conversation with Kieron but I really do think this has to be part of the 'reset button' to include both a salary cap and some form of FFP regs all the way down to step 2, maybe even further.  They don't have to be particularly onerous to comply with but just need take out the financial doping that goes on up and down the leagues.

Not sure an interview with IC would fit in with the tone of the podcasts and maybe something he could do as a separate exercise as sort of 'fans forum' either with Zoom or maybe something KLT TV could look at doing?

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2020, 01:50:39 PM »
Not sure an interview with IC would fit in with the tone of the podcasts and maybe something he could do as a separate exercise as sort of 'fans forum' either with Zoom or maybe something KLT TV could look at doing?

Fully agree Tony. That sounds a much better option.