Author Topic: The big vote  (Read 29195 times)

dillydilly

• View Profile
Re: The big vote
« Reply #270 on: June 17, 2020, 09:47:43 AM »
Radical plan coming up that will probably be stamped on rather than adopted, but here it comes.  The York crowd of 4K showed just what potential KLT have to attract very impressive crowds when “big games” turn up.  If we are fortunate enough to have last season’s incredible effort rewarded with promotion, “big games” will be available on a regular basis.  There are supporters and neutrals who are obviously able to pay the relevant price basically once a fortnight, to watch a home game.  The money they pay must be budgeted into their general life expenditure, and they have not had that outlay in recent weeks and months.  Here’s the rub...  From now on, why couldn’t or wouldn’t a high proportion of regular supporters start paying their usual entrance fee, money they have already shown they can afford, and are usually willing to pay.  If the average outlay in normal times is, say, £15 Per fortnight, would those  supporters be willing to start putting that money again into the club, into a special fund and account, at the rate of £15 a fortnight, having set up (usually digitally) a payment system.  What a boost to the club, the Chairman, and players that input would be, with a likely excellent season to follow (eventually !).  Ironically, I don’t believe football should re-start until the virus is vanquished - but we could do this to build the club in a big way....   I’ll sit back for the brickbats !

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 17, 2020, 10:31:11 AM »
Radical plan coming up that will probably be stamped on rather than adopted, but here it comes.  The York crowd of 4K showed just what potential KLT have to attract very impressive crowds when “big games” turn up.  If we are fortunate enough to have last season’s incredible effort rewarded with promotion, “big games” will be available on a regular basis.  There are supporters and neutrals who are obviously able to pay the relevant price basically once a fortnight, to watch a home game.  The money they pay must be budgeted into their general life expenditure, and they have not had that outlay in recent weeks and months.  Here’s the rub...  From now on, why couldn’t or wouldn’t a high proportion of regular supporters start paying their usual entrance fee, money they have already shown they can afford, and are usually willing to pay.  If the average outlay in normal times is, say, £15 Per fortnight, would those  supporters be willing to start putting that money again into the club, into a special fund and account, at the rate of £15 a fortnight, having set up (usually digitally) a payment system.  What a boost to the club, the Chairman, and players that input would be, with a likely excellent season to follow (eventually !).  Ironically, I don’t believe football should re-start until the virus is vanquished - but we could do this to build the club in a big way....   I’ll sit back for the brickbats !

Do we really need this? People can already donate through the War Chest initiative, although the minimum amount appears to be £20 if submitted on line.
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 17, 2020, 10:40:38 AM »
Fair comment, B & G.  The existing fund though, IMO, isn’t focused or likely to bring in regular donations.  I just feel that the “Admission” charge would make it regular and consistent.  BTW, I do appreciate that many people will feel the pinch, or even lose jobs in the current situation, but still perhaps many could do this...  ah well - each to their own opinion...

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 17, 2020, 10:47:11 AM »
Radical plan coming up that will probably be stamped on rather than adopted, but here it comes.  The York crowd of 4K showed just what potential KLT have to attract very impressive crowds when “big games” turn up.  If we are fortunate enough to have last season’s incredible effort rewarded with promotion, “big games” will be available on a regular basis.  There are supporters and neutrals who are obviously able to pay the relevant price basically once a fortnight, to watch a home game.  The money they pay must be budgeted into their general life expenditure, and they have not had that outlay in recent weeks and months.  Here’s the rub...  From now on, why couldn’t or wouldn’t a high proportion of regular supporters start paying their usual entrance fee, money they have already shown they can afford, and are usually willing to pay.  If the average outlay in normal times is, say, £15 Per fortnight, would those  supporters be willing to start putting that money again into the club, into a special fund and account, at the rate of £15 a fortnight, having set up (usually digitally) a payment system.  What a boost to the club, the Chairman, and players that input would be, with a likely excellent season to follow (eventually !).  Ironically, I don’t believe football should re-start until the virus is vanquished - but we could do this to build the club in a big way....   I’ll sit back fo
r the brickbats !
  l have to say,had you thought that some of those people may well still be unable to return to work as yet, they will probably have taken a mortgage break, possibly even a credit card break,this money still has to be repaid, it's not given for nothing.  The idea is possibly good but there are many people who have been struggling for the past 3 months and donating money they maybe need to help catch up arrears accured are probably not the top of there list. Sorry to put a damper on the issue you raised,but hard facts are there for all to see at this moment in time.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 17, 2020, 11:31:22 AM »
On the subject of Chester and ‘War Chests’. I see that Chester (supporters owned Club) have raised an impressive 26k in the opening week.   How much has Lynn’s appeal
Raised in its opening 3 weeks ?

What with Darlo and now Chester getting great support from their fans, are there lessons Stephen Cleeve can learn from this, or at least be prepared to learn from this ?

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 17, 2020, 02:12:52 PM »
Yes, Dazza, I see your point entirely.  My idea was probably a bit wishful thinking, especially in the current circumstances, and those that could even be added when we try to build trade deals worldwide.  However, I do feel that fund-raising initiatives need to be focused by an aim, rather than just a final target, if they are to achieve consistent support and donations.  I do wish the current war chest success, but I haven’t yet contributed, although I shall do if that consistency becomes apparent.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 17, 2020, 02:21:16 PM »

DD, appreciate the thought and as Mallard says under Trust run ownership (Chester / Darlington) this sort of thing has worked elsewhere - whether it is the mindset of the west Norfolk population or the current ownership model is open to debate but there doesn't seem to be the support for this sort of initiative at the club on any sort of scale. 

I really do think that we need the FotL to step into this role but this will also need buy in from both the fan base and the current owner.  FotL had a number of fundraising schemes last season that had 'patchy' uptake so I guess we have to wait and see what they come up with for next season and whether the fans will find one to really get behind.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 17, 2020, 04:42:19 PM »
Thanks for the inputs.  Yes, I do appreciate the problems that could arise, either through a degree of apathy, or from the point of personal financial circumstances.  However, to simplify the idea, and to make support and donations consistent, I’m basically suggesting £7.50 a week from those in a position to donate, AND provide such a high level of football when possible...  Just for fun, if the York crowd was 4,000, and we get promoted which may attract say half that crowd, and the “behind closed doors” continues for, say a year, we would have £7.50 x 2,000 x 52 weeks = £780,000 !!  That would all have gone in the war chest.  So, are there 2,000 out there who would love to see National League top level football who would be willing and able to set-up and pay £7.50 a week for a year to do it ?  It’s a couple of pints and a coffee a week !!

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 17, 2020, 05:17:32 PM »
DD, given that our average attendance this year was 1417, I think finding 2000 people to pay £7.50 for something they wouldn't see (in your scenario) is pie in the sky.  Looking at the existing supporter base, the reality is that the FotL '12th man' had less that 20 members (think it was 12 or 13) willing to pay £5 per win (so not even every game). 

Much as it would be great to think otherwise, the York game was a one off and if we could average 1500-1600 in NL next year (assuming we are in the lower half) I think that should be seen as a success, personally for budgeting purposes I would be expecting less than that as I think the crowds this year were boosted by a team doing well rather than supressed by being at NLN rather than NL level. 

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 17, 2020, 05:45:08 PM »
IMHO. All bets are off with regard to crowds next season.   Come October when all the Furlough support for business is finished we could end up with unemployment figures at unprecedented levels.  I  Think those people who are out of work will have more important things to spend their money on than £20 plus at The at the Walks.   It might also have an adverse affect on travelling support as well.

My hope is that with players being paid 30% less ( SC’s words) that the savings will go to support those Lynn fans who cannot afford the £20 admission fee.   Let’s try and make it affordable for all.

somerset linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 17, 2020, 06:16:43 PM »
When do we actually get the result from the NL. :scarf: :scarf:

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 17, 2020, 06:27:56 PM »
Yes, I do agree that unemployment etc will have a major impact, so I certainly understand Mallard’s point that people in that unfortunate position will not have football expenditure as a priority.  However, I think the crowd estimate of something like 1500 is rather pessimistic, as, should we gain the promotion, most games will be as attractive as the York game last season.  As for not paying the price of 2 pints and a coffee per week to acquire and thrive in the top non-league in the country - IF, and only if people’s finances had improved in a year’s time, it would show we aren’t up to the level to which we aspire...

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 17, 2020, 06:47:55 PM »
Dilly an interesting comparison would be season 08/09 when we won the Southern Prem and compare the average League attendance to the following season when we were bottom half in National League North.

Admin do you have those figures ?

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 17, 2020, 07:09:24 PM »
We are the champions!