Author Topic: Irrespective of current situation, its no wonder football is in trouble.  (Read 1692 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

somerset linnet

• View Profile
I read the report in the Daily Mail B&G. It was astounding what was being paid from the Managers down to the groundsman, apparently a League 1 Kitman was on £56,000 a year. After this virus has run it's course and things get back to something like normal I think football in general will have to take a good look at itself and return to the real world. :scarf:

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
I read the report in the Daily Mail B&G. It was astounding what was being paid from the Managers down to the groundsman, apparently a League 1 Kitman was on £56,000 a year. After this virus has run it's course and things get back to something like normal I think football in general will have to take a good look at itself and return to the real world. :scarf:

Its ridiculous from top to bottom.

And these are the same clubs paying these wages that go cap in hand to their supporters, many of whom are having to manage their household finances on circa 20-25k a year.

Something not right there!
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

KES80

• View Profile
Going forward I feel the governing bodies need to set ceilings for each level of English football. Ceilings for maximum squad wages, ceilings for manager and staff salaries etc and these need to reflect where we are now and where football as just a sport should sit in society.
If organisations such as Sky offer exorbitant amounts, then money should be gently fed to the lower levels and excesses should  be taken in by the government and re distributed around the economy for the greater good.

Mallard

• View Profile

Its ridiculous from top to bottom.

And these are the same clubs paying these wages that go cap in hand to their supporters, many of whom are having to manage their household finances on circa 20-25k a year.

Something not right there!

Canít blame the clubs for asking but surprised if people earning 20-25k are prepared  to hand over their hard earned.

Like Robin Hood in reverse.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
Going forward I feel the governing bodies need to set ceilings for each level of English football. Ceilings for maximum squad wages, ceilings for manager and staff salaries etc and these need to reflect where we are now and where football as just a sport should sit in society.
Even if they only rely on market forces, there will probably be a lot less money around to pay such silly amounts.
It will be interesting to see how players respond to this, and also how Managers will cope when they have less to offer the Players when in comes to wages.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
I read the report in the Daily Mail B&G. It was astounding what was being paid from the Managers down to the groundsman, apparently a League 1 Kitman was on £56,000 a year.

In some cases, jobs for the boys.

No wonder some people are so keen to protect their positions at their clubs.

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
Even if they only rely on market forces, there will probably be a lot less money around to pay such silly amounts.
It will be interesting to see how players respond to this, and also how Managers will cope when they have less to offer the Players when in comes to wages.

Then you'll see how good the manager really is. But there will still be the senseless Chairman/owner prepared to gamble it all, and more, on 32 red.  :countingmoney:

Mallard

• View Profile

Surely players under contract wonít have to worry in the short term.   Same with Managers.   Take Paul   Lambert, was given a new 5 year deal only recently.   Remember Alan Pardoe was on a 10 year deal at Newcastle that is due to expire in the next few months.

Letís hope this dire situation we find ourselves in brings some of the owners of Football Clubs to their senses.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile

Surely players under contract wonít have to worry in the short term.   Same with Managers.   Take Paul   Lambert, was given a new 5 year deal only recently.   Remember Alan Pardoe was on a 10 year deal at Newcastle that is due to expire in the next few months.

Letís hope this dire situation we find ourselves in brings some of the owners of Football Clubs to their senses.

Well that raises another question, this time more locally than global. If, as we are led to believe, all Lynn players are on at least a 12 month contract and there is no money coming through the gates (ie what good financially is behind closed doors football to clubs unless you have big Sky bucks), where will the money come from to pay the players wages and other bills, if next season is a washout due to the virus?

Mallard

• View Profile
Surely if no games are played then contracts at Non League level wonít be expected to be honoured ?

Though it might be suggested as salaries were paid out for April when no Football was played a precident has been set.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
Surely if no games are played then contracts at Non League level wonít be expected to be honoured ?

Though it might be suggested as salaries were paid out for April when no Football was played a precident has been set.

Just a guess, but I would have thought that any sensible contract would include Force majeure.

It's a common clause in contracts that essentially frees both parties from liability or obligation when an extraordinary event or circumstance beyond the control of the parties, such as a war, strike, riot, crime, epidemic or an event described by the legal term "act of God", which prevents one or both parties from fulfilling their obligations under the contract.

Basically, it's generally intended to include occurrences beyond reasonable control.

Squire of Langham

• View Profile
Money has ruined the game. To think that the top earner in League One is earning far more in a week than a nurse does in a year is obscene. I have lost total interest in the Premier League, can't even be bothered to watch MOD. Just look at them now wanting to restart to PL in June, obviously to stop repaying sponsorship money. It won't happen but it just shows you what is on their mind.

I hope supporters finally wake up they're taking you for mugs, support your local team COYL.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
Money has ruined the game. To think that the top earner in League One is earning far more in a week than a nurse does in a year is obscene. I have lost total interest in the Premier League, can't even be bothered to watch MOD. Just look at them now wanting to restart to PL in June, obviously to stop repaying sponsorship money. It won't happen but it just shows you what is on their mind.

I hope supporters finally wake up they're taking you for mugs, support your local team COYL.

:clap: :comeon: :clap: :comeon: :clap: :comeon:

100% agree. I don't even subscribe to Sky these days. I only used to subscribe for the Premiership matches, but don't bother anymore.

If money hasn't already ruined football at all levels, its certainly seems to be trying its best to do so.

Mallard

• View Profile
Squire sone very wise words there and Iím with you all the way.  Premier League Football ? Canít remember the last time I watched it live in the Flesh or on TV.   Trouble is it filters down.  Non League players have never had it so good in terms of money there to be grabbed.

Do you really blame the players for grabbing all thatís on offer or do you blame the owners of the clubs for bank rolling Clubs for whatever period they are in situ ?