Author Topic: Venue cancellation  (Read 1384 times)

YouSayItBest

• Moderated
    • View Profile
Venue cancellation
« on: May 08, 2020, 10:59:35 AM »
What are everyoneís views on something I saw on Facebook a day or two ago.

So I was going to have a 40th birthday party at King's Lynn Town Football Club but it was obviously cancelled due to government advice. I asked for a refund and was refused,  but offered to rebook in 12 months. I declined as Iím not working at the moment and the money is more important than a party. After Stephen Cleeve the owner acknowledged there was no terms and conditions they still refused a refund. After many emails back and forth and even pointing out that accoarding to the CMA Iím entitled to a full refund, Iím now being ignored, this maybe because theyíre not there but there was no out of office automated email.
Iím not one to name a shame but it is unprofessional and a blatant flouting of consumer rights.
I have attached a link for the advice from the CMA on the gov.uk website for those of you affected in a similar way.
I also now feel like I have no alternative to report them to the CMA

Nemesis

• View Profile
Re: Venue cancellation
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 11:23:00 AM »
and a little bit tactless of Mr Cleeve to take to Twitter to say how well one of his investments is doing.
ďOnce you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shinesĒ

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 11:38:35 AM »
Maybe email Mark Hearle direct as he is head of commercial activity. 

A deposit on the Clubhouse canít amount to a whole heap of beans.  Poor from the club if this is true. 

Maybe Mark would like to comment on behalf of the Club

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 12:46:07 PM »
Maybe email Mark Hearle direct as he is head of commercial activity. 

A deposit on the Clubhouse canít amount to a whole heap of beans.  Poor from the club if this is true. 

Maybe Mark would like to comment on behalf of the Club

I believe Mark has been furloughed.
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 01:40:53 PM »
Really? He has been taking part in some of Stephen Cleeveís podcasts, so I would hardly think so.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 10:58:38 AM »
Really? He has been taking part in some of Stephen Cleeveís podcasts, so I would hardly think so.

Pretty certain Mark has been furloughed.  I don't think his appearances on SC's podcasts would be covered in the furlough regs (personal non-commercial activity by SC) but answering emails to hirers of the Blue & Gold almost certainly would do as that would be a normal part of Mark's employed role.  From HMRC website-

You cannot ask your employee to do any work that:
* makes money for your organisation or any organisation linked or associated with your organisation
* provides services for your organisation or any organisation linked or associated with your organisation.

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 10:07:08 PM »
What are everyoneís views on something I saw on Facebook a day or two ago.

So I was going to have a 40th birthday party at King's Lynn Town Football Club but it was obviously cancelled due to government advice. I asked for a refund and was refused,  but offered to rebook in 12 months. I declined as Iím not working at the moment and the money is more important than a party. After Stephen Cleeve the owner acknowledged there was no terms and conditions they still refused a refund. After many emails back and forth and even pointing out that accoarding to the CMA Iím entitled to a full refund, Iím now being ignored, this maybe because theyíre not there but there was no out of office automated email.
Iím not one to name a shame but it is unprofessional and a blatant flouting of consumer rights.
I have attached a link for the advice from the CMA on the gov.uk website for those of you affected in a similar way.
I also now feel like I have no alternative to report them to the CMA

What are your views? 

"Investors may not get back the capital they invested"   :cheers:

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 11:27:14 PM »
The idea that the venue was let without T & Cís doesnít quite ring true. Surely venue hire is accompanied by some form of booking form/contract.

Kevin Holland

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 08:23:05 AM »
The bloke who's facebook post has been copied and posted above is well known locally for being a bloody good bloke.

He's not known for telling porkies
Make every day a Sun day.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 10:39:11 AM »
I'm sure the Chairman will be aware who the person is, and what name he goes by on social media sites.    :clap:
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Mick

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 11:00:15 AM »
Well I'll tell you what the Queen would say. She'd be 'shocked and saddened'. It's not good at all.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 01:01:02 PM »
I'm sure the Chairman will be aware who the person is, and what name he goes by on social media sites.    :clap:

Iím sure he does. You never know, he may even get a mention on the Chairmanís and Mark Hearles podcast !

🤣🤣🤣

Squire of Langham

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 07:04:39 PM »
As Loughborough said there would be terms and conditions.  Money has been paid to book the venue for a particular date, there would also be times to adhere to, when guests can arrive and when they should leave, so yes there are terms and conditions either in written or oral form.  If Mr Cleeve is not refunding this gentleman claiming there are no T&C's then this cannot be so.

Give the man his money back to which he is entitled.

Didn't someone post a while back that they are still waiting for a refund to an online ticket purchase relating to a match that was postponed?

It will certainly make people think long and hard before considering using the B&G as a venue, potentially a costly own goal.