Author Topic: Next season's squad  (Read 14115 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Re: Next season's squad
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2020, 12:45:54 PM »
... Just comes down to clubs voting if they want to play behind closed doors if fans are not viable for rest of the year.

How are clubs possibly going to pay players if some (or all) of the 20/21 season is behind closed doors?  Might be viable at EFL with TV revenue from above and massive adjustments to wage costs but really can't see how it adds up at NL, let alone NLN & NLS level.  Steps 2 and 3 are probably the hardest to accommodate - step 4 is probably OK to allow attendances as they will naturally be less risky but the wide variation in traditional attendance figures at steps 2 & 3 would need very careful management.  Currently step 1 has a TV deal so this would in part allow for some income coming into clubs.  In all of the above the other main question would be around testing of players and that may make any discussion on fan safety irrelevant there isn't a sensible and cost effective way of securing player safety.

In light of all the above uncertainly we carry on signing players and SC said in the recent podcast that both Smith and Carey were signed on two year deals, lets hope we see them play at some point in that time!

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2020, 03:59:17 PM »

How are clubs possibly going to pay players if some (or all) of the 20/21 season is behind closed doors? 

Tony, that's a very good question and obviously one that needs answering. I would think the simple answer is, that the majority can't.

Some Chairman have said they won't be subsidising their clubs during the pandemic with some saying they wouldn't be continuing to personally fund their clubs beyond this season, even prior to the pandemic. Lets not forget that it looked very tight for quite a few clubs even before this seasons loss of revenue due to no gate receipts.

Even if some sort of miracle is performed for this season, as Phil Hodgkinson has said, people need to worry about what happens after that.

Potentially no income from pre season friendlies, no advance season ticket sales, no (or presumably very little) advertising revenue. And that's all following on from a massive financial black hole from this season.

I think you mentioned a few weeks ago that some Clubs may be looking at some form of administration, as a way of carrying on. I believe that would usually incur a two step demotion, but how can that happen? They can't realistically demote 50-60 clubs!   :dontknow:

It's by no means fun, but it is all very interesting.
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 12:34:36 PM »
Think itís only Kelly, Clunan, Jarv, Richards, Marriot and Gash left to sign ( or not).   Be interesting to see who stays and who goes on 20/30% less money.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 02:18:39 PM »
Mallard, think your 20-30% reduction might end up on the low side unless the PFA are somehow proven right in all this, I think the cuts could (and should) be much greater if football does take this opportunity to get its house in order - Dagenham & Redbridge MD on the BBC saying he isn't signing players for next season until he has more confidence on when it will be https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52805481

Of course, we don't know if those who are signed with Lynn are on reduced contracts compared to last year but given that it looks like there will be a shake up of some sort and we still don't know what league we will be in or when the 20/21 season will get underway we do seem to have a lot of players already signed up.  Did you see in the NLP this week about the lad leaving Darlington and looking for a club nearer his Bedfordshire home?  Looked the sort that might fit the current profile although with Jones signed not sure we are looking but if we are promoted I think right back is probably an area that would need strengthening.

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2020, 03:00:19 PM »
Michael Gash has committed himself to the club for the coming season.
Gash, who will be 34 in September, signed in July 2017 and has made 130 appearances for Lynn, scoring 36 goals.

https://www.lynnnews.co.uk/sport/super-play-off-hero-pens-new-deal-with-the-linnets-9111029/ 

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 03:26:41 PM »
Michael Gash has committed himself to the club for the coming season.
Gash, who will be 34 in September, signed in July 2017 and has made 130 appearances for Lynn, scoring 36 goals.

Good news for the Club and for Gash.

Think itís only Kelly, Clunan, Jarv, Richards, Marriot and Gash left to sign ( or not).   Be interesting to see who stays and who goes on 20/30% less money.

You talked that one up Mallard. Norwich Jungle drums been busy this morning?  :dontknow:

Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2020, 04:00:37 PM »
Tony I used the 20/30% figure as that was the figure used by Stephen Cleeve on one of his podcast.  So I assumed (rightly or wrongly ) that would be the criteria Stephen would be working to within his own club. 

B&G the drums are always beating my friend.  Either that or Iím psychic.   I have a feeling that at least one player will be thinking he can get more money elsewhere not less. Letís see if he is right.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2020, 10:47:45 AM »
We have posted our 'retained list' here https://www.kltown.co.uk/single-post/2020/05/29/Linnets-announce-retained-list although it doesn't include Pedro who signed at the same time as Hawkins and Gash who was reported as signed earlier in the week which is a bit strange.

I guess the focus will be on Marriott's omission but I still think we haven't got the balance right when it comes to offering long term deals - I assume Kelly (who really ended up as a squad player last year) and Southwell (who didn't look the part either against us for Boston or in a Lynn shirt) are only on the list because of multi-season deals?  When you look further up the pyramid, the COVID situation has shone a light on div 2 where it seems lots of players are signed year to year, we are two steps below that (OK it could end up being one if the NL ever make a decision) but seem keen to offer multi year contracts.  Think we need to concentrate on the 'here and now' not the potential prospect of a 'big pay day' should a player go on to a higher level.

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2020, 11:45:56 AM »
We have posted our 'retained list' here https://www.kltown.co.uk/single-post/2020/05/29/Linnets-announce-retained-list although it doesn't include Pedro who signed at the same time as Hawkins and Gash who was reported as signed earlier in the week which is a bit strange.

I guess the focus will be on Marriott's omission but I still think we haven't got the balance right when it comes to offering long term deals - I assume Kelly (who really ended up as a squad player last year) and Southwell (who didn't look the part either against us for Boston or in a Lynn shirt) are only on the list because of multi-season deals?  When you look further up the pyramid, the COVID situation has shone a light on div 2 where it seems lots of players are signed year to year, we are two steps below that (OK it could end up being one if the NL ever make a decision) but seem keen to offer multi year contracts.  Think we need to concentrate on the 'here and now' not the potential prospect of a 'big pay day' should a player go on to a higher level.

Ward is the one that has struck me as odd, with Fryatt gone. Fryatt is clearly the better player, makes me wonder if Fryatt wanted to go elsewhere, or if his injury has permanently crocked him. Either would be a shame for such a long-serving player.

The rumour around Marriott before all this started was that he was willing to stay if we went up, but would leave for a NL club if we didnít. Iíd imagine this still stands, and is fair enough really given his record over the last two years.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2020, 01:44:09 PM »
Ward is the one that has struck me as odd, with Fryatt gone. Fryatt is clearly the better player, makes me wonder if Fryatt wanted to go elsewhere, or if his injury has permanently crocked him. Either would be a shame for such a long-serving player...

Game of opinions LL, for me I would have Ward well above Fryatt but appreciate other people look for different qualities.  Personally I think Fryatt was a good defender at step 3 but struggled stepping up to NLN, Ward certainly isn't a nailed on step 2 player but more capable of holding a place in the squad, if we move up to NL then I would worry but same could be said of others in that retained list.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2020, 05:20:13 PM »
Interesting Tony...as you say ... opinions.

I had Fryatt and McAuley as the number one centre half pairing at the club and thought they were outstanding up until the knee injury. I felt Fryatt was greatly missed although the ability of a certain full back to fill in all over the back line at a really good standard, reduced the "miss" as the season went on. Can see that Ward is particularly important when the opposition has real height up front.
Fryatt was also a real threat in the opposition box.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2020, 12:13:44 PM »
Likewise I would go for Fryatt over Ward everyday of the week.  Thought big Tom looked way off it when he was included at the end of the season.  Then again we donít know the extent of Ryanís injury. If it has cost him a yard then yes it would make sense.  A yard he could Ill afford to lose.

I see there is an experienced centre back just released by Lincoln. Ex Norwich Jason Shackell. Food for thought if nothing else.

As for Adam Marriott, who can blame him for keeping his options open after notching 30 goals.  If he stays with us letís hope it was the Adam Marriott we saw and loved prior to the Walsall deal falling through and not the Adam Marriott who Boston let go and the player who looked low on confidences from Feb onwards.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2020, 05:14:29 PM »
Vardy was 29 when he broke into Premier League.

Adam Marriott is The Fox in the Box that we needed and still need.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2020, 05:52:40 PM »
Lots of playerís names mentioned on this thread appear to ones that some have doubts about, or donít mention at all.  Without involving myself in the various opinions, Iíll just say that IMO any resultant squad that does not include the names of Ward, Kelly, Power and Marriott will be a lower standard squad.  Just to expand a little, I believe Smith  and McCauley are easily our best CB pairing, with Ward as back-up rather than Fryatt.  I am still surprised and disappointed that we have seen the last of Nathan Fox.  Very good news that Barrows is staying and both Pedros !  Problem is, I donít think it would be safe to start football again at any level until we are no longer a country with one of the worldís largest death statistics.  Stay safe.  BTW, very pleased to see that our Chairman appears to have retained his interest and support - probably our best signing overall....

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2020, 10:56:26 AM »
https://www.lynnnews.co.uk/sport/its-a-waiting-game-for-the-linnets-and-the-striker-with-the-midas-touch-9111624/

------------------------------------------------------------------------
From last week:

King's Lynn Town Football Club have confirmed that Adam Marriott and Ryan Jarvis remain in talks with the club after releasing their retained list of players for 2020/21.

Marriott plundered 30 goals for the Linnets last season as the club finished the season second in the National League North standings.

A statement on the football club website said: "We are able to provide an updated squad retained list after some names were inadvertently missed from the original post last night. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

"The list is as follows: Alex Street, Alex Brown, Ross Barrows, Michael Clunan, Michael Gash, Chris Henderson, Sam Kelly, Rory McAuley, Tom Ward, Dayle Southwell, Luke Johnson, Sonny Carey, Ryan Hawkins, Aaron Jones, Jordan Richards and Chris Smith.