Author Topic: Next season's squad  (Read 14163 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Re: Next season's squad
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2020, 01:15:25 PM »
Word coming out of Carrow Road, Simon Power likely to return to The Walks on loan

Appreciate I am in the minority (possibly a very small minority) but I would rather not see Power back at the Walks.  Nothing against the lad personally nor do I doubt his ability, I just don't think he was a good fit for us in football terms.  IC has consistently put out good footballing sides and very rarely has he played with an out-and-out winger and I think we will have even less scope for a 'luxury' player next season - yes his pace may well cause problems but at what cost to the shape and structure of the team?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2020, 01:29:35 PM »
You would hope Tony that Power is very much work in progress at Norwich and as he will continue to train at Norwich (!and under IC) that his game will develop.  The one thing you can’t coach and the lad has in spades is raw pace.   

It will be interesting to see how IC will use him next season.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2020, 02:53:49 PM »
Well I am with you on that one Tony.
It's really important to maintain the balance in the side and not affect the status quo too much with additions.
I thought that adding Loza to the squad would mean we had enough numbers and pace up front.
There's already loads of competition for places up front.. if it does happen, will be interesting to see how IC makes it work.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2020, 04:43:37 PM »
Fleming could be a useful addition....a terrier in defence or midfield.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2020, 05:28:03 PM »
Fleming could be a useful addition....a terrier in defence or midfield.

Yes, and still young enough to 'bring on'.  Pleased the signing announcement was for a position that we need to fill, would still like to see an experienced centre half joining, particularly if we go with the young lad in goal, but will IC now think he has enough cover with Burrows and Fleming?  Squad must be nearly near there now, 18 on the list (without Luke Johnson who was named as a 'retained' player) and can't imagine we will end up with many more, still look a little light in midfield for me

GK - Mair, Street
Full backs - Jones, Burrows, Brown
Centre halves - Smith, McAuley, Fleming (personally think Burrows is a better CH than full back)
Central Midfield - Clunan, Richards
Attacking Midfield - Henderson, Carey, Kelly, Hawkins
Forwards - Marriott, Gash, Loza, Southwell

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2020, 08:53:23 PM »
Yes, Tall, Strong, Quick, Experienced Centre Half required.
Wonder if Fleming could play in front of the back line if Jarvis isn't part of squad. (?)

Dilligaf

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2020, 10:38:52 AM »
Think there is more to the Fryatt situation than we know.
Clearly a number one pick at the season start....IMO either the injury was deemed particularly serious, or there was an issue we are unaware of. Can't personally see him coming back into the fold in those circumstances.
Ward's height would have been useful, but Lynn now have the opportunity to get a quality tall defender on, with good credentials.....think someone with good experience is a must.

Looks like it's the latter KES...namely more than we are aware of. Pretty poor on the clubs behalf to not even invite a player to the celebrations, that was part of the squad for this season especially after so many years of loyalty.

wack

• Steve Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2020, 12:34:12 PM »
You may be right,but do you know they didn't?,maybe he couldn't attend.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2020, 02:54:39 PM »
Certainly hope the “Power” possibility is true.  He is the right standard for the coming season.  Defences would find him to be a big problem.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2020, 05:10:34 PM »
Certainly hope the “Power” possibility is true.  He is the right standard for the coming season.  Defences would find him to be a big problem.

Think Hendo would be the man to "provide" Simon Power with the pass to break thro defences.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2020, 12:48:39 PM »
No need for Power now we have Loza

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2020, 05:06:42 PM »

From what I’ve seen, Power is quicker than Loza (who is still pretty quick), but Loza is a bit more skilful than Power.

Don’t think we need Power, but if he’s offered on a loan, we’d be remiss if we didn’t take him.

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2020, 10:33:36 AM »
Loza and Power pace on the flanks, playing off someone like Gash (or alongside a more attacking Marriott) is a good option next season if Culverhouse wants to go 4-3-3 next season in any games. Hawkins would be the option on the right at the moment, and he's more a last roll of the dice sub rather then wanting to start him at this level.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2020, 12:36:04 PM »

From what I’ve seen, Power is quicker than Loza (who is still pretty quick), but Loza is a bit more skilful than Power.

Don’t think we need Power, but if he’s offered on a loan, we’d be remiss if we didn’t take him.

If we don't need him why take him....just wasting money and risking upsetting the applecart...people like Southwell are on longish contracts and need to be used

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2020, 01:33:26 PM »
If we don't need him (Power) why take him....just wasting money and risking upsetting the applecart...

Would agree with that and so, it appears, does IC - "Culverhouse is still looking for two more outfield players to complete his squad: a central defender and a midfielder." taken from the EDP https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/kings-lynn-town/culverhouse-on-linnets-task-1-6764206

Still no news on Jarvis but he was in the pictures of the squad training session from the weekend.

...people like Southwell are on longish contracts and need to be used

Not sure I would agree with this bit, just because we have someone on a long term deal doesn't mean we HAVE to play them, players need to earn their place and if he isn't good enough (and I am not convinced either way with Southwell) then that should be sole deciding factor.  I was totally against longer contracts at step 2 and below as it compounds recruitment mistakes, appreciate we have got a lot right over the last three years but there will always be a player that doesn't perform to expectations for whatever reason and long term deals can tie up money that should be going to 'new blood'.