Author Topic: Next season's squad  (Read 3621 times)

wack and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

TonyM

• View Profile
Next season's squad
« on: May 14, 2020, 01:47:58 PM »
Given that so much is uncertain about next season - what league we will be in, when the season might start etc some strange news out of the Walks today with Chris Smith and Sonny Carey signing for next season - https://www.kltown.co.uk/single-post/2020/05/14/Smith-and-Carey-agree-new-deals-with-Linnets

Not knocking either of the lads personally as I think both had good seasons and given their ages / potential both would be classed as good signings in normal circumstances, but when Gloucester's chairman came out yesterday saying he has negotiated pay cuts for some of his players and won't sign anyone on more than they are on this season it does concern me that we are maybe jumping the gun.  SC said in his podcast there were a number of players on multi year contracts but then the article only references Rory, Hendo and Barrows as players who signed new contracts for next season.

I guess things will become clearer in the coming weeks and maybe a delayed start to the 20-21 season could help the club financially until such time as non-league is allowed crowds as SC has previously stated that all but one of the players have agreed to not be paid until the season starts rather than 1st August.

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Next season's squad
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 02:38:39 PM »
I assume we also have Alex Brown and Dayle Southwell
Chris Henderson was reported to have signed on a two year deal in Sept 2018, Aaron Jones August 2018, Adam Marriott October 2018 and Luke Johnson in November 2019

Lindsays Boot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 08:36:37 PM »
Ryan Fryatt and Nathan Fox have left the club

YouSayItBest

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 09:20:26 PM »
Can’t believe Ryan’s announcement was as short as that. He’s been outstanding for the club for a number of years. And up until his injury was a first name on the teamsheet

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 10:19:52 PM »
Hmmm yes v surprised to see Ryan released...thought he was missed when unavailable.....was perhaps his injury one that would make it challenging to get back to the level he was at ? If not then I don't quite understand it, as he is only 26 and his partnership with Rory, was in my opinion the most solid Lynn had.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 08:53:14 AM »
Really sad to see Ryan being released.  I would suggest he didn’t gobble up to much of the budget either.    Though with Chris Smith signing a new deal it perhaps indicates that Rory and Chris will be Maybe the first choice pairing.   Factor in we also have Tom Ward and Ross Barrows who can Play there it might be considered overload in that area.   Maybe it’s feeeing budget up to spend elsewhere.

Always sad to see a local boy go, especially when he has come up through the ranks. Wish Ryan all the best and hopes he gets fixed up at a decent level whenever Football at Non League level re-starts.

Not surprised to see Nathan Fox go.  Seemed well out of favour on the lead up to lockdown and with the club paying money to bring in a left sided defender I guess it was obvious he would be released.

Seems like at The Football Club life is carrying on as normal.  Yet when you see a higher level club like Solihull showing 15 players the door, ( including Ex Dereham striker Danny Wright), it does make me consider who has got this right and who hasn’t.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 09:25:18 AM »
I'm also sad to see Ryan go.

While mentioning a Fryatt, does anyone know what the plan is for Neil and his Reserves for next season (if/when it starts).

Are we still planning to run with a Reserves team, or will it fall victim of the current Pandemic and the financial implications it brings with it?   :dontknow:
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 01:51:06 PM »
Jones is now the latest confirmed returnee.  Nothing against any of the lads who have been signed but given that it looks like there may be a fair bit of upheaval further up the pyramid and we don't know when next season will start, or what league we will be in, I do think it might have been better to adopt a 'wait and see' policy for at least the next few weeks. 

Also saw Alfie Payne was released by Norwich, personally I would have him back in a snap - the better of the two loanees from up the A47 imo and seemed a really good fit for how IC likes to play.  I guess he will keep his options open in case he can to find a full-time option elsewhere but lack of game time last year probably wouldn't have helped his cause.

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 04:00:42 PM »
Pedro and Hawkins added to the retained list.

Glad to see Pedro kept on. Hawkins, think if we’re still in NLN, then he’s got a role to play, but think if we’re in the NL, he might struggle to make an an impact even as a squad player.

That’s if there’s any playing to be done next season at all. It’s good that our chairman is signing up our players for next year, though is out of step with some other clubs who aren’t renewing anyone’s deal until they can see what’s occurring.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 06:28:52 PM »
Any news on Power ?  Sensational in a couple of games, and can’t see teams keeping him quiet for long - even at NL level...

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 07:13:36 PM »
Listening ( nearly 2 hours long) to some of Stephen Cleeve’s latest podcast he is suggesting that player contracts will be discounted by between 20-30% next season.  He also was suggesting that there might only be 10 home games in the season ( the reason why he won’t take fans money for season tickets) in a very Limited season.   Reading various articles it seems there won’t much be much, if any lower level Football In this Country before Christmas.

I seem to recall the Chairman saying the Lynn players are not expecting wages until the season gets under way.   So is that much of a big deal to start putting the squad together ?

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 07:44:59 PM »
Listening ( nearly 2 hours long) to some of Stephen Cleeve’s latest podcast he is suggesting that player contracts will be discounted by between 20-30% next season.  He also was suggesting that there might only be 10 home games in the season ( the reason why he won’t take fans money for season tickets) in a very Limited season.   Reading various articles it seems there won’t much be much, if any lower level Football In this Country before Christmas.

I seem to recall the Chairman saying the Lynn players are not expecting wages until the season gets under way.   So is that much of a big deal to start putting the squad together ?

...........................................when Gloucester's chairman came out yesterday saying he has negotiated pay cuts for some of his players and won't sign anyone on more than they are on this season it does concern me that we are maybe jumping the gun. 

Lower league efl clubs being asked to run on 20 player squad. Looks as if there wil be lots of players looking for new clubs and probably a race to the bottom for them.

Clubs could well be in the driving seat for once. They could now be in a position to pick and choose who they want and what they are willing to pay.  :dontknow:
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 07:57:22 PM »
With a reported 1400 players out of contract in the Pro game at the end of June the Non League market could be ‘flooded’ with players.  Can see it being a case of tight, quality sides at budget prices.  Hopefully part of the savings will be passed on to Joe Public to encourage people back through the gate,  at the appropriate time.

One other item Mr Cleeve mentioned was theft from the club by person/S who enjoyed full access and who are no longer involved.

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 08:30:54 PM »
With a reported 1400 players out of contract in the Pro game at the end of June the Non League market could be ‘flooded’ with players.  Can see it being a case of tight, quality sides at budget prices.  Hopefully part of the savings will be passed on to Joe Public to encourage people back through the gate,  at the appropriate time.

One other item Mr Cleeve mentioned was theft from the club by person/S who enjoyed full access and who are no longer involved.

If, as suggested, L1 and L2 will be limited to 20 professionals per club, that means they’ll only be 960 professional players in those leagues. 1400 out of contract this summer, and if only 500 players were on multi-year deals, that would mean half of last years L1&L2 players being available for non-league clubs. (Also says something about how big professionals squads had become.)

The above being said, it might be premature of Culverhouse signing too many up for next year, as potentially better players who this season were playing 3 tiers higher might be available.

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 02:11:42 PM »
Nothing against any of the lads who have been signed but given that it looks like there may be a fair bit of upheaval further up the pyramid and we don't know when next season will start, or what league we will be in.

I think giving the stance what EFL are going with (PPG and Promotion/Relegation), I'm 99% confident that King's Lynn will be promoted as Champions on PPG. Whether there's a non league season or not is a different question, but giving the culture secretary wants the amateur game going, the non league will be good to go too. Just comes down to clubs voting if they want to play behind closed doors if fans are not viable for rest of the year.