Author Topic: War Chest appeal.  (Read 4531 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

wack

• Steve Jackson
    • View Profile
Re: War Chest appeal.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 01:02:38 PM »
Thanks b&g I just can't seem to link these things to the forum using chromebook.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 01:19:37 PM »
Thanks b&g I just can't seem to link these things to the forum using chromebook.

:clap:
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 01:51:53 PM »
Personally I think this is a strange move at a strange time, there is so much uncertainty that making plans about budgets seems very premature, in addition looking at the club's retained list (some of whom are on two year deals) I really don't understand what we are planning for.

I see the press release refers to Darlington (a fan owned club?) who have raised a fantastic amount of money over the years including during the COVID lockdown.  Again we seem to be wanting to run before we can walk - seeing something that has worked elsewhere without really understanding it - this sort of fundraising doesn't come overnight, relationships need to be built and trust developed and for me this should all come under the FotL to be the 'face' of fans fundraising for things like the playing squad budget.

Sorry, this post isn't meant to be negative and I genuinely believe that the only way forward for non-league clubs is for fans to be far, far more involved and that includes those that can, sticking their hands in their pockets a bit more but it can't just be a case of writing a press release saying we have set a target of £50K and waiting for the money to come rolling in

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 02:01:28 PM »
Personally I think this is a strange move at a strange time, there is so much uncertainty that making plans about budgets seems very premature, in addition looking at the club's retained list (some of whom are on two year deals) I really don't understand what we are planning for.

I see the press release refers to Darlington (a fan owned club?) who have raised a fantastic amount of money over the years including during the COVID lockdown.  Again we seem to be wanting to run before we can walk - seeing something that has worked elsewhere without really understanding it - this sort of fundraising doesn't come overnight, relationships need to be built and trust developed and for me this should all come under the FotL to be the 'face' of fans fundraising for things like the playing squad budget.

Sorry, this post isn't meant to be negative and I genuinely believe that the only way forward for non-league clubs is for fans to be far, far more involved and that includes those that can, sticking their hands in their pockets a bit more but it can't just be a case of writing a press release saying we have set a target of £50K and waiting for the money to come rolling in

Very good post again Tony.

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 07:56:42 PM »
Well if we want the club to move forward and keep better players coming in to strengthen the squad then to me it sounds a sound move ,and I will be surporting it with a donation

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 08:42:30 PM »
If the Chairman needs to raise some cash then why not offer an Individual (s) or the Trust equity in the Club in exchange for the 50k.   Or is he know expecting the fans of the club to further sponsor his hobby of running a Football Club.

Darlington a fan owned club were set a target of raising a 100k (A third of next seasons budget) in the month of May.  They did it with a week to spare. With 500 fans contributing.

Not sure what Darloís average gate is but I wouldnít think itís much different to Lynnís.    Will be interesting to see if Mr Cleeve has the same level of support as an individual owner compared to a fan owned Club.

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 08:53:41 PM »
I guess you wonít be supporting the idea of the War chest with a donation then Mallard ,well that doesnít surprise

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 09:04:57 PM »
Using the term War chest has just reminded me of something from a few years ago.

Does anyone know what happened to the war chest that certain people use to claim Buster was supposed to be building when he was at the Club?

If it ever existed as some claimed, did he leave it behind when he sold the Club?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 09:05:24 PM »
No MA I wonít be indulging Mr Cleeve in his hobby.  He has decided he wants to run the Club on a sole basis.   So Iím quite happy to let him .  His choice, but it seems he wants it both ways.  He could very quickly raise 50k or even 100k.   Individuals or even that Nasty Trust could buy into the club.   Rather than yet another begging bowl being put out.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 09:10:46 PM »
I sort of agree with that Mallard.

If someone states "I work best alone", why not let him?

Apart from that, I can think of much better causes to give my money to at the moment, than someone's wholly owned Limited Company.

Each to his own though!

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 10:58:46 PM »
If Mr Cleeve wants to copy supporter owned clubs, why not copy one, which last season set a weekly team budget of under £3k. Recruited a squad of hungry young players, who reached 2nd place in their league and turned the clubs finances round. Resulting in a monthly surplus being made, until covid reared its head.  Who's supporters were happy to have a team to watch, with anything else a bonus. Can't see this happening at Lynn can you?

Mentioning Darlington, Gateshead etc is just an attempt to make the appeal for cash, more acceptable to more people.  The figures speak for themselves. Supporters who own, or have a say in the running of their club, are more generous when funds are needed. Take FCUM.  £15k Crowdfunder for pitch improvements, target reached in 2 days, with £32k raised in a month when it ended.

I think the target has been set to high, given that the other appeals since lockdown started, appear to have only reached £5k. There's no harm in asking, but most Linnets have short arms & long pockets.  :countingmoney:

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 08:30:52 AM »
Well if we want the club to move forward and keep better players coming in to strengthen the squad then to me it sounds a sound move ,and I will be surporting it with a donation

MAH, any thoughts on why this isn't a FotL initiative?

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 08:33:10 AM »
Not those who want the team to succeed they have long arms and short pockets

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 08:36:26 AM »
Only thoughts I have on why I canít say. Maybe it should have been.