Author Topic: War Chest appeal.  (Read 4859 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
Re: War Chest appeal.
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2020, 09:16:55 AM »
MAH, any thoughts on why this isn't a FotL initiative?

Only thoughts I have on why I canít say. Maybe it should have been.

:dontknow:
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2020, 09:23:33 AM »
MAH, any thoughts on why this isn't a FotL initiative?

Tony.

Maybe, for their own reasons, the FOTL choose not to be involved in this.

Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Dilligaf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2020, 11:22:45 AM »
Not those who want the team to succeed they have long arms and short pockets

Everybody who pays for a ticket to go watch wants the team to succeed....everybody who walks through the gate after parting with their hard earned money wants the team to succeed. Just because some dont agree with chucking more into the "begging bowl" doesn't make them any less a supporter

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2020, 11:38:20 AM »
Not those who want the team to succeed they have long arms and short pockets

Maybe some peoples arms are only long enough to find what they have in their pockets,for some people just getting in and a cup of tea is all they can manage! Everyone is an individual with individual needs and resources,if you have the spare cash to put into the various fundraisers run by the club then fair play,but please don't belittle those less fortunate! :argue:
ďNo one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?Ē

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2020, 01:29:56 PM »

Sorry, didn't mean to put you on the spot and appreciate the FotL committee will make decisions which all individuals on the committee need to stand behind otherwise it would be chaos.  As for the length of people's arms / pockets I think that goes back to my original comment that this sort of fundraising isn't something that can be switched on like a tap, generally there needs to be an awful lot of work put in for, in all likelihood, relatively little reward before you get to a 'Darlington' situation where I guess they have a number of fans who 'expect' to dip their hands in their pockets every year.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2020, 01:33:52 PM »
Using the term War chest has just reminded me of something from a few years ago.

Does anyone know what happened to the war chest that certain people use to claim Buster was supposed to be building when he was at the Club?

If it ever existed as some claimed, did he leave it behind when he sold the Club?

Maybe that's why we keep digging the pitch up every off season - SC found a map with an X on it but hasn't located Captain Buster's "lost treasure" yet (now where is that pirate emoji?)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 01:38:16 PM »

Maybe that's why we keep digging the pitch up every off season

And that of course, is a another completely different story!
 :scarf:

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2020, 04:07:32 PM »
I maybe wrong but I think this is the first time that all of the pitch has been dug up , itís been tinkered with with extra drainage put in ,but never completely dug up

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2020, 05:25:00 PM »
I maybe wrong but I think this is the first time that all of the pitch has been dug up , itís been tinkered with with extra drainage put in ,but never completely dug up

I'm sure you correct on that one, but its not what we have previously been informed.

Personally, I would not be surprised if more money has been spent on the pitch in the short time the current Chairman has been here, than in the previous 15 years (plus). That's despite what has previously been said prior to his arrival.

That's unless it was actually done previously as claimed, maybe using the previously mentioned War Chest to fund it!

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2020, 07:15:36 PM »
I maybe wrong but I think this is the first time that all of the pitch has been dug up, itís been tinkered with with extra drainage put in ,but never completely dug up
I thought the pitch was dug up during the summer of 1989 which resulted in Lynn playing their first four league games away.
The friendly against Nottingham Forest that season was said to mark the achievement of the ground improvements.
I could be wrong, but if it was tinkering it was pretty serious stuff.

At some time in the past, and I have yet to find out when, the pitch was levelled. Some of the early match reports describe Lynn as playing down the slope. I assume towards the Seven Sisters end.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
ďNo one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?Ē

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2020, 05:25:16 PM »
Just had a listen to some of Mr Cleeves latest podcasts.

In a previous podcast he stated the players wages would be around 20-30% less next season.  Now he is saying the fans need to raise 50k to keep Adam Marriott at the club.

Anyone care to try and shed any light on that ?

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2020, 07:03:19 PM »
That's one hell of a signing on fee.

Loopy,linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2020, 10:04:32 AM »
People will support the war chest ,only members of trust wonít who would happily see Cleese fail ,I honestly hope trust never get their greedy grubby hands on the club ,Cleese reaches out for support ,trust want shares greed

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2020, 10:23:50 AM »
Just had a listen to some of Mr Cleeves latest podcasts.

In a previous podcast he stated the players wages would be around 20-30% less next season.  Now he is saying the fans need to raise 50k to keep Adam Marriott at the club.

Anyone care to try and shed any light on that ?

Giving his exploits last season, I would say he could easily get £800 - £1k pw next season at a Step 1 club, which would be around the £50k+ mark.

Question in response would be, is it worth matching close to that to keep him? Or spend it on likely two players?