Author Topic: War Chest appeal.  (Read 4814 times)

KES80

• View Profile
Re: War Chest appeal.
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2020, 12:44:01 PM »
In all likelihood, there may well be a very useful forward who suddenly becomes surplus to requirements much higher up the pyramid, who offers better value

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2020, 01:14:21 PM »
Just had a listen to some of Mr Cleeves latest podcasts.

In a previous podcast he stated the players wages would be around 20-30% less next season.  Now he is saying the fans need to raise 50k to keep Adam Marriott at the club.

Anyone care to try and shed any light on that ?

Giving his exploits last season, I would say he could easily get £800 - £1k pw next season at a Step 1 club, which would be around the £50k+ mark.

Question in response would be, is it worth matching close to that to keep him? Or spend it on likely two players?

Even in the "new normal"?

Maybe, but personally wouldn't be quite so sure on that one. I doubt it will be as easy to command that sort of wages as it has been previously.
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

FenRam

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2020, 01:50:07 PM »
I think Marriot works for the family business (Star Transport) in Brandon so I would be surprised if he would want to go to far for his football

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2020, 05:28:19 PM »
Think Star are based in Thetford, Ram.  If Marriot things he is worth more than we can afford then good luck to him.  Thank him for last season and wish him well.  Surely then Mr Cleeve isnt prepared to be Held to ransom by one player, and then pass it on to the fans.

Itís the business model that needs to play catch up at the club.   Darlington is a fan owned club and those fans have raised around 1.5m in the last 8 years to support the club THEY OWN.   Lynn is not based or run on the same MO as that.   If SC needs to raise cash quickly to tempt Marriott to stay then sell a bit of the club.  Not difficult is it.

With the latest Ďideaí if the 50k target isnít met and Marriott plies  his trade elsewhere, is it then going to be the fans fault ?

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2020, 05:47:32 PM »
I think Marriot works for the family business (Star Transport) in Brandon so I would be surprised if he would want to go to far for his football

If Marriots ambition is to play league football, I can't see him being too bothered about staying close to Brandon/Thetford.
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2020, 08:59:05 PM »
People will support the war chest ,only members of trust wonít who would happily see Cleese fail ,I honestly hope trust never get their greedy grubby hands on the club ,Cleese reaches out for support ,trust want shares greed

Do you mean John Cleese AKA Basil Fawlty?   :laughcry:

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2020, 09:31:02 PM »
What ever he gets he is worth every penny

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2020, 04:35:37 PM »
We have not taken any notice of what's going on around us. Clubs are or will be going under, Many have over spent, has not time come when sensible wages need to be paid, and not success at all costs?

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2020, 04:53:09 PM »
We have not taken any notice of what's going on around us. Clubs are or will be going under, Many have over spent, has not time come when sensible wages need to be paid, and not success at all costs?

Very much so.

:scarf:

somerset linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2020, 05:50:42 PM »
Can anyone shed any light on the pitch grant the linnets have received. As stated by the club on Facebook this evening. :scarf: :scarf:

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Dilligaf

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2020, 09:19:32 PM »
Can anyone shed any light on the pitch grant the linnets have received. As stated by the club on Facebook this evening. :scarf: :scarf:

According to chairmans podcast £1500

somerset linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2020, 03:37:10 PM »
Thanks Admin and Dilligaf.  :clap:

maidstone baz

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2020, 04:24:30 AM »
At the end of the day we all have a choice, if you want to donate to the appeal you can if you dont want to you dont. i did simply because i had put money aside for the home games which didnt take place so i donated some of that money to the war chest.
As for maz staying or going, in the current climate money will be tight for most second division clubs and for national league clubs and in my time with maidstone some 30 years i found that the difference in wages at the full-time clubs was very much the same which was the main reason that alot of players stay part-time with a working wage and their football money topping up that wage, so maz may find staying part-time is a better option.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile