Author Topic: "King's Lynn Town FC Legends Hall of Fame"  (Read 13720 times)

Backie9

• View Profile
"King's Lynn Town FC Legends Hall of Fame"
« on: March 17, 2016, 12:23:07 PM »
Link for final voting can be found here

http://www.kltown.co.uk/2016/03/17/kings-lynn-town-fc-legends-hall-of-fame/

Cheers
Backie x

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: "King's Lynn Town FC Legends Hall of Fame"
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 01:56:27 PM »
Robbie, Any Chance of seeing some stats on the runners and riders ?   As In appearances, goals etc etc ?

Some might not even know some of the names on there.  That way hopefully people can make an informed choice rather than  just vote for current players.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 07:01:55 PM »
I think it more likely and wholly understandable that most votes will be cast for those that voters have seen play, now that Mick Wright has quite rightly received an automatic nomination.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 07:55:07 PM »
The list of nominees certainly seems to suggest a vast age demographic amongst those voting. A great spectrum of players all of which do have their own merits for the club.

Mick Wright's achievements I doubt will ever be surpassed in the modern game.

Has there been a decision on how the nominated 'Legends' will be represented, such as plaques or pictures?

Frontman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 08:05:49 PM »
Ray Dixon is still the highest goal scorer in Club!!  He should be in there!!

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 08:04:35 AM »
Malcolm Lindsay is the club's all time record goal scorer.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 08:04:56 AM »
That is my point Frontman.  Some people may know nothing of Ray Dixon or indeed others.  I think a case should be made for each candidate, with stats made available. 

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 08:38:56 AM »
In fairness, and without being disrespectful to any of the candidates,  Mick Wright is a massive act to follow, both on and off the pitch.  Cannot see anyone on the list who would get anywhere near the great man.

I just hope whoever is inducted it is based on what they contributed as a player to the Club over a sustained period of time. There are one or 2 names on the list that I just do not understand.   For example Lee Stevenson.  Can ask why ?   Maybe if he is still with the Club in X Number of years time, but Hall Of Fame.  I think it makes a mockery of the idea.

Wingwizzard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 09:47:57 AM »
I think it more likely and wholly understandable that most votes will be cast for those that voters have seen play, now that Mick Wright has quite rightly received an automatic nomination.
Having been a lynn fan for the last 6 years  I can only comment on what I have I seen  - yes great players in the list but some I have heard of but never seen play so it would be unfair on me and them to vote for them . personally  all these people on the list  should be inducted this season the  reason  being that as only 2 persons per season get voted in it will take 8 seasons to get them all in and who ever doesn't get voted in this time  I am sure will be on the list next time  and the current fans who do the voting wont be bothered  as it will be players from long ago who like me may not have seen them play . MIck wrights achievements will never be beaten as players these days seem to  chase the coin IMO   and  a loyal player is hard to find also with more teams playing the same standard of football it is easier to move to another club. SO IN MY OPINION PUT ALL OF THE PEOPLE ON THE LIST IN THE HALL OF FAME  AND AT LEAST WE WILL HAVE A STARTING POINT FOR THE FUTURE BETTER WITH A LIST OF 18 RATHER THAN 3

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 10:06:09 AM »
For me and I suspect for most of us 'older fans' who had the privilege of watching him play over many years, Mick Wright is in a category of one?

I just don't see how anyone could logically vote for someone they have never seen play - I couldn't?

I agree with the comment re Lee Stevenson's inclusion.....Lynn legend? One day, hopefully but surely not yet?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 10:20:43 AM »
WingWizard, Lets hope you are totally wrong.  If, as you suggest, modern players show no loyalty to a club and are off chasing the coin, then Setch' new policy of going with local players will fall on its ass.  After all the idea is built fro the future.  If as soon as we get a few decent local players they decide to up sticks and sign for whoever is paying the most ( which wont be Lynn) then what is the point in the Club Investing in Youth.  We might as well go back to what we had last season getting players in from here there and everywhere who don't give a rat's ass about the Club ( as they proved toward the end of last season)

I think The idea of The Hall of Fame should have some kind of special meaning and Not be for some player who is only a the Club for a short while and then goes off to pasture's new for a few extra quid.  There are a good few Players on the list who have shown loyalty to the cause, through good and bad times.  There are also players on there who have had clubs left right and centre.

No disrespect to Lee Stevenson but how can he be inducted into A Hall Of Fame with someone like Mick Wright ?   Lee, the fine player that he is, has had 2 short spells at the club so far.  If he gets put in now, then  where is the thing going ? 

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 10:23:35 AM »
and no Chris Watts . . .  amazing !

I think the idea was good but the club should have some kind criteria for qualification - like more than 400 appearances.
“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”

Wingwizzard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »
Hi Mallard yes I agree with your point of  youth for the club   it's great to see them coming through  - in relation to Mick Wright I can only go on what other people tell me about him and yes he should be straight in there at No1 - the problem is that with the Bar set to such a high standard  anyone else  is automatically compared to this and they don't come close so then it's down to personal opinion  and with many names on the list of past players  who I have never seen play a I can only comment and vote if I want to  on what I have seen on and off the pitch. it's all about opinions  and that's mine. At the end of the day I will  support the 11 players that take to the pitch  for Lynn and perform  for Setch

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 11:28:47 AM »
and no Chris Watts . . .  amazing !

I think the idea was good but the club should have some kind criteria for qualification - like more than 400 appearances.

http://www.thelinnets.co.uk/archive/chriswatts.php

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 01:05:17 PM »
I think I brought up at the time that those players that held records with the club should receive automatic entry as a starting point. Mick Wright's inclusion was absolutely correct, and perhaps those with goal scoring records should be included too.

Much else comes down to the length of supporters' memories, age demographic and even personal definitions of the word 'legend'. I think every name on that list is worthy of nomination; but perhaps some will have the opportunity to grow their status further.