Author Topic: "King's Lynn Town FC Legends Hall of Fame"  (Read 13712 times)

Wingwizzard

• View Profile
Re: "King's Lynn Town FC Legends Hall of Fame"
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 01:50:36 PM »
absolutely spot on Robbo 84 -  a legends list of only what will be 3 doesn't look that appealing so add the others as well

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 04:03:41 PM »
Very good point Rob, Malc Lindsey should be above and beyond any voting system ,the clubs top scorer by a mile! admin who is next after Malc and how many? i sure Malc Lindsey was 320 plus.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 04:27:11 PM »
From the 'Notable Achievements' page:

Most appearances:   Mick Wright   1,152 (British Record)
Most goals:         
in career   Malcolm Lindsay   321
in a season   George Martin   69 from 38 appearances (1909-10)
in a match   Harry Kirk   8 (15 April 1925 v City Wanderers)

In the KLTFC era Jack Defty scored 53 goals in 61 games in the 2010/11 season.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 04:31:47 PM »
absolutely spot on Robbo 84 -  a legends list of only what will be 3 doesn't look that appealing so add the others as well

Personally I can't see where the problem is with there only being 3 to start with initially, and to let it grow as the seasons go by. The Club have said two per season and I think that's fine.
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Backie9

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 05:30:50 PM »
Can't tell you how pleased I am to see a bit of a debate on the hall of fame, this is one of the reasons we decided to do it, to get the supporters talking of players from the past and present. A couple of the supporters are also asking why a couple of certain players are not in the poll, I set a couple of months for the supporters to put forward their nominations so if you wanted to put a player forward you should have when the intial votes was taken place, this does not mean that more players can be added next season when we will have another three introduced.
Thanks to everyone who has voted already we have had loads of interest from near and far and just goes to show what fan base we have.
Also I have been in touch with the Blue and Gold Trust about getting some statistics for all the players, so please keep a look out in the next couple of weeks, I was originally going to do this for all the players but been poorly the last three weeks
Cheers
Backie X

Backie9

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2016, 05:38:06 PM »
Also Re Chris Watts
I have had a couple of emails asking for a late inclusion of Chris Watts and looking at his achievements for Kings Lynn I have added him into the poll
Backie

Backie9

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 12:29:06 PM »
Here are some of the stats for some of the players what are in the hall of fame, I will try and find the others if possible.
Big thanks to Richard from the Blue and Gold Trust for this information #workingtogether

Joe Dines -  Born in Lynn making 149 appearances between 1904 and
1914 scoring 28 goals
Played for Lynn in the Aston Villa FA Cup match in 1906 and won Olympic Gold in 1912.

Mick Wright - 1152 appearances 116 goals between 1961 and 1981.
Played for Lynn in the FA Cup match against Everton

Cliff Whitelum - 218 appearance 237 goals - debut 1948

Dick Everitt - 1949-1953 - 185 appearances - 154 goals

Martin Coupe - 1983-85 -  109 appearances - 61 goals.

Jack Defty - 2002-2009 & 2010-2011  405 appearances 161 goals.

Lee Stevenson  - 90 appearances 26 goals

Alex Street - 254 appearances - 74 clean sheets

Andy Claxton - 318 appearances 102 clean sheets

Stephen Lewis - 200 appearances (no clean sheet stats)

Shane Tolley - 33 appearance 11 goals

Chris Watts - 471 appearances 45 goals

Backie

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 01:41:34 PM »
Mick Wright also scored in that famous FA Cup win at Coventry in 1961.

Just wondering are there any stats available from Gary Setchell's first spell as a player?

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 01:43:12 PM »
Shane Tolley, maybe not a legend, but who can forget his goal?   :scarf:

Wingwizzard

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 02:14:51 PM »
Like you Jesus -  the best night ive had as a lynn supporter in front of nearly 2000 fans what an atmosphere

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 02:34:35 PM »
Mick Wright also scored in that famous FA Cup win at Coventry in 1961.

Just wondering are there any stats available from Gary Setchell's first spell as a player?
From Pen Pictures:
Setchell started with Lynn's Youth team in 1991 and went on to play for Wisbech Town and Fakenham, where he was the league's leading goalscorer in the 1998-99 season with 36 goals. He went on to join Kettering Town in 1999. The following season he joined Rushden & Diamonds and made 77 appearances, scoring three goals, his final appearance being in March 2003.
He moved on to Tamworth but domestic circumstances saw him move back to Lynn, making his debut for the senior side at the start of 2004.
He made 15 appearances that season, scoring twice. He made a further 36 appearances, scoring twice, in the following season before being released in June 2005.
He went on to play for AFC Sudbury and then spent two seasons at Swaffham before moving onto Wisbech where he became manager in November 2008.
“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 03:28:23 PM »
Shane Tolley, maybe not a legend, but who can forget his goal?   :scarf:

Like you Jesus -  the best night ive had as a lynn supporter in front of nearly 2000 fans what an atmosphere

This is why the term 'legend' can mean a great many things to so many people. Shane will be remembered with a fondness by all that were there that evening. I even managed to get a photo with him and the trophy in the bar after the game. Four days later I travelled to Belper for the final game of the season and saw him hit a hat trick in the opening half hour of the game.

Similarly I will never forget how instumental Dave Staff was in that 2004 promotion season from the Eastern League. Every time Lynn got a free kick 20-30 yards from goal you fancied him to score. He even scored directly from a corner at the Tennyson Road end in a game that season.

Wingwizzard

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 04:30:37 PM »
Agree with you robbo  legend  means different things to different people and from different era's   I also remember the hatrick at belper  one with his right  one with his left and a header from the edge of the area and there manager getting sent off and having to walk  across the pitch  to the tunnel in shame  o Happy days

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 04:33:02 PM »
Memory is a little hazy but I'm sure it's the fastest hat trick I've seen by a Lynn player.

Badger

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2016, 10:24:21 AM »
Hi.  I am a bit confused.  I originally nominated two players, one of them being Mick Wright.  My confusion is twofold.  Have I cast my vote and not able to vote again, or as Mick is now IN, can I vote for someone else. Please reply Backie.  Regards - Badger.  :oldman"