Author Topic: Academy the way forward  (Read 458 times)

Colin Fuller

• View Profile
Academy the way forward
« on: July 22, 2020, 12:38:48 PM »
At long last Lynn appear to be making a concerted effort to encourage and develop local talent.  It has to be the way forward if the club wants to continue to improve and be seen to represent the community.  Over many years of following the Linnets the club has generally failed miserably to develop potential first team players, various managers being only too happy to import players from far and wide.
Given a chance the likes of Mick Manning, Keith Rudd, the Defty brothers and a handful of others have proved they have the ability to make the grade at the top of non-league football. I guess Norwich will always have the status to draw in the outstanding youngsters but there must be plenty below that level who can make it with  a club like Lynn.

TonyM

• View Profile
Re: Academy the way forward
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 01:21:44 PM »
Colin, yes it is good to see local youngsters being given the opportunity although I would question how many there actually are (ever were) that are of suitable standard as there have been a fair number of lads who have come and gone over the years, as is always likely to be the case as young players with 'potential' find their level.

What we have seemed able to do since IC's arrival is attract those who didn't quite make it first time - King, Norman being the obvious two successes and could probably include Smith (and now Fleming) in that bracket and also the 'local lad' who just needs a bit more time to develop - FBT, Carey.  Yes, Norwich will always be able to attract the pick of the local talent but we do now seem to be better at picking up those that don't quite make it but are still capable of playing at a good standard, personally I would like to have seen Alfie Payne also given the opportunity at Lynn next season but all seems pretty quiet on that front.