Author Topic: Ground Improvements  (Read 2096 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Re: Ground Improvements
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2020, 01:17:45 PM »
We are already a fan run club as the bulk of the money taken to run the club is taken from the fans!

Obviously this was partially tongue in cheek but we are a long, long way from fan run / fan owned.  Paying an entrance fee for a product (in any walk of life) is far removed from investing and shouldn't ever really be seen as equivalent, it certainly isn't at truely 'fan run' clubs.  I would also question your definition of 'bulk' as I think the model SC is working to, unfortunately, needs a fair chunk of money from him every season.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2020, 01:39:40 PM »
No offence to contributors on this forum as they all have the stability and progress of the club at heart.  However, I donít believe that schemes such as cigarette-style cards of the players, photo-ops, etc., would appeal to the wider area of people that we should now be able to interest and attract.

Not unreasonable and a fair indication of where we are and the sorts of funds necessary to maintain that level

SC has run this club better than any other Chairman, and in a way that a fan-rum club would never be able to better. 

Wholly debatable statement and whilst you could argue that given who SC is up against (Dolimore, Bobbins, Chapman et al) makes that title slightly irrelevant, I really don't think we have a model that many would want to emulate (unless you are from Histon, Lowestoft, etc)

We should now be able to attract people who in the past would never have thought of coming to a game, and that is where our attentions should be aimed.  We therefore need reps for all the villages to round up and enthuse new supporters, and THAT is where our efforts should be made to help finance the club.  We must think bigger.....

Whilst the football on offer next season will be the highest standard many of us will have witnessed at the Walks (if fans are able to watch) that doesn't mean the club has a right to expect that fans 'should' come.  Many times in the past a successful side at a lower level has had attendances comparable or better then the following, less successful, season at a higher level.  Tickets have been prices at the upper end of what 'neutrals' might expect to pay to watch NL standard football so generating bigger attendances won't be easy, although I would agree that isn't a reason not aim for them.  A couple of seasons ago there were posters available for 'this months fixtures', maybe something similar could be arranged for this season and your 'village reps' could make sure they are put up around West Norfolk?  Personally I don't know what more can be done - Lynn News/YLP/EDP have good coverage, Radio Norfolk does an excellent job and KLFM cover the Linnets as much as any other sporting side so how do you attract that floating football fan?

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2020, 11:09:04 PM »
You make the place attractive to the thousands of people in this excellent catchment area who enjoy football but have always thought of KLTFC as being too small time, with an undeveloped ground.  That means improving the ground and enthusing the villages.  If we get televised our neat but undeveloped terraces wonít pull in those potential new customers .

Bluboy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2020, 09:34:37 AM »
You make the place attractive to the thousands of people in this excellent catchment area who enjoy football but have always thought of KLTFC as being too small time, with an undeveloped ground.  That means improving the ground and enthusing the villages.  If we get televised our neat but undeveloped terraces wonít pull in those potential new customers .
I agree but with development comes cost hard , one as do we establish NL status for 2/3 seasons then dev or get it done now ,
Yes lynn could be good catchment area but I find it hard also as we donít have substantial villages in close proximity to pull them in  etc hopefully get off to a good start and  turn a few heads  :scarf:

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2020, 09:55:25 AM »
Donít understand that one, Bluboy.  We have maybe a couple of hundred villages in our catchment area, (thatís a guess - Iíll have a lockdown count-up !).  Plus the beauty of the area is that there are no other pro-clubs to compete with, except for roughly 40 miles in any direction.  What a chance we have to ďpull Ďem inĒ....I think we have too many Linnets who would just as soon be a big fish in a tiny pool, lording it over poorly supported small clubs and feeling proud of our gates of 500 as be in the excellent position we are now at......  We should be able to do it - those people would be attracted, because, in their perception, they have never had the incentive to come to The Walks.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2020, 10:59:42 AM »
I think we are doing well to pull in 1400.  Kings Lynn population circa 45,000.

Harrogate ( just promoted out of the League we are now entering average crowd 1550.  Population circa 75,000..  plus watching football there is loads cheaper.

Bluboy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2020, 11:36:19 AM »
Donít understand that one, Bluboy.  We have maybe a couple of hundred villages in our catchment area, (thatís a guess - Iíll have a lockdown count-up !).  Plus the beauty of the area is that there are no other pro-clubs to compete with, except for roughly 40 miles in any direction.  What a chance we have to ďpull Ďem inĒ....I think we have too many Linnets who would just as soon be a big fish in a tiny pool, lording it over poorly supported small clubs and feeling proud of our gates of 500 as be in the excellent position we are now at......  We should be able to do it - those people would be attracted, because, in their perception, they have never had the incentive to come to The Walks.
Couple hundred villages ?? What Iím saying is I drive from lynn to fakenham and no really big populated villages ... and in those villages may have a village footy side on a Saturday, not everyone likes football, or may have Norwich season tickets etc etc also people donít realise the quality of non league footy  at the walks , think Iím 1 of a handful who travel from fakenham way and when I say I watch lynn not many understand why !!  I agree with mallard I really do think 1400-1600 is what loyalty we have where did the extra 2000 go who came to the York game ... if that game couldnít pull more in then I donít know what will ....

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2020, 12:23:44 PM »
Couple hundred villages ?? What Iím saying is I drive from lynn to fakenham and no really big populated villages ... and in those villages may have a village footy side on a Saturday, not everyone likes football, or may have Norwich season tickets etc etc also people donít realise the quality of non league footy  at the walks , think Iím 1 of a handful who travel from fakenham way and when I say I watch lynn not many understand why !!  I agree with mallard I really do think 1400-1600 is what loyalty we have where did the extra 2000 go who came to the York game ... if that game couldnít pull more in then I donít know what will ....

I must admit that, even taking into account the success of last season, I was pleasantly surprised that the gates averaged around 1400. I'm of the belief that unless we are challenging for a play off place again next season, we won't get many more than that despite now being at a higher level. Obviously the virus will dictate what size gates we actually achieve for next season.

With regards to the villages that are around Kings Lynn, its possible to get a list from the Post Office website listing all the surrounding villages. Its something that Web designers frequently use  (all hidden nicely away from sight) to assist getting local traffic to their websites and to make their sites appear high in the rankings for the likes of Google etc.

I would think this has all been done for the Clubs new website. Obviously people know where to find the Club, but if people are searching for gifts/Merchandise/special offers/function rooms/Corporate days etc etc etc, then its a valuable tool to use.

Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2020, 11:50:32 PM »
Harrogate catchment 75,000 ?!  We have an unchallenged catchment of about 120,000 !  And we donít have a Leeds Utd or half a dozen other league clubs in close proximity.  Yes , KL may reach 45,000, but itís not just KL people who enjoy football in the area.  Also, re other points that ďthey know where we areĒ and we could offer sponsors facilities for corporate events, a nice meal etc,  I feel the sort of sponsors we need are probably regular users of rather more salubrious hostelries than ours !  But itís also obviously true that this season the virus will decide the ďpull factorĒ rather than the football.  Itís fine to differ, because weíre all trying to find the holy grail.  Has Mark Hearle had any luck ?