Author Topic: Ground Improvements  (Read 2074 times)

dillydilly

• View Profile
Ground Improvements
« on: August 01, 2020, 11:10:48 PM »
There must be a lot of terracing, seating, and/or roofing that might be for sale at Boston United’s excellent York Street ground.  As The Walks needs quite a lot of improvement considering the level we have now reached and hope at least to consolidate, shouldn’t we be interested in acquiring some stock, with that in mind ?  Finance permitting, of course....

KES80

• View Profile
Re: Ground Improvements
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 08:47:08 AM »
At this stage of the game, think your last sentence is key Dilly..........not sure of the ground development deadline, but it must be some way off........think the aim would be to get some income in first. The  Chairman has already put plenty in ......

Unless of course some new local firm would like to sponsor the purchase or more of the supporters were to buy into the fabulous  success of the club.

Btw how for example is the season ticket raffle going ?

Last we heard, a meagre 66 punters, which the Trust thought was quite encouraging. I do hope the figure turns out to be much higher than that.
I know these are uncertain times and many are worried about finances, but there must be those in the area, who are not being affected........(I know of many in Norwich who are doing ok), when you hear what clubs who are now a league below Lynn have raised.........well the response so far for Lynn is more than disappointing IMO.........

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 09:18:11 AM »

Btw how for example is the season ticket raffle going ?

Last we heard, a meagre 66 punters

Go on Kes.......make it 67!

Everyone has the opportunity to make a difference.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 10:00:47 AM »
KES I agree it does seem like every fund raising initiative launched as a fund raiser seems to fall flat on his ass.

Now would you suggest it’s down to the apathy toward a single ownership
Model with a dodgy history or just the Lynn fans not having the money to give?

It is certainly a recurring theme that despite pulling in 1400 Fans it is a very tiny % of fans who are prepared to hand over more than just the admission fee

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 10:51:11 AM »
Agree with Mallard.  I’m speaking from a position of hypocrisy, but I believe the problem is psychological.  If I or perhaps many of the “reluctants” saw the money going in from a scheme starting to make a real difference to potential, then we’d chip in with decent sums.  However, if the number of participants and therefore input stays low, it feels psychologically that we might be throwing our hard earned down a hole.  More hypocrisy from me there, because mine is no longer hard earned as I’m retired !

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 12:13:46 PM »
If I or perhaps many of the “reluctants” saw the money going in from a scheme starting to make a real difference to potential, then we’d chip in with decent sums.

Hi Dilly

May I ask what Scheme would appeal to you? Would Turnstyles and Floodlights not fit the description of making a real difference?

If not, then once such a scheme had been identified, how much do you believe is a decent sum?

Would you then be prepared to give donated money  directly  to the Club to so Mr Cleeve can spend it as he wishes, or would you like it to be donated via a vehicle (such as, but not necessarily, the Trust) so the money goes to an area that the people donating the money, want it to go to?

:dontknow:
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 12:38:16 PM »
Agree with Mallard.  I’m speaking from a position of hypocrisy, but I believe the problem is psychological.  If I or perhaps many of the “reluctants” saw the money going in from a scheme starting to make a real difference to potential, then we’d chip in with decent sums.  However, if the number of participants and therefore input stays low, it feels psychologically that we might be throwing our hard earned down a hole.  More hypocrisy from me there, because mine is no longer hard earned as I’m retired !

Dilly, given the wide range of fund raising schemes that have been tried in the past couple of season, if you are still 'reluctant' (and I appreciate you are in a sizable majority here), I really don't think it is down to 'making a difference' as some of the schemes have been very specific:
   * supporters collection for frost protection cover - how much more specific can you get but still didn't raise half the cost with bucket collections
   * Ground Development Fund - funds protected in a separate bank account, only spent on specific items to improve the Walks as per FA ground grading requirements, track record of raising and spending the money as stated but still very little take up from fans
   * 12th man - all funds supposedly going to player budget, effectively a 'win bonus' scheme but not much of an incentive for the squad to share £65 for a win

I don't have an answer, a few hunches as to why people don't support the various schemes, but I think this could be a 'make or break' season for both fans and the current owner, he has chosen to run the club 'his way' but doesn't appear to have the funds to carry this on indefinitely so maybe a case of him having to change his MO or the fans changing their collective view of what is required to watch the club play at step 1 / 2 of the pyramid.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 12:44:58 PM »
KES I agree it does seem like every fund raising initiative launched as a fund raiser seems to fall flat on his ass.

Now would you suggest it’s down to the apathy toward a single ownership
Model with a dodgy history or just the Lynn fans not having the money to give?

It is certainly a recurring theme that despite pulling in 1400 Fans it is a very tiny % of fans who are prepared to hand over more than just the admission fee

Well Mall, I would be very disappointed if people are still refusing to give purely on the basis of the model, which infact has provided the best football, the most excitement and the most success in living memory.

I recognise, as a self employed person who wasn't able to work for 4 months due to Covid restrictions, that some don't have the cash, but I am also sure that many could afford something significant.

I personally think it's a combination of :

1/ people having a mindset of just paying on match day
2/ In some instances things being launched without really encouraging participation or being launched in a low key way with no target or with too low an expectation.
Couple of examples spring to mind.
I mentioned yonks ago about masks...... it's been clear for ages that everyone needs one and they are here to stay.
Could and should have been launched ages ago when everyone was looking for one.Remember posting on here and had a very negative response from some.
Now finally being launched with limited supply...far too little too late... a great way of marketing the club and developing community involvement if done at the right time.
As it's so late in the day, maybe a mask and a league winners badge should be given out/sold only with a season ticket...make them exclusive to those who commit.
Second, the Trust's season ticket scheme....rather low key, no real target too low aspiration level if 66 is deemed good...heck that's a profit of around £300....come on it's National League, not Sunday League ! Have considered making it 67 B and G and then giving ticket back if I win, but even tho hard up, think some small donation to the club might be more beneficial.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 12:51:48 PM »
...Second, the Trust's season ticket scheme....rather low key, no real target too low aspiration level if 66 is deemed good...heck that's a profit of around £300....come on it's National League, not Sunday League ! Have considered making it 67 B and G and then giving ticket back if I win, but even tho hard up, think some small donation to the club might be more beneficial.

Not sure there was 'a target' as such and whilst I would love to see the entrants in the hundreds you appear to have given an answer as to why that isn't the case.  Just for info, currently the raffle is set to generate £660 towards the Ground Development Fund (the price of the ticket was raised from donations by businesses / individuals)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 01:20:49 PM »
 Kes.

The Trust has a membership of around 80 people. That's all.

If you combine the number of people that have purchased tickets, and also contributed to the purchase of the ticket (i.e. so the cost of the season ticket prize does not have to be taken from the raffle ticket sales), that also gives you a figure of around 80. They may or may not be the same 80.

Compare this number to the amount of individuals that contributed to the Clubs/Fotl's last two fund raising efforts..........and they have 1400 regular supporters to go at.

More beneficial making a small donation to the Club (although its down to the individuals how they donate their own money)? Whys that? What can be more beneficial than 100"% of the Trusts season ticket raffle money raised going to the Club? Even the cost of the prize has been taken care of by kind donations.

Low key, when it can be argued that there's been a 100% take up?   :laughcry:

If the Club and their FOTL could repeat such success, then maybe things could start going in the right direction.
 :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 01:23:39 PM »
The Club seems to lack that community spirit feeling, as in it’s the fans Club.   It instead has a feeling of being Stephen Cleeve owner Club ( which of course it is).  The owner makes no attempt to engage with The Trust and even the Friends have no say in the running of the Club.   

Having said that Sc does seem to have allowed the likes of Mark  to join the inner circle.   So hopefully with him now organising the fund raising/commercial side things may change.   It does seem that the ‘old team’ who raised money for the Club were very successful but it does seem strange that these people have not been contacted to help out.  Then again maybe they have ?

With the Club at its highest level in decades, with the best manager in charge that most of us have seen, with a new youth set up looking head and shoulders what we have had before, crowds averaging 1400 plus.   Yet we still have this apathy toward the Club.

Colin Fuller

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 02:02:31 PM »
I have two observations to make re. the GDF. Firstly, I am in favour of the Trust contributing towards specific projects like last year’s turnstile upgrade.
Secondly, it might be helpful if fans were told by the club what needs upgrading to meet NL standards. For example, if you prefer to stand and watch from one end, and knew the club had to provide a covered section then that would be an incentive to contribute towards fund-raising.
As a matter of interest, I recently read that the fund-raising scheme, called the West Norfolk Competition, which helped pay for the main stand in the 1950s was apparently supported by 30,000 members at one time.
How times have changed!

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 02:17:22 PM »
Tony and B  and G......we should all be grateful for your input and work...I know Tony was one who contributed for the season ticket scheme.....and I don't want to appear to be a "knocker"....just trying to find an answer for all this low energy and apathy(some of which I feel, may be endemic in the town )......and B and G I wasn't aware that you are only 80 in number (that has shocked me somewhat!)

We, the Club, the Trust we just need a way to really stir things up in a positive way and get people on board.

I know there have been many attempts...but how about this one for the Club (Mark ...are you there ?)

A new KLTFC membership idea.. let's call it something simple like "The King's Lynn Fan Club" .
Let's make it affordable, but worthwhile for both the club and fans......so let's say £150 per annum.
Let's make the benefits be related to the match day(as that is when most people seem happy to part with their cash) and also give something that people can wear with pride when around the town, which will in turn advertise the club and encourage others....and most importantly let's encourage fans to have the opportunity to connect more with players and staff.
How about a free matchday programme at each home game, an item of clothing (scarf, mask, etc), a Kings Lynn fan club badge and a signed photo of the whole squad/individual picture of member with favourite player etc.

Now the really important bit...liase with Lynn News and EDP and radio Stations to really advertise it. Let the local schools know about it by player visits(incl KES where the Academy is). Have 1or 2 events in the year in the Bar/Hospitality Area that are reduced admission for members  eg talks by current players/management.....sit ins on training sessions, visits by full time pros, maybe a Christmas do attended by some players and staff etc

Just absolutely anything to get that connection between the people at the club and the people in the town and surrounds!
I feel the club has to reach out and go into the town and West Norfolk more.....people opening fetes, events, turning on Christmas lights etc etc

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 02:36:59 PM »
Another nice idea would be to include a monthly fanzine, with some exclusives, just for members.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 04:13:11 PM »
I think the biggest assets the club has for fund raising are the Players and the Management team. 
Now to find a way to utilise those assets to the Clubs benefit.