Author Topic: Dover  (Read 1279 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Dover
« on: August 03, 2020, 02:13:50 PM »
Not the sort of statement you want to see from any club:
http://www.doverathletic.com/news/statement-from-chairman/

Worrying thing is we don't really know how much of this has been brought on by COVID and how much was there beforehand but, either way, I don't think we can be anything but concerned for football at steps 1 & 2 (where there are 'substantial' wages but very little non-match day income)

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: Dover
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 03:04:55 PM »
How does this work Tony ?

Season ticket purchases are fully protected and a full refund will be issued if the worse happens, so supporters can continue to purchase in confidence.

Surely if the Club goes pop then the those having purchased season tickets become a creditor among with X number of others.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 03:58:10 PM »
How does this work Tony ?

Season ticket purchases are fully protected and a full refund will be issued if the worse happens, so supporters can continue to purchase in confidence.

Surely if the Club goes pop then the those having purchased season tickets become a creditor among with X number of others.

https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds

"It’s illegal to display any notice that deliberately misleads consumers or deceives them about their rights, for example a sign that says you do not accept returns or offer refunds".

https://www.buckles-law.co.uk/blog/what-businesses-need-to-know-about-a-consumers-rights-to-obtaining-a-refund-when-a-contract-is-cancelled-due-to-the-covid-19-pandemic/

"Businesses should be aware that the CMA considers that consumers’ rights to refunds will apply even if the business has stated that any deposit or advance payment is non-refundable. Additionally, it is of the view that businesses should not charge an administrative fee (or equivalent) for processing such refunds due".

Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 04:09:05 PM »
B&G. Maybe the idea of giving refunds is something Stephen Cleeve never had to bother himself with his previous business ventures. :countingmoney:

I do wonder how many more teams are in a similar situation to Dover ?  Maybe all 24 won’t come to the starting stalls in October.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 04:19:17 PM »
I do wonder how many more teams are in a similar situation to Dover ?  Maybe all 24 won’t come to the starting stalls in October.

Yes, very worrying. I would guess they are not the only one's that ind themselves in this position.

Players not agreeing to a wage cut! Do you think that's down to the players themselves (as it seems crazy for them not to agree to it and work with the Club), or their Agents who I guess have already been paid for when the players joined Dover and will probably get paid again when they sign for new Clubs.  :dontknow:
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

kenny r

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 05:39:11 PM »
Mallard, your remark re previous business ventures probably sums up the attitude of the Town's business community towards the present owner.
 What goes round comes round.

Chilvers Gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 08:01:45 PM »
Mallard, your remark re previous business ventures probably sums up the attitude of the Town's business community towards the present owner.
 What goes round comes round.
And round and round and round and round just like the magic roundabout. LOL!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 08:45:28 PM »
GC what, for example would it take for to get back involved in Sponsorship ?  I’m sure MH would appreciate feedback on what could be done to bring more revenue in.

kenny r

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 10:20:28 PM »
On a more positive note, several years ago a few Trust members put together a list of over 20 fundraising ideas ranging from selling seats on the team bus for away games through to the end of season marquee weekend at the Walks so the ideas are out there.

Sadly the Chapmans weren't interested in outsider involvement and obviously neither is Mr.Cleeve.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 10:12:18 AM »
People putting ideas forward, kenny r, are praiseworthy.  Trouble is, many of the ideas won’t secure the kind of input that would make much difference.  Marquee days, seat sales, etc, are laudable efforts, but they are roughly the sort of thing that keep a Scout-hut going for another year.....  I think Mark Hearle should try enthusing villages to “grow” supporter numbers, because, as I keep boring people with, we have so many villages in the “footy-plain” that runs from Hunstanton - Fakenham - Swaffham - Downham - Wisbech - and, of course, King’s Lynn....  Finished for today, apols for sending a few to sleep in the morning sunshine !

Chilvers Gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 12:31:26 PM »
GC what, for example would it take for to get back involved in Sponsorship ?  I’m sure MH would appreciate feedback on what could be done to bring more revenue in.
I don't think certain people would appreciate my answer.  Certain person thinking that we  (Double G)and Joma were shafting the club with prices. Did you know allegedly that Joma are having their kits made for between 50p and a £1 according to certain person (which means that Adidas and Nike etc are also. If you believe that bull you will believe all the other crap.
I have mountains of emails as proof of the crap that Double G put up with in the past few years all from the same persons hand so don't expect any more multi thousands of sponsorship from Double G anytime soon. Perhaps i should write a book. I would imagine it will be  a bestseller!
I will never say never but certainly under totally different circumstances.
I would like to think that after 53 years in the clothing trade i haven't ever knowingly screwed anybody and don't intend starting now. Also 58 years of going through the gate/turnstiles stands for nothing.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 01:15:54 PM »
I would like to think that after 53 years in the clothing trade i haven't ever knowingly screwed anybody and don't intend starting now.  nothing.

Anyone that knows you and Graham would think that anyway. How you can be accused of screwing anybody, when you have probably put more money into the Club via sponsorship over the last 30 years or so than any other local business, is beyond me!

Maybe there lies the answer with regards to why sponsors and advertisers are more difficult to attract than in years gone by.   :dontknow:

Now, if its come down to the toss of a coin as to who to believe..................that will be a difficult one!   :laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 01:20:16 PM »
So are we talking Stephen Cleeve or Mark Hearle here?  These are the two running the Club.  Or do they both use the same ‘pen’?

kenny r

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 01:45:28 PM »
Dilly, I mentioned a marquee weekend not day. Is £14000 profit at 2006 prices to be sniffed at?
 It is all part of encouraging and allowing engagement by supporters by organising as many activities as you can. That is how you build the community involvement that is so lacking at the moment.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 02:16:56 PM »
Dilly, I mentioned a marquee weekend not day. Is £14000 profit at 2006 prices to be sniffed at?
 It is all part of encouraging and allowing engagement by supporters by organising as many activities as you can. That is how you build the community involvement that is so lacking at the moment.

Very much so.  From little Acorns...................

The problem that I see is that certain people are only interested in large sums of money. It don't work like that. You have to start with the small fund raising events (literally people at Gates with buckets), then build up to the Events such as Kenny mentions. It don't come overnight. What people are looking at now (encouraging more people to become involved) is something that should have been done years ago. As far as this subject is concerned, we have wasted 11 years!

Shame all these foundations were not put in place when the Club first reformed (or were allowed to be put in place).

The longest standing buildings have solid foundations................they weren't built on sand.