Author Topic: Fundraising  (Read 1192 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Fundraising
« on: August 10, 2020, 01:31:32 PM »
So with the Trust's GDF season ticket raffle being drawn tonight and putting over £1000 into the GDF pot, what can be learned and where do we go next? 

For me, the big thing is that if the Trust hadn't taken some initiative there wouldn't be an extra £1000 - donations to the GDF II are currently just over £2400 (+ the raffle money) and it seems it's much better to run 'a fundraiser' whether that is a raffle or a quiz (that raised money for GDF I) than to just ask for donations.  Hopefully there will be something else in the pipeline between now and Christmas with a push to again raise a sum for a specific item that will be required for the ground grading improvements - I think a 'target' helps focus the minds and also shows those contributing where their money is going.

I appreciate that it is difficult in current times, both physically with social distancing and financially with many unsure of their incomes, to raise money but what are other people's views on how the fans can be encouraged to contribute (over and above match days) to the club? 

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
Re: Fundraising
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 02:00:03 PM »
In reality, different people will respond to different methods of fund raising.

Some will be willing to donate to a war chest, others a Race night, others a quiz night, others a raffle etc etc (some to all, some to none).

It's the same with marketing and advertising. If someone could identify the right button to push so everyone responded to the same thing, they would be the richest person in the world.

The Club needs to have the right people in place so they can run the raffles, quiz nights, race nights, do the 50/50, meet the players evening, end of season presentation and dance (for the supporters)..............................even buckets at the gates (loose change adds up)etc etc etc. Its not just a case of putting people who appear willing in charge of such things. They need to be cut out for the job.

The other Clubs that have previously been mentioned, and have raised nearer the 100k mark, didn't do this by one event. They got as many people involved as possible (literally an army of supporters and Club Officials) and had all sorts of different fund raising initiatives.

Its also not unusual to have players and management involved as well. Has the Club even considered that?

Think about it...............A player not involved with a game due to injury or suspension, going around the ground with raffle tickets....................who's going to refuse to buy a ticket when its the likes of Gash, Marriott or even Backie?

Has anyone ever see our current Chairman walking the Terraces prior to the game, thanking and encouraging supporters (if they have, fair enough, but I haven't)? Even Buster and his son were not adverse to pressing a bit of flesh prior to a game (and that was before Sanitiser was on tap). When the old Club was still running, it was unusual NOT to see one or more Directors on the terraces, even during the game.

Be inclusive, not exclusive. Appeal to as many as you can. Know your audience and what you are trying to achieve. If you decide to walk over a different bridge, don't burn the old one down.

A message every now and again which basically says "give me your money" has very little appeal to the majority of people.

The current Pandemic will limit whats possible for the time being, but it won't always be here. Planning such things now,for the future, is as good as an investment.

£1,000 here, £5,000 there, all adds up. It may involve a lot of work, but this is Kings Lynn and reality. I believe it's a case of doing it this way or no way. I really can't think of any single event that's suddenly going to generate 50K or more.

I also believe that if Supporters keep getting hit with expensive match days, be it entrance fees, cost of food and drink etc, they will be less likely to take part in other fund raising events (that's just my opinion though).

With regards to the current raffle for the GDF, well done to the Trust Officials, and thanks for your efforts.

Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 02:05:35 PM »
Coming up with those ideas B&G you can expect a call from the Club.   Has Mark got your number ?   Then again maybe not.

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 02:28:45 PM »
Well done in raising the Raffle money itís a step in the right direction ,I liken the club to a rowing boat if we all row together we will go forward

Chilvers Gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 09:48:52 PM »
In reality, different people will respond to different methods of fund raising.

Some will be willing to donate to a war chest, others a Race night, others a quiz night, others a raffle etc etc (some to all, some to none).

It's the same with marketing and advertising. If someone could identify the right button to push so everyone responded to the same thing, they would be the richest person in the world.

The Club needs to have the right people in place so they can run the raffles, quiz nights, race nights, do the 50/50, meet the players evening, end of season presentation and dance (for the supporters)..............................even buckets at the gates (loose change adds up)etc etc etc. Its not just a case of putting people who appear willing in charge of such things. They need to be cut out for the job.

The other Clubs that have previously been mentioned, and have raised nearer the 100k mark, didn't do this by one event. They got as many people involved as possible (literally an army of supporters and Club Officials) and had all sorts of different fund raising initiatives.

Its also not unusual to have players and management involved as well. Has the Club even considered that?

Think about it...............A player not involved with a game due to injury or suspension, going around the ground with raffle tickets....................who's going to refuse to buy a ticket when its the likes of Gash, Marriott or even Backie?

Has anyone ever see our current Chairman walking the Terraces prior to the game, thanking and encouraging supporters (if they have, fair enough, but I haven't)? Even Buster and his son were not adverse to pressing a bit of flesh prior to a game (and that was before Sanitiser was on tap). When the old Club was still running, it was unusual NOT to see one or more Directors on the terraces, even during the game.

Be inclusive, not exclusive. Appeal to as many as you can. Know your audience and what you are trying to achieve. If you decide to walk over a different bridge, don't burn the old one down.

A message every now and again which basically says "give me your money" has very little appeal to the majority of people.

The current Pandemic will limit whats possible for the time being, but it won't always be here. Planning such things now,for the future, is as good as an investment.

£1,000 here, £5,000 there, all adds up. It may involve a lot of work, but this is Kings Lynn and reality. I believe it's a case of doing it this way or no way. I really can't think of any single event that's suddenly going to generate 50K or more.

I also believe that if Supporters keep getting hit with expensive match days, be it entrance fees, cost of food and drink etc, they will be less likely to take part in other fund raising events (that's just my opinion though).

With regards to the current raffle for the GDF, well done to the Trust Officials, and thanks for your efforts.
Turn the clock back 10 years or so. So much money was being raised but where did it go. Club went tits up! Brilliant effort by the Supporters club and a management committee that were actually thanked for their efforts.
I know of one person who offered to put evbents on in the clubroom FOR THE CLUB who was told he would have to pay the hire fee first ???????
Also someone who wanted a 60th there but with his own DJ to be told the cost would be much more to cover the electricity!!!!!!!!!

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 07:19:48 AM »
Would it be worth seeing if you can fit in another season ticket raffle before the season kicks off, I would be willing to gamble another tenner? :dontknow:
ďNo one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?Ē

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 09:03:29 AM »
Watched the draw last night.   Alas I was not the lucky recipient of the winning prize.   I one thing that did look abundantly clear is where ever the draw took place they need to get that fence painted :laughcry:

Well done to all. 

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 09:18:41 AM »
Would it be worth seeing if you can fit in another season ticket raffle before the season kicks off, I would be willing to gamble another tenner? :dontknow:

Not sure on that one for the moment, as apparently NL have advised Clubs not to sell season tickets for the time being.   :dontknow:
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 09:46:32 AM »

Not sure on that one for the moment, as apparently NL have advised Clubs not to sell season tickets for the time being.   :dontknow:

Given that the club Tweeted this yesterday evening I guess the advice is being ignored.
"King's Lynn Town FC
@officialKLtown

14h
The box office is open tomorrow between 11 and 4 for season ticket sales and collections. Please bring relevant ID for collections if required."
ďOnce you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shinesĒ

Captain Sensible

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 10:46:24 AM »

Given that the club Tweeted this yesterday evening I guess the advice is being ignored.
"King's Lynn Town FC
@officialKLtown

14h
The box office is open tomorrow between 11 and 4 for season ticket sales and collections. Please bring relevant ID for collections if required."

It looks and sounds as if two issues have been ignored.1)The advice from the National League that Clubs should not sell season tickets.2)That it appears illegal to promote that there will be no refunds or to sell tickets with these conditions.In all my years in football I have never known such a shambles and disregard for the supporters.
Whats going on?If Mr Cleeve is too busy to answer then let Mark Hearle of Rob Back answer.They are all responsible for what goes on at the club both legally and morally.
Why is the Club still selling tickets against the advice of the National League and why have they not commented on the legality of a no refund policy?
The supporters need to know!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 02:25:03 PM »

How about Contacting Mark Hearle to see if the Club would release the first of the new shirts off the production line, with the new sponsor's name.  Then get all the first team squad to sign it and The Trust run a raffle at a Fiver a ticket. 

Iíll even buy the shirt.

Maybe the Chairman could present the shirt to the winner.  Good photo opportunity for the Chairman/Club plus also help toward a reconciliation between SC and The Trust.

Thoughts?

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 02:33:49 PM »

How about Contacting Mark Hearle to see if the Club would release the first of the new shirts off the production line, with the new sponsor's name.  Then get all the first team squad to sign it and The Trust run a raffle at a Fiver a ticket. 

Iíll even buy the shirt.

Maybe the Chairman could present the shirt to the winner.  Good photo opportunity for the Chairman/Club plus also help toward a reconciliation between SC and The Trust.

Thoughts?

I'll contact the Trust Chairman now and get his thoughts on it.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 03:05:24 PM »

Iíll even buy the shirt.

Thoughts?

I'll contact the Trust Chairman now and get his thoughts on it.

I've spoken to the Trust Chairman, and he thinks its a great idea and is willing to go with it.

Mallard, just to confirm. You'll be happy to purchase the shirt, so that 100% of money received via the sale of raffle tickets can go towards the GDF?

If that's the case, hopefully you will hear from Mark Hearle with regards to the Clubs agreement with the buying of the shirt for this purpose and obtaining the 1st team players signatures. If you don't hear anything, are you willing to email the Club?

This could be a real good fund raiser.......................and a nice item to own....................especially if at the end of the season this Squad takes us into the Football League. 

:scarf:  :scarf:  :scarf:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 03:18:48 PM »
B&G, quite happy to do my little bit and donate the shirt.  I would hope that Mark will be in touch with the Trust to confirm if itís a goer or not.   I know it wonít raise big bucks but should work for all parties on all kinds of levels.

I take it for granted that both SC and MH read the forum.

I feel with this being our first season at this level in 50 years then the first shirt, and signed, would be a treasured possession that many would love to own.

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 09:27:56 PM »

Iíll even buy the shirt.

Thoughts?

Well done Mallard. I'm sure i read somewhere they only cost  £1 to manufacture, so shouldn't be too expensive for you.