Author Topic: On This Day . . .  (Read 784 times)

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
On This Day . . .
« on: August 30, 2020, 09:00:19 AM »
One Hundred and Thirty-Nine Years Ago
"At a meeting held on Tuesday evening [30th August] it was unanimously resolved to form a King's Lynn Football Club.
The following were elected officers: Captain, Mr L K Jarvis, deputy captain, Mr W F N Woodham; Treasurer, Mr F Reddie, and hon secretaries, Messr R W Street and H Barrett. The committee is comprised of J Rutter, C  Dennis, W Smith, G Reddie and T M Nuccoll"
From the Norfolk Chronicle  3rd September 1881

The club played its first game on 8th October 1881.

Squire of Langham

• View Profile
Re: On This Day . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 09:10:09 PM »
So this means that the date shown on the last seasons shirts (1879) is incorrect.  Will this be rectified for this season?

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 09:49:58 PM »
I can find no evidence from newspapers of the time that King's Lynn FC existed in 1879.
Basically a club called Lynn CEYMS became King's Lynn FC in 1881.

This research was a result of having nothing better to do during lockdown and finding the British Newspaper Archive website.

Other things discovered include that Lynn fielded three England internationals in the team that won what is now known as the Norfolk Senior Cup in 1883.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 10:27:56 PM »
I can find no evidence from newspapers of the time that King's Lynn FC existed in 1879.
Basically a club called Lynn CEYMS became King's Lynn FC in 1881.

This research was a result of having nothing better to do during lockdown and finding the British Newspaper Archive website.

Other things discovered include that Lynn fielded three England internationals in the team that won what is now known as the Norfolk Senior Cup in 1883.

Have you made the Club aware of your findings?  :dontknow:
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 08:47:54 AM »
Yes, at the end of June. Mark Hearle aware and relevant newspaper articles sent to David Wright, the club historian.

I can't see anything changing though, it will be a big task. 

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 03:39:41 PM »
Why is there a a differing of opinion on when the Club was formed ?  I guess all records tracing the forming of the club are there for anyone to view

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 04:00:22 PM »
It has been a long held belief that the club was formed/reformed in 1879. It appeared in the club handbook of 1968-69.
However, I believe this was based on a misinterpretation rather than any evidence from the time.
Check out the opening paragraphs of  https://www.thelinnets.co.uk/theclubhistory.php