Author Topic: The Future of the Club  (Read 2759 times)

Captain Sensible

• View Profile
The Future of the Club
« on: September 22, 2020, 04:43:50 PM »
Stephen Cleeve in the edp states ďIf we could cover the wages from the streaming from our home games I could likely cover the other expenses, the coach travel, utility expenses and stuff like that, myself. I do think without the stream money weíre finished. If not, would the players take less money during this period”?

If thatís the plan and we are relying on that,I fear for the worst.
It reminds of the time I read a book by Miguel de Cervantes.

TonyM

• View Profile
Re: The Future of the Club
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 05:23:34 PM »
On the face of it sounds great that SC thinks he could cover the overheads so long as the streaming income covered the wages, until you read on that the "weekly budget that is now into five figures" £10K a WEEK and we still class ourselves as part-time!  On these figures I think SC would have been struggling massively to cover wages with matchday income had we not had any restrictions so to now expect streaming to plug that gap doesn't seem so reasonable.

Is it any wonder that the government doesn't view football with any sympathy with these sorts of numbers and when some are calling for a rescue package in the £15-20m range for National League https://www.bt.com/sport/news/2020/september/dagenham-s-steve-thompson-makes-plea-for-government-help-in-the-national-leagues

Whatever happened to 'Project reset'? 

Dilligaf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 05:39:29 PM »
When you look at one player....bale being paid 650K a week....a week. Therein lies footballs problem.. (not that I am blaming bale or any other player for taking what they're offered....I would)... :bankrupt:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 05:58:49 PM »
10k Tony ?  I think you will be short of the Mark for Lynnís current playing budget for a squad of 21/22 players.   Then you have to factor IC and other full time and part time employees.  I think when you put all that together with NI contributions etc you would be close to doubling your estimate.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 05:59:56 PM »
On the face of it sounds great that SC thinks he could cover the overheads so long as the streaming income covered the wages, until you read on that the "weekly budget that is now into five figures" £10K a WEEK and we still class ourselves as part-time!  On these figures I think SC would have been struggling massively to cover wages with matchday income had we not had any restrictions so to now expect streaming to plug that gap doesn't seem so reasonable.

10k divided by say 25 players and staff. I'd be surprised if its not a fair amount more than that!

Streaming income to cover wages, Chairman to cover away travel, and other such items. If that suggestion was switched around so the Chairman covered the wages and the streaming covered the other expenses, we could be in with a chance. Having said that, has anyone got any idea what sort of figures the streaming of games has attracted so far?

At £10 a game, we would need 2,000 people to stream each home game.
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 06:01:26 PM »

Whatever happened to 'Project reset'?

Indeed!

Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 06:19:32 PM »
If clubs canít survive without crowds in at our level ( the elite few apart)  then sadly the League will need to pull the plug and clubís forced to mothball the Clubs for 12 months.   

This scenario was always on the cards and it canít Have  come as a shock to most.     Clubs have had since March to prepare for this worst case scenario.  All this talk of reset buttons being pushed seems to have all been forgotten.   

The warnings signs were all there, and seemingly ignored at their peril

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 06:49:23 PM »

This scenario was always on the cards and it canít Have  come as a shock to most.     Clubs have had since March to prepare for this worst case scenario.  All this talk of reset buttons being pushed seems to have all been forgotten.   

The warnings signs were all there, and seemingly ignored at their peril

Very much so on all counts.  :banghead;

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 07:36:56 PM »
Sounds like all you good people who have been "enjoying the ride", whilst encouraging SC to spend spend spend.  Now need to dig deep and bail the owner out.  :countingmoney:

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 07:41:19 PM »
If clubs canít survive without crowds in at our level ( the elite few apart)  then sadly the League will need to pull the plug and clubís forced to mothball the Clubs for 12 months...   

Just to pick up on this, what would 'mothballing' actually look like?  SC made the comment that when it was announced the new season wouldn't start on 1st August, that most players had agreed to defer their start date until the season actually started (at the time he said one hadn't agreed).  Obviously players have come and gone since then but we are still probably in a much better position than many NL clubs with 'full-time' contracted squads and I would assume the PFA will pretty quickly get involved if the NL proposed cancelling all contracts for 2020/21

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 07:59:11 PM »
Well Gordon has to do something to show he is worth that salary. 

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 08:46:22 PM »
If clubs canít survive without crowds in at our level ( the elite few apart)  then sadly the League will need to pull the plug and clubís forced to mothball the Clubs for 12 months...   

Just to pick up on this, what would 'mothballing' actually look like?  SC made the comment that when it was announced the new season wouldn't start on 1st August, that most players had agreed to defer their start date until the season actually started (at the time he said one hadn't agreed).  Obviously players have come and gone since then but we are still probably in a much better position than many NL clubs with 'full-time' contracted squads and I would assume the PFA will pretty quickly get involved if the NL proposed cancelling all contracts for 2020/21

Puts the NL in a difficult place. Try to hold the league this season, and probably bankrupt most clubs into doing something they canít afford. Or cancel (perpetually delay) the season, breaking the pyramid, and necessitating the cancelling/deferring of over a thousand players across the three divisions they control. It would probably Be better to just cancel, rather than defer it for a month at a time, to provide some clarity. Mini-tournamentís in spring/summer for some kind of football, kick off 2021 in August.

If there was the will, the government could require the PL to keep the lower tier clubs afloat in exchange for still being allowed to play and rake in their tv money, but that likely wonít happen. Possibly some hope of an entertainment targeted furlough type scheme given the mood music on the backbenchís. That or 50+ phoenix clubs come 2021, including us.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 09:23:57 PM »
Sounds like all you good people who have been "enjoying the ride", whilst encouraging SC to spend spend spend.  Now need to dig deep and bail the owner out.  :countingmoney:

That will be for others to  arrange. :rain:

Dilligaf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 05:15:10 AM »
I feel another podcast is imminent...
 :rain: