Author Topic: Ronnie Bacon  (Read 1545 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ronnie Bacon
« on: September 30, 2020, 01:01:05 PM »

It is with great sadness that I write to inform you that a former linnets player my father RONNIE BACON passed away on Friday the 25th September, at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, kings Lynn ,Age 85 , as my father played for kings Lynn for seven years I thought this would be of interest to the club and fans, he was famously involved in the 1961-62 cup run and a favourite with fans.
the hearse will be travelling passed the ground on Friday the 9th October 2020 from Goodwin's Road at approximately 2.50.
kind regards
Susan Kelland (Bacon)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
Re: Ronnie Bacon
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 01:02:52 PM »

...................... and a favourite with fans.

kind regards
Susan Kelland (Bacon)

He certainly was that!

RIP Ronnie.
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Steve C

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 01:56:12 PM »
Really really sad news.

I always spoke to Ronnie whenever I saw him, he always looked fit and well. I usually asked after Kevin and his wife as I worked for the same company as them and later lived near them in the late 1980s.

I recall Ronnie decorating and wallpapering my parents house when I was young and also remember him playing for Kings Lynn.

My sincerest condolences to you and your family.

RIP Ronnie.
Followed KLFC until 2009.

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 03:33:50 PM »
The most exciting winger I have seen playing on the Walks

RIP

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 03:40:12 PM »
A good old fashioned winger, Ronnie wearing the number 7, Dave Partridge, wearing number 11. Part of a very attack minded team, you could see why he was nicknamed "streaky". RIP Ronnie.

jackdaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 04:01:10 PM »
Put one past me October 5th 1963 when playing for Deal Town. KL won 3-0 other scorer Watkin 2

Commiserations
John Ward
(jackdaw)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 04:29:08 PM »

I recall Ronnie decorating and wallpapering my parents house when I was young and also remember him playing for Kings Lynn.

Same here.

:scarf:
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

A47 Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 05:52:32 PM »
 I was sorry to here sad news about Ronnie Bacon. He came in the summer of 61/62 season to be part
of the cup team that season. An old fashoned winger pace and good shot. Two memories of that shoutn
was a Everton, twice within minutes late in the second half, he had Gordon West the Everton goalkeeper
 make two great save from out on wing, and then Boxing day I believe 64/65 season v Corby the score
5-1 to he scored a geat shot right on the by line. But just to see his wing play was enough for me on the
side where may stand is. The opening of the flood lights v Cambridge city was another night that stands
out me for Ronnie.

RIP Ronnie.

Chilvers Gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 08:29:45 PM »
One of the legends of the KLFC in the 60's. Often bumped into Ronnie at Whites newsagents getting his daily newspaper but not seen him lately although i only live 150 yards from his home.
R.I.P Ronnie and thanks for those for me early days memories.
Sincere condolences to his family.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 08:33:56 PM »
Sad news.  I had no connection, but I remember him in a good side.  Rose-coloured spectacles tell me the team was better in those days, but prob not true.  However, in case these names mean something good for his daughter - and I donít think Iíve muddled up eras, I recall this team, and the waft of my loved(at the time) Embassy Filters in the night air,( before I discovered they were poison!),   Walls; Proverbs, Baker; Williamson, Bone, Wright; Bacon, Edwards, Watkin or Donovan, King, Partridge....

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 10:28:36 AM »
R.I.P Ronnie. Very sad news but so many happy memories.

Colin Fuller

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 12:41:45 PM »
Good memories of Ronnie streaking down the right wing in my early days of watching Lynn. Typical winger of his day with speed, accurate crossing and prepared to go past the full-back.  He also had a powerful shot and I think he was penalty taker for a time.  I vividly remember him blasting a shot against Cheltenham which pole-axed the full-back who caught it flush on the forehead. The player in question was Tony Haskins, who later joined Lynn under Reg Davies. Ronnie also played for Norwich and joined Lynn from Gillingham. RIP Ronnie Bacon, Lynn legend.

A47 Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 02:21:03 PM »
Dillydilly yes that was a good side, I only watch that under the lights as I was Playing by
then on Sats. The team I would Like to remember Ronnie by is as folllows: Manning, Mackey,
Wilson, Dunne, Hindle, Sanchez, Bacon, Lumley, Dixon, Wright, Sharpe and twelth man, no subs
then, Chilleystone, must not forget Len Richley.

Blueboy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 06:28:55 PM »
Sad news, sure it was only last year I saw him in the Napier. Confolences to his family  RIP Ronnie.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2020, 10:18:55 PM »
Yes A47Linnet - I remember that team as well......  Sanchez, Lumley, etc.  Great tackler, Sanchez, and I liked Bobby Lumleyís clever turns etc..  Do you remember Verdi Godwin ? - and what team mates were his ?