Author Topic: Old Chestnut  (Read 14882 times)

Mallard

• View Profile
Old Chestnut
« on: March 31, 2016, 10:05:42 AM »
GATES.

Why is it Lynn can only pull in 350 for a home game these days ?  There must be reasons for this.  We have a Local Owner, a Local (General) manager, Local Coaching Staff and a Local team Team, all of which some have been wishing for.  There is natural progression from U18's to Reserve team to First team. The Squads are all Young and improving, No Big Money being thrown about.  The First team has been up challenging for a play off place.  The Club has a fantastic facility at The Walks, No Debts, peppercorn rent to pay.

To me so many things now the club has going for it, yet the people wont come.  Ok Lets have some serious suggestions as to why.  Once The problem can be identified then the soloution should be much easier to find.

Be interesting to hear from the people from within the Club who post on here, Like Tazzy, Backie New Recruit etc, and get their  Views on the issues.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Dennis Stone

• View Profile
Re: Old Chestnut
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 11:51:25 AM »
Just a thought on the gates. How many of the 100 or so cars that used to park in St. James' car park are still coming to the matches and how many find it a struggle to walk from the car parks in Lynn. We all know we have a hard core of more mature supporters and some would find it difficult to get to the ground and others just wouldn't bother. I wonder if there are any stats to back this idea up?

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 11:57:56 AM »
It's a possibility Dennis, that car park (both in front and behind the building) were full most match days, where are all those people parking now?

I thought the club was working towards a solution with St James on this so that we could use it on match days. For midweek evening games and Saturday afternoons I doubt there is much demand for the car park beyond football fans.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 12:02:01 PM »
Reading Setch's rant in the Lynn News, you have to feel for the guy.  He is working his Conkers off putting out a Young, Local hardworking team and all for what ? gates of 350.  Chapman must be wondering if the Club can afford a Full Time General manager on those kind of gates.  If he decides we cant, then where as a club do we go.  Everything seems to be in place for the Future, all except one thing.  The fan base.  Whats Not to like ?   Unless it is the owner himself people have a problem with ?  Cant be Setch or the Players and the foundations they have put in place.

Mystery 

somerset linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 12:24:23 PM »
Unfortunately in my opinion there are several  things that are affecting gates of many clubs, not only in our league. When I was a boy in Lynn the first  thing we did in the evening was to be in the street using the lamp-post as a goal. Today's children come home from school or college and are straight on to their ipads, tablets pcs etc. If they wish to see football, families can see virtually wall to wall games on TV in the comfort of the home most days of the week. This problem IMO opinion  is a sign of the times. The bottom 6 clubs in the Evo S&W league which is 1 step below us are all having to survive on gates of less than 100. It seems that if a team is not there or there abouts during the season interest wanes as the season goes on. I do believe that the Linnets have taken the right approach by starting to bring on local talent, this will hopefully spread the interest between the families and gradually spread through the community as a whole. As a linnets fan I sincerely that the club will progress in all forms, this may take a while but I do believe they are doing the right thing, we have to be patient. Rome was not built in a day. Good luck to all concerned.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 12:33:40 PM »
There are numerous reasons

TV football saturation
An increasing number will only support a winning team
Other leisure options
Although very different to last year the season has still tailed off
The Chapman factor

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 01:03:00 PM »
Seemingly the ultimate defining factor of gates is league position and/or interest generated around a cup run.
Gates held up because for our first three years of existence we had a team never out of the top six positions in its respective league, decent runs in the Vase, Trophy and FA Cup.

The general excuses for the stay away fans may have shifted from the standard of football at UCL level to the lack of local players. The only constant has been the hostility towards Buster which is in my opinion laughable when the club is in considerably better financial health than it was under the last owners of KLFC.

Losing critical fixtures at critical times this season has no doubt hit us both on and off the pitch. The Hungerford game for example, all the promotional work done ended up coming to nothing, and all the players could do was watch on while results that day (and the following Tuesday when we also didn't play) moved us three or four places down the table. It was a case of what might had been if we had played, and won that day, as the momentum would have then moved on to the Dorchester game which would then doubtlessly also seen an inflated gate.

The loss of Monday's fixture has also no doubt had a crippling effect on finances. I did think that the swift turnaround of the fixture (and the school holiday) would have helped to hold the gate up a bit, but no.

Perhaps some of our fans were spoilt by the results over the first three seasons? We lost only four home league games in the first three years of existence, had some big wins and two promotions.

So where does the club go now?
Engaging with the community has to be an ongoing project that may take years. The recent partnership agreement together with attracting younger players to join development teams is a huge step, the bigger challenge is keeping the fans interested. Perhaps over the summer an opportunity for an open day is there to see if we can attract more families to come and see what the club is about? Answers on a postcard I guess?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 02:45:35 PM »
Robbo You have made some valid points, and I bow to your superior knowledge with regard to financial health of the Club.  I seem to remember we were told by the last owners that there was nothing to worry about and everything was in order, Until it wasn't, so to speak.   It is good that Buster is allowing the fans, like yourself to keep a track on how the club finances are looking.  Although I must admit to being somewhat surprised that you are permitted this kind of information.  Will the Club have made a  profit this season ?

The one thing that appears to have come out today is that Setch is not best pleased with the number of Lynn fans coming through the gate.  Yet you look at the part timers who are running the Reserves ( all local's there as well) and they appear to have got their marketing plan spot on.  I have no idea on figures but I would suggest their gates have increased. 

Robbo You are right about all the effort put in for the Hungerford game, only to see it washed away, but is it really enough to just put that effort in for the odd game or should there not be something/one in place to do that every home game ?

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 03:04:22 PM »
Ok, so no I don't have access to financial information, but I have clearly missed the point on why everybody is so anti-Chapman all the time. As a club it is obvious we are 'cutting our cloth' a lot more sensibly with regards to players than under the last regime. It is Setchell himself who has said in interviews that all the bills are getting paid, and as General Manager he is clearly in the know and I for one have no reason to doubt what he says.

I think the appointment of Setch as GM could have been made sooner but is better late than never. With regards to effort around pushing games it has to start somewhere; to me Hungerford was the perfect opportunity as we had our respective league position to back up the campaign rather than "Come to The Walks this weekend" on repeat twenty times a season. Yes we still need to be doing more (updating the signage outside the ground would be a start); but we are heading in the right direction.

What else has come out in the interview is about those getting on the players backs too quickly, and too often. Yes our second half display lacked the intensity of the first, but to be booed off at the end was over the top.

Backie9

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 03:59:04 PM »
Hurt to hear there was boos and I know the gaffa wont mind me saying he is down in the dumps after last night, I am not in a position to criticise the supporters from booing but I do find it very strange, the club as whole has gone through some decent changes this season and we have tried to get involved with the community, I know we are still miles off but some foundations have been laid and further new exciting things are hopefully going to happen in the next few months. Its been exciting to see so many of the local lads come through into the first team and reserves and I was lucky enough to take charge of the under 18s last night, we have some very good lads coming through the likes of Jacob White, Jamie Burgess, Keiron Shipp and the form of young Danny in the reserve's has been excellent. I don't mind admitting I wake up every day and think how lucky I am to be involved in my home town club and wish some of the supporters would come back as they would see a honest load of lads with a honest hard working manager and assistant. we have definitely improved the media side and yet again I know its not perfect but this time last season we use to have 300 hits a week on the official website and we have over 2000 so things are improving. I could list a number of things that are wrong and why the supporters have stayed away but it will be the same things that most non league clubs are experiencing.
I hope I have put my point across and hope everyone backs the boys and the management team for the rest of the season as I know the majority do, i personally think they have done really well and have set a platform to improve further.
hope to see you all at our big game on Saturday when we entertain Yarmouth who have just won 8 games on the bounce.
Up the Linnets
Backie x   

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 04:10:28 PM »
I agree Robbo.  What do the  fans expect ?  Has the bar been raised that high already ?   I can understand it, to a degree if fans were unhappy with big time Charlie's rocking up at The Walks, putting in little to no effort, collect their wages and disappearing off to whichever part of the country they came from ( ala last season).  This is different, this is local boys who have, in some cases,  taken a massive step up in class to play at this level. It has got to be remembered these lads will make mistakes, they will have dips in form, they will have off nights, but the fans are seeing the Blueprint for the future, and it is happening before their very eyes.

As for the marketing. There has to be a plan, a formula  something that gets the man in street talking about and looking forward to the next game at The Walks.  These days it is no longer enough to just open the gates and expect people to flow through them.  Look at the marketing that comes out of Carrow Road, on a daily basis.  Pages of total **** every day in The EDP, but it gets the message out there.   For last nights game at The Walks, the build up to it was flat, seemed to be a total lack of interest in it from inside the Club.  I would suspect that many people didn't even know there was a game on.

Backie, You have brought a certain freshness to the Club and I would suggest the increase in the gates for Reserve Team Football is in the main down to yourself and your hard working soldiers like  Mr Tazzy.   next year when you are all part of one big family let's hope some of it rubs off higher up the chain.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 04:34:57 PM »
Spot on Mallard. That is the big difference between last season and this. Last season only a couple of the players seemed to show any signs of disappointment as they left the pitch after a defeat, some would even be laughing and joking with each other as they left the pitch. The body language of our players trudging off after the defeat at Chesham showed me that the result (and maybe the collective performance too) had hurt every single one of them.

There are some harsh realities at this level, and the one we have been guilty of too many times this season is not taking chances while we are on top in games. After a largely encouraging start to 2016, it is that very failure which has contributed hugely to our form of one win over the last five games. St. Neots and Dorchester in particular both should have been put to bed long before they scored goals that stole points.

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 04:52:38 PM »
I must be old school were I support my team though thick and thin but to boo the lads off is beyond my comprehension and absolutely disgusting behaviour

little John

• A LYNN BOI/ BOR/ BUH.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 05:46:58 PM »
Maybe I just went to the wrong games this season but I just see an average team.Some of you might be happy with a top 10 finish, I want a bit more ambition than that.