Author Topic: Street departs  (Read 1048 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
Street departs
« on: October 30, 2020, 11:16:13 AM »
From Home page:

Linnets 'keeper Alex Street has left King's Lynn Town after finding himself second choice to the on-loan Archie Mair.
The 29 year old joined the club when it reformed in 2010 and although not always forst choice 'keeper in the early years he persevered and went on to make 466 appearances for the Linnets, keeping 139 clean sheets, picking up the Southern League Golden Glove Award for the most clean sheets in season 2018-19.
Archie Mair's league debut in the 5-0 defeat against Solihull ended Street's run of first choice for league games that started on 19th March 2017, and lasted 129 league games.
He leaves The Walks with the record of having made the most appearances for a Lynn goal-keeper, beating Billy Bedwell's record of 378 that was set in the period 1922-33.

The biggest (or maybe the 2nd biggest) loss to the Club since its been reformed.

I've not seen anything in our new signing to justify this, but then again I'm just a supporter and not the Manager.

So what happens if City call Mair back, or when he's on international duty?

Bastock, or have we got one coming in?
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
Re: Street departs
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 11:20:35 AM »
Will be missed, Alex has improved as a 'keeper over the years, and has many good years ahead of him.
Good luck wherever you end up Pedro.
Should still be our number one, IMO.

Badger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 11:31:16 AM »
I don't think for one minute that anyone in the club would have wanted this as it leaves us with no cover if Mair is injured or called up for International Duty.    It is a huge blow but I don't blame Street for wanting regular football and he has decided to leave the club, I would suspect it is his choice alone.  Good luck to him and best wishes for the future.

Badger  :oldman"

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 11:41:45 AM »
The mystery to me is, why was he the "second choice" keeper?   :dontknow:

Lynn News report:

https://www.lynnnews.co.uk/sport/goalkeeper-alex-street-leaves-kings-lynn-town-9128365/
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 11:57:28 AM »

Lynn News report:

https://www.lynnnews.co.uk/sport/goalkeeper-alex-street-leaves-kings-lynn-town-9128365/

The only reason I can think of, is because Norwich said he was. Very disappointed by this. I wonder if there had been crowds in this season, whether IC might have changed his mind about benching Pedro after a good start.

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 12:15:21 PM »

Lynn News report:

Would have been a stipulation in the loan, that Mair is number 1. Proper short sighted from Lynn this. Mair will not be the difference to if they go up/remain or even remain/go down. When he goes back to Norwich, Lynn will now have to pay a huge premium to bring in a goalkeeper who's as good as Pedro because there's not one local.

I'd suspect P'Boro Sports, Bedford and even Boston will be at head of queue to trying to get him.

Chilvers Gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 12:19:03 PM »
I don't think for one minute that anyone in the club would have wanted this as it leaves us with no cover if Mair is injured or called up for International Duty.    It is a huge blow but I don't blame Street for wanting regular football and he has decided to leave the club, I would suspect it is his choice alone.  Good luck to him and best wishes for the future.

Badger  :oldman"
NOT anyone in the club wanted this? It was the clubs decision NOT Pedro's. Told that he would not be on the bench for the cancelled FA cup game, also again on tuesday night.
Stayed loyal to King's Lynn to be there record goalkeeper appearances but discarded in the way he was.
And yes it was MY cryptic meesages over the past couple of weeks as i already new.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 12:35:28 PM »
Mair is one of two keepers named in the Scotland U19s' squad for the UEFA U19 Championship with games on 11th, 14th and 17th November.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 12:47:41 PM »
Street has gone from, arguably the no 1 Keeper in the NLN to not even being the number one keeper at Kings Lynn.

No doubting that Archie Mair is a quality keeper, but we will
Be a stepping stone in his career while Pedro could have been at the Club well into his 30ís.

Managerís are paid to make decisions.   If we end up back in the NLN next with no Mair and no Street, will it look that wise a decision ?

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 01:19:19 PM »

No doubting that Archie Mair is a quality keeper.....

I'd change that to will be rather than is for the time being.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 01:40:57 PM »
Street has gone from, arguably the no 1 Keeper in the NLN to not even being the number one keeper at Kings Lynn.

I wouldn't agree with that at all, Alex was a 'good' NLN keeper and with him being local I was surprised when IC took Mair on loan but from that point onwards this always looked on the cards.  Agree with points made above re international call ups / next season but lets see what IC does as and when the situation arises.

Wish Alex all the best and hopefully neither party has burned any bridges for the future

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 01:55:14 PM »
Well, not at all surprised he has left.
IMO his  point blank saves and reading of the game behind the centre halves, often rushing out to make up for the lack of pace in front of him, were as important in the last 2 years as Marriott's goals.
I feel he has been treated really poorly and only natural that he should go.
It's a huge faux pas by the club......I personally think he would have been more valuable over the coming season than the two Norwich loanees combined....Mair maybe a great shot stopper, but Pedro has years of experience.
He leaves having played in the matches where we have gained the 4 points. Without him its played 4, points ZERO.
Hope Bastock is doing his circuits in readiness !!!

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2020, 02:55:39 PM »

I wouldn't agree with that at all, Alex was a 'good' NLN keeper and with him being local I was surprised when IC took Mair on loan but from that point onwards this always looked on the cards.  Agree with points made above re international call ups / next season but lets see what IC does as and when the situation arises.

Wish Alex all the best and hopefully neither party has burned any bridges for the future

All about opinions Tony...I am with Mall, one of the very best if not best inNLN.
We will see how it unfolds very quickly as Mair has been called up for 3 Scotland U19 games in just over a week's time.

Nigel nigle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 03:08:44 PM »
Alex had improved significantly last season and without a doubt was at his peak - with the helps and coaching of Bastock I am sure. It is a real shame to see him leave as i think he would have not been out of his depth at this level and didn't have a chance to prove it. Wish him well for the future.

IC has a big job sorting out our defence in the near future as at the moment we look so vulnerable from any pace and when you make a mistake at this level you are punished.

Thanks for everything Pedro!

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2020, 03:15:50 PM »
Have to say as well,  it can't now be easy to get someone in with quality and experience as a number 2 to a 19yr old loanee keeper.......do Norwich have a17/18 yr old keeper we could get in :laughcry: