Author Topic: Port Vale - FA Cup  (Read 2304 times)

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
Port Vale - FA Cup
« on: November 05, 2020, 11:05:10 AM »
How is Ian Culverhouse going to approach this game against Port Vale  :dontknow:

Will he treat it as a "Training Session" and ring the changes in formations as the game progresses without really hoping any result? Or will he go defensive and try to grab victory with a goal on-the-break?

Who have we got fit? Aaron Jones?

I think we need to go 4-4-2 or 4-1-3-2. Pointless playing 1 up front.

Views?
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

KES80

• View Profile
Re: Port Vale - FA Cup
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 11:37:12 AM »
By being in the NL, Lynn get a great leg up in the FA Cup, entering 2 rounds later than last year....then they get a bye to the next round. Think it has to be a case of play our strongest side and hope somehow to forge a win....the money on offer and the opportunity to progress further seems too much to not take seriously.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 01:35:36 PM »
I think this season has to be all about the league - income has to be a secondary concern and we are already 'up' on the cup income after the bye vs Notts County so with 34 more important games this season I would rest as many as was realistic.  Basically take a first 11 with the reserves filling the bench and give a rest to Richards, Clunan, Marriott, Carey and one of McAuley/Lupano so something like, which would at least give the front three more match time and give a chance of catching Port Vale on the break.

Mair
Flemming, Smith, Lupano (if Hull allow it), Brown
             Kelly, Jarvis, Barker (if P'boro allow it)
                Power, Loza
                 Southwell

Might be different in any other season but with minimal income from cup games (unless you get a tv match) and looking at how the league is panning out our focus has to be getting points on the board.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 05:50:31 PM »
Don't really see the logic behind taking anything other than the strongest squad Tony. Really important to develop a system that works and to get the relatively new additions to gel.......the next game is Sutton on the 14th, so match time is important. Resting players, most of whom have only had 4/5 outings doesn't make a lot of sense.....we need to develop a consistent pattern of play and get some momentum going

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 08:48:57 AM »
Lets play our strongest team. If we weaken it in any way and we get stuffed it not good for the moral of the team. Its games like this when this lock down really hurts, I'm one of the old school,went to Everton with my Dad, lost 4-0,  went to Southend, lost 9-0, Bristol Rovers, lost 2-1, Rotherham, lost 6-0,  but what great days. We would have taken hundreds to Port Vale.    Come on Lynn, cheer us all up!

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 01:36:45 PM »
Don't really see the logic behind taking anything other than the strongest squad Tony. Really important to develop a system that works and to get the relatively new additions to gel.......the next game is Sutton on the 14th, so match time is important. Resting players, most of whom have only had 4/5 outings doesn't make a lot of sense.....we need to develop a consistent pattern of play and get some momentum going

Appreciate the point and would love to see us develop a system that works at step 1 (still very much work in progress) but I personally would rather not risk some of the men that will be key to that system, for example Richards has played and 'put in a shift' in every game this season so if Peterborough would allow it I would rather Barker took his place in this game. 

Mac, I think this season is a 'one-off' and if we were taking hundreds to Port Vale then I might think differently but retaining step 1 has to be the first (and maybe only) thing this season.  I am too young to have gone to Everton but Mum and Dad did and I went to Rotherham and funnily enough I think my only trip to Port Vale was in the cup to watch Norwich

Dilligaf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 01:51:16 PM »
I understand the logic behind some of the reasoning....but personally I dont go along with this "resting" players fad...and if IC is really in a position to have to "rest" players after 7 games....then hes got a long long season (if it goes the full distance) ahead of him and his players... :dontknow:

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 02:03:13 PM »
Another thing to take into account is the disappointment the players in question would feel if left out and missed the chance of playing at Port Vale.   :dontknow:

Culverhouse in LN's:

The day is about going to a Football League club, a lovely stadium and trying to compete with them.

The Lynn boss has never coached or managed a team at Port Vale but came up against the Valiants as a player with Brighton. And he believes it is a chance for his players to shine on a big stage.

Its a big old pitch and a big stadium, it has got to get your juices flowing as a player, he admitted.

I know when we went to Telford in the league last season, the players looked at the surroundings and the stadium and thought well have some of this and delivered a massive performance on the pitch.

We are now playing at stadiums that we would never have dreamed of two years ago.........."
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Ap

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 05:05:00 PM »
Lets play our strongest team. If we weaken it in any way and we get stuffed it not good for the moral of the team. Its games like this when this lock down really hurts, I'm one of the old school,went to Everton with my Dad, lost 4-0,  went to Southend, lost 9-0, Bristol Rovers, lost 2-1, Rotherham, lost 6-0,  but what great days. We would have taken hundreds to Port Vale.    Come on Lynn, cheer us all up!

YouTube clip of that Bristol Rovers game.

The last time we scored a goal against a Football League side, 36 years ago. Let's hope that changes tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/jRaRd8_4qkc

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 05:30:22 PM »
Think its important to give a good account of ourselves.   Confidence must have been fragile after the two heavy defeats ( Solihull & Boreham Wood) followed by two further defeats when we might have expected to get something.   Turned it back around again last week. So see it important not to end up on the back of a bad one.   Need the confidence of a decent performance to take us forward in the League.

As a matter of interest does the team travel together on a coach with just coaching staff or do others outside of that bubble also travel on the coach ?

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 06:29:27 PM »

As a matter of interest does the team travel together on a coach with just coaching staff or do others outside of that bubble also travel on the coach ?

Apparently the Squad is still travelling via Coach. I really can't see IC allowing anyone other than Squad and Coaching staff on Coach. Accident waiting to happen if they did.

IC has been around long enough and is  professional enough to ensure his squads safety, even if some others may not be.

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 08:12:42 PM »
Think its important to give a good account of ourselves.   Confidence must have been fragile after the two heavy defeats ( Solihull & Boreham Wood) followed by two further defeats when we might have expected to get something.   Turned it back around again last week. So see it important not to end up on the back of a bad one.   Need the confidence of a decent performance to take us forward in the League.

Would be totally irresponsible if "outsiders" were allowed, given the infection rates in Lynn at the moment.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2020, 04:53:05 PM »
Well done to the team on yesterdays result.  IC managed to get the best of both worlds - limited exposure for our two main attacking threats and then introduced them with 20 mintues left to combine for the winner.  Would still like us to 'concentrate on the league' but hopefully the momentum KES was hoping for will have received a boost and can carry through into the next couple of league fixtures. 

As for tomorrows draw I guess SC is either hoping for a big name to produce a live TV bonus or a 'winnable' tie to then host Chelsea at the Walks in the 3rd round? 

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2020, 06:17:17 PM »
As I understand it those Clubs at Step 3 and below who are still in the FA Cup are now not allowed to train ( as a group) or play any games until the 2nd round.

Maybe we would fancy one of those ?