Author Topic: Tough day........  (Read 2327 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Enjoying my 5 minutes of Fame. 😂
    • View Profile
Tough day........
« on: November 14, 2020, 04:51:37 PM »
...........as The Linnets lose 5-1 away to Sutton United.
If Judas took 30 pieces of silver, would he donate it to the club?

pc627

• View Profile
Re: Tough day........
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 05:00:09 PM »
These results will happen this year, as long as we finish no less than 4th from bottom I for one will be over the moon.

Spreston7

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 05:08:11 PM »
Agreed, Sutton are a well funded and experienced national league team whom im sure will be in the play offs. Time for Mr Cleeve to use that £84,000 per month grant on the budget

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 05:24:00 PM »
We are a ‘pretty’ side in a tough League.    We seem to a soft touch at this level.   Too nice maybe which is reflective of our Manager.    IC believes in playing a certain way.   Let’s hope that certain way is good enough to win the mini league battle at the bottom.   It seems against teams at the top
It’s all about damage limitation.

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 05:24:05 PM »
We played really well against port vale.
Surely we must learn from that?
Looked much better defensively, and scored on the break. That's how we have to play every away game.
Trying to play out from the back, we were getting closed down far too easily.
We have to just clear the ball sometimes.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 05:55:49 PM »
Battled really hard, but just ran out of steam as time went on...against men training full time......similar pattern to Solihull.
Agree with Jesus, away from home against the top7/8, it has to be defend like lions, clear the lines quickly and look to hit sides on the break with the pace in the side.
I am hoping McFadden will be part of the missing link...a strong, fast no nonsense tackler who is good with the ball at his feet and can find the pacey men.
Lynn are a small side ......the likes of Gash or Mitchell are going to find it hard to hold the ball up in this league, when they are the only forwards in the side with both real strength and height so it will be difficult to mirror the pattern of play that got us two promotions.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 06:05:24 PM »
Not sure that loading balls to clear the lines is the answer if the likes of Gash and Mitchell are then not able to hold it up for us as surely it’s going to come straight back at us ?

Be interesting to hear In interview what IC is proposing to halt these thrashings.   The odd one maybe it just about acceptable but that’s the 3rd already this season.   Who was it that said Who said insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results?

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 06:32:10 PM »
Apparently Mair was MOM again,doesn't say much for the rest of them? :dontknow:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Nigel nigle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 06:36:16 PM »
I am trying to think where all of their goals came from, the streaming was very poor, I didn't see Southwell had scored until the ball was in the back of the net. The first should have been cut out on the left before it came in to the area, two were from corners. We just look so open at the back and when we try to pass it around at the back it is just not quick enough.

Teams certainly seem to attack the left hand side of the defence with ease

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Enjoying my 5 minutes of Fame. 😂
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 06:44:27 PM »
............ away from home against the top7/8, it has to be defend like lions, clear the lines quickly and look to hit sides on the break with the pace in the side.

I wouldn't disagree with the concept, but we still have to have the players capable of doing this. So imo, the Jury is out on this one with regard to it working.

I am hoping McFadden will be part of the missing link...a strong, fast no nonsense tackler who is good with the ball at his feet and can find the pacey men.

A lot expected of this young man and a lot resting on his shoulders. Money's on him being well up to the challenge. If he can keep his head together, I'm sure we will be more than pleased with the signing.

.............the likes of Gash or Mitchell are going to find it hard to hold the ball up in this league, when they are the only forwards in the side with both real strength and height so it will be difficult to mirror the pattern of play that got us two promotions.

Yes, about sums it up!

:scarf:
If Judas took 30 pieces of silver, would he donate it to the club?

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 02:10:59 PM »
The team sheet looked a worry before the game.  We had Clunan and Jarvis in midfield, which meant if they had any slippery players, we would spend the game trying to break up their forward movements.  If they had any tricky players, and who were quick after they’d beaten a man, we would a) not stop them, and b) not create anything goung forward.  All these teams are beating us by having players, several, who are a mixture of slick, tricky, slippery and nippy !!  Big centre-halves won’t help - we have to spend more time up their end, if you’ll pardon the expression !  All IMHO !  Obviously we all wear different football spectacles !

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 02:43:20 PM »
When you have strong, tall, fast players rampaging forward with the ball Dilly over the course of a long 90 minutes you have to have some means of stopping them and winning the ball back, before your slippery nipsters can go up the other end. Your slippery nipsters wont get within 2 feet of these players...they will just hold them off.
Since we are not currently in a position to recruit, faster, stronger, nippier players than the opposition, being as we are, part time, less affluent than many and a bit out on a limb geographically and new to this league......we have to find ways to compete.
IMHO you are seriously underplaying the importance of physical toning and full time training in your arguments.....but  I love reading your comments tho, nonetheless.

Spreston7

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 03:10:09 PM »
Dilly, do you only watch highlights of football matches or don’t you understand that to counter act these so called slippery players you need players to sit in and break them down. Like Sutton do in beautyman and Davis and like all good teams do. If we played without the likes of Jarvis, clunan and Richards we would get massively overloaded in the middle. I think you’re views are more suited to basketball or a video game

Nigel1505

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 03:27:34 PM »
I haven't posted on here for months, because I'm far away from the action and just been interested to see what the locals have to say. I've followed every game, watched where possible, listened when possible. As an ex Lynn "boy" 1950's on, it seems that opinions vary as to where we are at the moment with regard to our league position.  The last couple of seasons we have done "good", in modern parlance.  I'n Mr. Culverhouse, we have a manager who, has been there, done that and got the teeshirt. This season we have come against full-time teams who, look down the table, in my day where full-time league teams, Notts County, Chesterfield, Aldershot, Yeovil, Chester, et all. I'n the mix these teams have a pedigree of being in the professional game. They have the nous to nullify players who are not quite up to the standard of this league. Lynn are going through this period, if we can come through this and pick up a point or two in games and survive until next season then we will be the stronger next year. We just need one or two lads who know what's what to shore up the defence. These teams have been in the league, they know the way to goal and will find weaknesses in defences. Trust in IC and Mr Cleeve, I think he's the most important Guv we have had in my time.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2020, 05:45:15 PM »
Dilly, do you only watch highlights of football matches or don’t you understand that to counter act these so called slippery players you need players to sit in and break them down. Like Sutton do in beautyman and Davis and like all good teams do. If we played without the likes of Jarvis, clunan and Richards we would get massively overloaded in the middle. I think you’re views are more suited to basketball or a video game

S Preston - I believe all this “sitting in, “holding” etc are made up by pundits earning a fortune by making out there are deep tactics going on !  We had people “sitting in”, and “ breaking up” yesterday; they just ran round them and scored five, as did Solihull and Boreham Wood.  Whike we have people just sitting, the opponents have more opportunities for “just playing” !  No matter - all good banter !  We have to get them back-pedalling, not just us.  I do agree that full-timers have a fitness advantage, of course.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal