Author Topic: Season so far  (Read 666 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Season so far
« on: December 09, 2020, 01:49:05 PM »
Now we are more than a quarter through the season and the National League is looking as tough (if not tougher) than many of us thought.  I still don't think IC has found a system that allows us to be competitive in enough games and looking at last nights selection the starting players were all here last season apart from Mair (Pedro debate has been had), Brown (quicker than Fox but still not convinced he is a better defender), Fleming (would have been McAuley if fit) and McFadden.  This to me raises a question about the recruitment over the summer and if it really added additional quality or just more players of a similar standard or who don't fit the IC's preferred system?

With the league leaders in town on Saturday and then two games against Notts County sandwiched either side of Chesterfield, who have found some form with a managerial switch, it doesn't look like the next month will be any easier.  IC continues to talk about 'men' in post match interviews so maybe getting in younger loan players isn't the route (lad from Peterborough didn't get much of an opportunity) so are we able to alter the squad and bring in a bit more leadership / experience call it what you like that will help us to compete at this level?  I think most of the players are capable of holding their own at step 1 so it isn't a case of wholesale changes but I do think we need to be looking to swap in a couple of new faces.

gs50

• View Profile
Re: Season so far
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 02:28:22 PM »
Has Kelly left doesn't seem to be in squad lately.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 02:43:17 PM »
It was interesting to listen to Skipper Clunan last night talking of the huge difference in standard between  the League last season and this season.   

Could he argued that Altrincham have adjusted far better than us or have the recruited well.   Not sure where  they stand in terms of budget or if they are full time.   Whatever it is they sit a healthy 8th at the moment.

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 07:37:27 PM »
I still think the squad we have is good enough to keep us up, and thatís all the matters this season.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 10:26:50 PM »
Yep with you on that one.   Squad is good enough.  Looking ahead Halifax at home looks an important day.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 10:36:05 PM »
I'm not 100% convinced we are. Could be just, but yes, all that matters is staying up and in these troubled times, the Club surviving to fight another day.
Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal