Author Topic: Torquay  (Read 2618 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Re: Torquay
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 01:44:46 PM »
Totally agree that IC has been searching for the right combination and it would be great if we could have a settled side that, in turn, was capable of getting us to mid-table safety.  Lots of positives to come out of the Torquay game but not sure I would stick with the formation/personnel but appreciate others would have a different point of view.

For me the positives were (in no particular order) - Jones back which shored up one full back slot and Barrows did a good job at left back and with both centre-halves having good games and attacking the ball, which hasn't always been the case this season, we had a pretty solid back four, both wingers had their moments and created opportunities, Southwell ran his socks off and Gash brought others into play as, it appears, only he is capable of.  Perhaps the one single factor was all eleven 'put in a shift', whether that was down to fans being back, a rocket from IC or just the 'learning' that IC keeps referring to has finally sunk in who knows but that will now set the standard for the rest of the season, irrespective of personnel.

That said Torquay were pretty one-dimensional and never really tried to play through the midfield (open debate about how much that was due to our pressure, the conditions or just them having an 'off day') and didn't take the chances they created (again good work by Mair).  I can't see Notts County playing the same way in either fixture and Chesterfield are on a hell of a run since the appointment of their new manager so whatever side we put out over the next three league games we will be up against it.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 03:24:00 PM »
If we pick a versatile selection, TonyM, we can make THEM find they are up against it.  If we play a defensive line-up, we will be under the cosh, IMHO.  Surprised Notts Country arenít higher, as they looked very good in the snatches Iíve seen, particularly the attack and their offensive midfield.  We have to make then defend, not attack so often.....

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 03:40:51 PM »
Listening to Bastockís post match interview, he was saying it wasnít possible to play their normal game Ďon thatí ( the pitch).  So I donít know how much we can read into that performance as if we could play a passing game on it then neither could Torquay.  So became a different type of game for the both teams and maybe was a little bit of a leveller.

Having Gash back to get us up the pitch was a big plus and it could be suggested that Adam Marriott is not the same player without his partner of last season.  Interesting also that we looked much tighter on the left hand side with Barrows replacing Brown.   Could be both full backs playing as full back gives  the two wide players license to go and attack more and not worry so much about defensive duties.

I wonder,  on a decent surface how much Jarv and Richards would get exposed.  Still
Think IC will go horses for courses in terms of personnel and systems.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal