Author Topic: Saturday’s Trophy game now on at Alfreton  (Read 4073 times)

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
Saturday’s Trophy game now on at Alfreton
« on: December 15, 2020, 04:29:17 PM »
Alfreton v Bedford off tonight... Covid

Re-arranged for Saturday

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Assume nothing, question everything.
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday’s Trophy game now on at Alfreton
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 05:10:38 PM »
Surely Setch would be prepared to concede the game, allowing us to play Alfreton on Saturday.
"We're going to need a bigger boat".

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 05:20:11 PM »
Has anyone any idea of what the 'rules' regarding what happens when there is a COVID incident really are?  Every club / competition / league seems to have a different outcome to a positive case (can see why some Notts County fans still feel a little aggrieved).  Will this mean we will be on our travels midweek next week?

Update, just seen this from Blyth Spartans - having to withdraw due to a positive case (after dialogue with National League officials) http://www.blythspartans.com/club-statement-blyth-forfeit-fa-trophy-after-positive-covid-19-test/

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 06:14:40 PM »
I was under the impressions that the FA have to decide.

If there is an isolation period, I would guess that decision is more or less made for them.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 06:16:00 PM »
If the unfortunate Bedford player was in a position to train with the squad on the Saturday just gone, then  how can any of Bedford players be clear to play next Saturday ?

Can see our game being reinstated to go ahead at Alfreton next Saturday.   An early decision should be made to allow both Clubs to prepare for the game.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 07:18:13 PM »
Bedford players are isolating and being tested. Bedford are in touch with Public Health England and are awaiting COVID Test results to see if they can go ahead with Alfreton game on Saturday. No mention of liaison with KLTFC.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Attack is the Best Form of Defence. (It works for the Military which is also a Team.)

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 04:45:27 PM »
As this is a Trophy game and not apparently high on the list of priorities (which I understand).  What team would you go for ?   The team that did so well v Torquay or give some those who haven’t had much game time a full run out ? 

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 09:24:14 AM »
Pick the team that's best to win the game, simple. Quite a few good sides below already gone out, suspect more this weekend, and with Lynn showing against best in the league last weekend they can go toe to toe on a one off game, there's no reason to not think winning this trophy isn't viable if you get some luck along the way.

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 10:54:06 AM »
Pick the team that's best to win the game, simple. Quite a few good sides below already gone out, suspect more this weekend, and with Lynn showing against best in the league last weekend they can go toe to toe on a one off game, there's no reason to not think winning this trophy isn't viable if you get some luck along the way.

Agree. Looking at the league, it looks like we’re comfortably good enough to stay out of the bottom three, but not good enough to get into the playoffs this year.

With that being the case, the club should try and go as far in the Trophy as they can, putting out the best side possible. (Though having said that I’d rest Jarvis, as you seem to get the best out of him playing him every other game with his advancing years).

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 05:02:55 PM »

Agree. Looking at the league, it looks like we’re comfortably good enough to stay out of the bottom three, but not good enough to get into the playoffs this year.

With that being the case, the club should try and go as far in the Trophy as they can, putting out the best side possible. (Though having said that I’d rest Jarvis, as you seem to get the best out of him playing him every other game with his advancing years).

Agree with both of these - play the best team you can. Although league is priority there's no reason we can't have a decent run in the Trophy - all money coming in to the club helps!

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 05:31:20 PM »
Financial wise a cup run might not be a bad idea but with limited attendances brings limited financial gain.  This coming Saturday for example we will show a big - figure.

Just feel we need to give ourselves every chance to stay at this level.   With games. Likely to be called off through weather and Covid and with the late start to the season we will have a lot of games to cram in before the end of the season.  We will need all 20 members of the squad, so Saturday would be the idea opportunity to give those who have not had many run outs some valuable game time.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2020, 09:14:15 AM »
Yes the timing of this match is really awkward...we could do with another NL fixture this Saturday to build on the Torquay performance.
Away to Alfreton in the Trophy to my mind is a "no win" fixture...and that's no slight intended on Alfreton.
Lynn have little to gain from the fixture or the Trophy this season IMO...and it won't be an easy game...Alfreton are whole hearted, up and at em physical team who will give their all, even if they are struggling in the league currently.
Do we play the same side and look for consistency in selection or give others a run.
McAuley and Fleming could probably do with 90 minutes, and I would probably give Gash and Mitchell 45 each.

Given the gulf between the NL and the rest of non league football and the fact that Lynn are finding it tough to reach the required levels consistently, I personally would prefer as few games against lower league opposition( where we can take our feet off the pedal) as possible.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 11:17:34 AM »
A Ground where we have never won, and never lost.

:scarf:

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 01:43:18 PM »
...Looking at the league, it looks like we’re comfortably good enough to stay out of the bottom three, but not good enough to get into the playoffs this year...

Whilst that may be true, I tend to agree with SC in his commentary last weekend when he said something along the lines of - it doesn't matter how good you are it's points that decide whether you go down or not.

I am with those above who think the league is the only thing this season and until we can put some daylight between us and those below we will always be looking over our shoulder - just find the table from a month ago when Chesterfield swapped their manager and where we are now to see how quickly things can change.  I am not saying the same will be true for Barnet and Flowers and we should only worry about ourselves which for me means getting minutes at the weekend into as many of the squad that haven't featured much lately, Marriott for one certainly looks like he needs 90 minutes, I would also start McAuley (if fit) and Fleming but not sure I would be risking Gash unnecessarily.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 07:19:36 PM »
SC- there is a connection between how good you are, and how many points you accrue !  I think we did better against the league leaders because we picked a team that could play in both halves of the pitch, therefore simultaneously giving us more chance of making chances and winning, than them doing the same thing !  Sad about losing Loza, and worried about not playing King and Kelly.....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal