Author Topic: January to March Finance  (Read 2574 times)

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
Re: January to March Finance
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2020, 04:17:17 PM »
I would suggest there is an option on contracts that have been given with no break.  That being if the season has a fire break there is the furlough option until the end of April (?).    Also as contracts didnt kick in at Lynn until the first game was played I would not be surprised if our owner wasn’t cute enough to have a clause included that gives a payment break if the League is suspended or worst case scenario cancelled.

I can’t see how all these issues should be laid at the PFA’s door.  Club owners have to take charge on the running of their own business.  It’s a game of Football for 90 mins.  If at the end of the season a club finds themselves relegated.  So what ?  Is it that important in the swing of the things.  Surely being around next August. ( in just football terms) should be the be all, end all.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2020, 04:57:24 PM »
Mall, appreciate what you are saying but footballers contracts are not employment contracts that 'normal' businesses would deal with.  As an example, lets assume SC paid some sort of fee for Southwell when he signed (2 year deal?), he can only be placed on furlough with his agreement (as is the case for any employee) and if he doesn't agree the club have two options - pay him to contract or alter his pay (which may end up with a penalty from the league for breaking his contract) and risk him leaving for nothing.  That is my problem with the PFA - it is within their gift to allow player contracts to be amended in these uncertain time but they seem to be wanting to treat each club on a case by case basis which leaves clubs very exposed. 

It's all well and good saying clubs have to take responsibility for themselves, and I wouldn't disagree, but unless leagues and the PFA recognise that players wages might not be paid in full for the remainder of the season to enable clubs to be around next August then we are in a horrible game of who blinks first.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2020, 06:06:38 PM »
Under English contract law, if a contact is impossible to complete, then the contract can become void.

I wouldn’t think that would apply at the moment, but could be the case if season is abandoned.

i.e. players are under contract to play football but there’s no football to be played.

No fault of either party to the contract.

A “no fault” situation.
Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2020, 06:43:40 AM »
Tone, using the Southwell example.  Despite him signing a two year deal last Season, SC stayed that no players were being paid until the season kicked off.   So that would suggests contracts were ‘adjusted’ to take the unusual circumstances into account. 

All NL clubs didn’t receive their Gov bailout money until Oct, so that might suggest this no play no pay was wide spread.  The agreement made with players hopefully will also include that if a firebreak does come then Clubs have covered themselves.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 05:22:09 PM »
With the Chairman confirming the Club will receive a hefty insurance payout, if the season continues at least we will be less reliant on the Sport England loan.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal