Author Topic: The season  (Read 2364 times)

KES80

• View Profile
Re: The season
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 12:35:52 PM »
Think it will be more than a few weeks Mac.....I suspect 6-8 weeks minimum....and getting back to 'normal'.... hopefully late spring early Summer, if there are no further damaging mutations or set backs. If we lock down within the next 48 hrs and the league doesn't resume till the 1st March or later, I would think it makes sense to make this season null and void for the NL. Lynn have only played 13, Dover only 10, Championship and Premier League teams are much deeper into their seasons and so the top competitions may be able to play to a finish.
Better for the NL to call it off at this stage, when even Torquay can't claim they are destined for promotion, only 16 games in, than try and get teams to play 2/3 matches a week for 3 months in an attempt to finish the season.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 12:56:10 PM »
I am afraid you cannot govern people who delibrately go out of their way to break the rules. Look at the number of  fines issued last night.

Should spray them with dye and that would identify them as COVIDIOTS so people can avoid them.

Unfortunately the Government seems to have gone out of their way to avoid Naming and Shaming them and referring to them as "the significant minority who cannot follow the rules".
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Attack is the Best Form of Defence. (It works for the Military which is also a Team.)

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 01:51:16 PM »
There is a danger that Covid can scupper our season in the National League, with the call offs and trying to squeeze in the games , its starting to get silly, and I don't think the League is doing much to help us. Why the big hurry? Long treks away on Tuesday nights this time of year is unfair on a part time club which have players who have to work in the morning after.
The Covid outbreak is not getting better anytime soon. Halt the season for a few weeks, give everyone a chance to get vaccinated and restart when we know we are back to normal, and on the subject of government bailouts, as has been said on this post already, NO club should be allowed to sign more players while taking financial aid.       

Sorry Mac, but we shouldn't be treated any differently just because we have chosen to be part-time - we are at step 1 in the non-league pyramid and receive the government grants / tv money that comes with that and therefore also have to accept the commitments associated with it.  Appreciate that may well mean an additional burden on the players but that is what they signed up for at the start of the season and those that couldn't / didn't want to could have taken the same route as Henderson.

I think if the season is halted that will have to be it as there will be no way it can realistically be restarted, so the league has to either cut it's losses now or struggle on with probably more disruption in terms of individual clubs calling games off.  Guess much will depend on BT, what is written into players contracts in terms of the season ceasing early and the view around promotion / relegation to the EFL.  This latter point seemed to be the driver for carrying on last year and may well do so again this year but I still think step 2 should have been treated the same as step 3 and below last season and have seen nothing to change my mind since.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal