Author Topic: Is it time to call a halt ?  (Read 3799 times)

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
Is it time to call a halt ?
« on: January 11, 2021, 05:24:08 PM »
With the Country in the eye of the Covid storm and games at National League being cancelled left right centre, would it make sense to draw a line under this season or at the very least suspend Football at the only levels where non League Football is still being played. ?

No fans likely to be allowed to watch games anytime soon.  Money to run the game, seemingly in short supply and what monies are available look likely to be in the form of loans.

What do others think ?

gs50

• View Profile
Re: Is it time to call a halt ?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 06:00:45 PM »
All football should be either cancelled or suspended The country is being told to stay at home yet football is still carrying on.Footballers are travelling all round the country stop it all. Totally lockdown country except for real Key workers bloody joke you can travel round country to look at properties.

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 06:07:49 PM »
As estate agents etc, garden centres, coffee shops & “non” essential shops (for click & collect) are still open no reason football shouldn’t continue. If all those close then maybe football should as well.

Also, don’t forget the part it plays helping with mental health.....even though no fans can go to games having a game to watch at weekends does help.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 06:15:04 PM »
All football should be either cancelled or suspended The country is being told to stay at home yet football is still carrying on.Footballers are travelling all round the country stop it all. Totally lockdown country except for real Key workers bloody joke you can travel round country to look at properties.

I think you will get your wish very soon, including stopping  people looking at properties to purchase.

I'm for football being called to  halt, and far more stricter lock down rules to be enforced on the general population.

I'd go as far as it needs to go with regards to restrictions. I'd even go for curfews if the data shows it would help. Basically do anything that would get things under control. Do it now not later, so we can get to the new normal quicker.

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 06:21:14 PM »
This being a football forum I put up a new thread based on Football.   What GC EA. Etc do is maybe for a different forum.

Take your point Paul about mental health, this shouldn’t underestimated at anytime.   On the flip side the NL set up seems to suffering far more calls offs than those in the League structure.  Is that down to lack of professionalism, testing ?   Not sure why but that’s the way it seems.

Plus with no funds being available ( at this moment) to continue the season it seems make more sense to at the very least suspended the season until some of the issues can be put right.

I read at the weekend that a couple of clubs in the National League are looking to stop playing games.  While some players are refusing to train or play because of Covid safety.   One for example has a pregnant wife who doesn’t wish to put at risk ( perfectly understandable)

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 06:22:53 PM »
I am a big football fan and season ticket holder but believe correct thing to is to either cancell all football or suspend it.

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 06:24:19 PM »
This being a football forum I put up a new thread based on Football.   What GC EA. Etc do is maybe for a different forum.

Take your point Paul about mental health, this shouldn’t underestimated at anytime.   On the flip side the NL set up seems to suffering far more calls offs than those in the League structure.  Is that down to lack of professionalism, testing ?   Not sure why but that’s the way it seems.

Plus with no funds being available ( at this moment) to continue the season it seems make more sense to at the very least suspended the season until some of the issues can be put right.

I read at the weekend that a couple of clubs in the National League are looking to stop playing games.  While some players are refusing to train or play because of Covid safety.   One for example has a pregnant wife who doesn’t wish to put at risk ( perfectly understandable)

Fair point about non-football businesses!

As I said where possible it should continue. I think it’s Sutton Utd I read wanting season ending (null & void) which has nothing to do with being in the bottom 3.....they were happen enough for PPG last season when it got them in the play offs.

As for the player with a pregnant wife, can understand his worries but lots of people in same boat still have to work.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 07:06:26 PM »
Didn’t read about Sutton.  Think the two I saw were Slough and Oxford.

This latest cock up at The Walks certainly doesn’t help.   Is it true the Clubs H&S officer has walked on the back of this ?

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 07:15:59 PM »
Didn’t read about Sutton.  Think the two I saw were Slough and Oxford.

This latest cock up at The Walks certainly doesn’t help.   Is it true the Clubs H&S officer has walked on the back of this ?

I meant Slough. Apologies to all at Sutton.

I have no idea about the clubs h&s officer. Seems 2 people on have been told something, so maybe one of you could fill us all in?

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 07:20:33 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55615893

The Clubs have only themselves to blame. No one else.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 08:14:43 PM »

The Clubs have only themselves to blame. No one else.

That's not how it works!  :laughcry:
Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war.

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 12:03:17 AM »
It was overly optimistic (foolish) to think that this season would be able to be a normal 46 game season, especially given how the last ended. I’d advocate knocking this one on the head, and maybe regional tournaments April-June, in preparation for hopefully a normal(ish) 2021/22 season, post vaccine rollout.

exile dart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 12:10:05 AM »
Sad to say it is time to call a halt.

Dilligaf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 12:29:13 PM »
I'll be surprised to see it happen across all levels....too much money involved at the very top....and after all money talks even in the midst of a "pandemic"

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 02:07:20 PM »
I'll be surprised to see it happen across all levels....too much money involved at the very top....and after all money talks even in the midst of a "pandemic"

Problem is the NL campaigned to be 'elite' in 2019/20 and is now finding that coming back to haunt them.  Great for us last year in that it allowed promotion under PPG to the National but PFA only seem happy to fund testing down to EFL level.  I appreciate there will always be a cut off between professional and grassroots but I didn't think it should have been between step 2 & 3 of the non-league pyramid last year and unfortunately there will be a number of clubs in dire straits because of that decision.  Surprised the letter from NLN sides only had twelve signatories but maybe they didn't ask all clubs but that seems a pretty good indication as to where clubs are  https://www.chesterfc.com/2021/01/12/read-joint-statement-12-01-2021/

Personally I would pause the whole of non-league now and merge the 2020/21 and 2021/22 seasons by starting up again in September as I can't see next season being much less disjointed than this, if the NL tries to limp on for another month then maybe they could tag on another round of fixtures next year so everyone plays everyone else three times for the combined season which for me has always been preferable to a part completed season and PPG.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal