Author Topic: V Hornchurch  (Read 4946 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
V Hornchurch
« on: January 14, 2021, 12:30:12 PM »
It would appear that the subject of streaming the match against Hornchurch is creating some interest.

https://www.fansfocus.com/topic/204015-please-read-streaming-against-kings-lynn-town/
Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war.

Dilligaf

• View Profile
Re: V Hornchurch
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 03:13:16 PM »
Well...at least we know if it's not streamed...its because Mr Cleeve wouldn't back down and allow his fanbase to watch it for free.... :red card:

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 06:20:03 PM »
I wonder how he’ll spin this one?

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 07:02:44 PM »
I wonder how he’ll spin this one?

On the podcast and in the SC's EDP column - https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/stephen-cleeve-column-6891258

"Our FA Cup game against Portsmouth in a normal environment would have been a great financial fillip for the club. Sadly, the home club lost £5,967.42 putting the game on and we of course rightly need to pay half of this, as our share of the losses. So imagine my surprise when I heard that Hornchurch were going to give the streaming away for our FA Trophy game next week and ask for donations in return to their supporters’ club."

Basically SC thinks Hornchurch are 'pulling a fast one' in that if they charged for the stream 50% would come to KL, however by asking for 'donations' they keep all the potential income.  Now you can argue this both ways and I can see SC's point but it certainly isn't winning the club any fans, particularly with a lower league club who are not getting any income at present.  Maybe a better option would have been to explain the situation and, given that we are hardly likely to be talking huge £s, SC could have asked Lynn fans to make their own mind up and for those that thought Hornchurch's stance was unfair to make a contribution to Lynn instead.

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 07:36:56 PM »
how the hell could a loss have been made in the Portsmouth game it was televised live didn't we get money from that.

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 07:50:32 PM »
how the hell could a loss have been made in the Portsmouth game it was televised live didn't we get money from that.

Poverty is being pleaded here. Posts suggesting otherwise are not helpful.  :countingmoney:
I read in the Mirror today that National League clubs are looking for sponsors to pay for their players Covid tests. You cannot make it up. :laughcry:

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 07:51:16 PM »
I would agree that it is bad form to ask for donations to the supporters' club. For a league match maybe but not for a cup match where under normal circumstances gate money would be shared.

Although Mr Cleeve has heard this has anyone actually seen this anywhere?
“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 08:01:38 PM »

Poverty is being pleaded here. Posts suggesting otherwise are not helpful.  :countingmoney:
I read in the Mirror today that National League clubs are looking for sponsors to pay for their players Covid tests. You cannot make it up. :laughcry:

I can't see many coming forward on this one, if the results we have on shirt sponsorship is anything to go by!

www.kltown.co.uk/first-team/

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 08:37:50 PM »
Makes you wonder if the Commercial General Manager is furloughed again, apart from Saturday where he does the commentary on the streaming. 

exile dart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 10:24:49 PM »
First post. Moved to near KL two months ago. Ex Dart (1974 FA trophy final at Wembley, losing to Morecambe). Lived a couple of miles from Hornchurch the past 20 years. Took my stepson as a lad to athletics training at the stadium. He became Essex cross country champion up to U17 for Mayesbrook athletic club
Good memories of the place but will be supporting the Linnets. COYL

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 10:29:01 PM »
First post. Moved to near KL two months ago. Ex Dart (1974 FA trophy final at Wembley, losing to Morecambe). Lived a couple of miles from Hornchurch the past 20 years. Took my stepson as a lad to athletics training at the stadium. He became Essex cross country champion up to U17 for Mayesbrook athletic club
Good memories of the place but will be supporting the Linnets. COYL

Welcome.    :scarf:

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 08:35:15 AM »
Streaming £7 for Linnets fans and £2 for Hornchurch fans ( by way of a £5 bar rebate)

From the Hornchurch website

Alex Sharp, Hornchurch chairman, said on the streaming “Following discussions with King’s Lynn Town FC, the decision has been taken for KLTFC to stream Saturday’s FA Trophy game at a charge of £7.  Hornchurch would like to offer any of our supporters who decide to stream the game from home a £5 bar credit once we are able to play football again at the stadium. If you intend to stream the game, please keep a record of your purchase so we can honour the bar credit.  Keep safe and enjoy the game”.

Luke89

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 11:06:42 AM »
Morning Linnets fans, a friendly Hornchurch fan and supporters association committee member here. Having read some of the comments on here I feel as though some explanation is needed -

- Hornchurch Supporters Association is a non profit part of the club who support the club and raise money for charity as well as fundraising for community projects.

- we spent near on £1000 of our money to buy the camera, microphones etc to film games for our fans. (Kings Lynn Game would have been the 1st)

- these games were going to be streamed for FREE to all fans. If fans wanted to they could donate however much they wanted for the free stream but this wasn’t necessary. We were doing this for the fans and the community

- money donated would’ve gone towards paying for the filming equipment although we know we wouldn’t have got the £1000 back

- the game is now £7 thanks to lots of hard work from our club to yours to make it fair for all fans to watch during the current climate. The chairman of Hornchurch is gifting fans who buy the game a £5 bar credit when we open again. This is obviously more then the £3.50 we will get from Kings Lynn for the streaming fee.

- Also, the rationale behind the donation approach certainly wasn't to "pull a fast one".  We had visited Hampton & Richmond in the FA Cup, along with Tonbridge Angels and Dulwich Hamlet in the Trophy.  All 3 National South sides streamed for free with an optional donation element.

As an example, Dulwich's justgiving page for their stream:  https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/dhfctv

We never looked at these free streams as money lost, nor did we expect to take a cut of their donations, we were just extremely pleased that our supporters could get to watch their team in a behind closed doors fixture.

I feel the above explains a lot of the maybe unjustified comments on here and hopefully there will be a lot more understanding now that we wanted to give this game to the fans for free!

Good Luck Saturday, Luke

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 11:14:10 AM »
Morning Linnets fans, a friendly Hornchurch fan and supporters association committee member here. Having read some of the comments on here I feel as though some explanation is needed -

- Hornchurch Supporters Association is a non profit part of the club who support the club and raise money for charity as well as fundraising for community projects.

- we spent near on £1000 of our money to buy the camera, microphones etc to film games for our fans. (Kings Lynn Game would have been the 1st)

- these games were going to be streamed for FREE to all fans. If fans wanted to they could donate however much they wanted for the free stream but this wasn’t necessary. We were doing this for the fans and the community

- money donated would’ve gone towards paying for the filming equipment although we know we wouldn’t have got the £1000 back

- the game is now £7 thanks to lots of hard work from our club to yours to make it fair for all fans to watch during the current climate. The chairman of Hornchurch is gifting fans who buy the game a £5 bar credit when we open again. This is obviously more then the £3.50 we will get from Kings Lynn for the streaming fee.

- Also, the rationale behind the donation approach certainly wasn't to "pull a fast one".  We had visited Hampton & Richmond in the FA Cup, along with Tonbridge Angels and Dulwich Hamlet in the Trophy.  All 3 National South sides streamed for free with an optional donation element.

As an example, Dulwich's justgiving page for their stream:  https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/dhfctv

We never looked at these free streams as money lost, nor did we expect to take a cut of their donations, we were just extremely pleased that our supporters could get to watch their team in a behind closed doors fixture.

I feel the above explains a lot of the maybe unjustified comments on here and hopefully there will be a lot more understanding now that we wanted to give this game to the fans for free!

Good Luck Saturday, Luke

Thanks for the explanation Luke. I would guess that most Lynn fans would have realised what your Club would have come up against during any negotiations. Nice to see such a matter being treated as a Community project and for the fans.

Well done to all involved.

Good luck (although not too much) for tomorrow.

:scarf:

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 11:43:08 AM »
In fairness Hornchurch are a community based club and obviously are doing their bit to foster those aims, and all credit to them.   Kings Lynn under our current stewardship are not a community based clubs, despite their endeavours to say otherwise.

We have to realise that we are punching way above our weight and that has to be paid for.  100k plus per month takes a lot of finding.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal