Author Topic: Eastleigh away. Tues night  (Read 3813 times)

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
Eastleigh away. Tues night
« on: January 18, 2021, 08:27:19 AM »
After Saturdayís disappointing result a chance to bounce right back with 3 points up for grabs at 16th in the table Eastleigh.

This is the first of a run of 7 games in 3 weeks,  5 of which are on the road.   

Big changes I guess from the team that started Saturday and Iím sure we will hear the big reaction quote being trotted out ( again).

2-2 draw.   As for the team I think thatís for Dilly to advise us.   Be sure though it will be packed full of slippery Nipsters

KES80

• View Profile
Re: Eastleigh away. Tues night
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 01:27:19 PM »
Of course there will have to be changes.......Saturday showed just how far some of the squad members have to go............with everyone fit and available, apart from McAuley who has ruled himself out of this one, I  personally would like to see Lynn start fielding more consistent line ups...many of the players on board have a history of needing a number of appearances on the trot to produce the goods.Hopefully Jones back to partner Barrows with Smith and C-McF in the centre. Richards to return, with pacey wingers and Mazza upfront.

I have a hunch that when Dilly played he was a bit of a "carthorse hooligan" at the back........and that is why he is now obsessed with his slippery nipsters.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 02:21:15 PM »
My guess KES is that Dilly could catch pigeons,  Thatís how he is so knowledgeable on slippery nipsters.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 02:46:31 PM »
 :laughcry: Would certainly get slippery going after those

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 04:05:33 PM »
PS if ever there was a time for speed, guile and firepower it's against The Spitfires !!!!..........unless it's the Triumph variety of course. :laughcry:

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 03:32:08 PM »
No, KES, Dilly wasnít one - he loved playing AGAINST carthorses and hooligans !  The old Swaffham left -back still has to go to QEH for an annual check-up, to make sure his legs havenít started to tangle up again !....Hard to pick the team for Eastleigh, because I donít know too much about the new players, BUT....  the Dilly team for tonight is....  Mair (a worrying name for a GK !);  Jones, McFadden, Smith, Brown/Barrows;  Gyasi, Kelly, King, Kiwomya;  Southwell, Marriott.... Subs, Jarvis, Brown/Barrows, Gash, Richards, Carey, 3 to be used after 50 minutes, as anything after 60 is mostly too late.  Keep THEM under pressure, instead of US !....  Iím keeping this free of charge, for a while, as I realise 50 squid notes are in short supply at present.......

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Those that stand for nothing, fall for anything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 04:06:02 PM »
Who'd you used to play for Dilly?

:scarf:
.....when the teeth are ok, but the gums gotta go.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 04:11:21 PM »

Like your team selection Dilly.... would only tinker with that line up and would have Richards instead of Kelly (don't think we can afford Kelly and King in same team) and would play new left back Tyler Denton .

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 04:17:37 PM »
Ps Cash is going out of fashion Dilly...just ask for payment by bank transfer

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 04:27:20 PM »
Donít forget boys n girls, early kick off tonight.

Mair, Jones, Smith, McFadden, Barrows, Jarv, Richards, King, Kiwomya, Gash, Southwell

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 05:08:22 PM »
Why no Mazza Mall ?

For whatever reason he doesn't seem able to establish himself as first pick this term...why do you think that is ?

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 05:43:42 PM »
If you think back to last season before the Season went  to PPG we went through a real sticky patch which coincided with Marriott having a lean time in front of goal.   Then the injury he picked up pre season saw him miss the start of this season.  When he did return there was no Gash to play off.   

So for me a combination of things.  Maybe, just maybe the step up has proved much tougher for him.  Not as many chances coming his way and defenders being that little bit better than in NLN.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 05:57:33 PM »
Certainly at this level, much fewer chances at goal per game and you have to take them when they come along. In previous 2 seasons loads of chance created and plenty scored by the team, but even then ratio of chances taken to those available was not always that great.

Thanks for your views Mall

Personally, I think I would give Mazza half a dozen starts and see where he is at then.

IC currently seems to agree more with your take Mall

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 06:27:44 PM »
In terms of Marriott, the previous two years the team was set up to create chances that he converted a fair proportion of (even in his dry spell post Christmas last year he still got on the end of a lot) and he also had buckets of confidence from converting those chances.  This year he was injured pre-season and didn't look match sharp when we started and the team is no longer set up to create those same sort of opportunities for a poacher type player, hence we have gone with Southwell who looks like he will run and chase down all day but isn't anything like the goal threat that Marriott could be.

I remain to be convinced that wingers are the way to go and I guess we might not have the opportunity for 'time to tell' as I can't see the season, even at step 1, going beyond the end of January with the government funding being loans not grants.  Pleased to see a new left back signed as that might help the shape of the team and I am with KES in that I would have Marriott back in the side just to see if he could regain some of that form but whether IC would be willing to change the team again to accommodate him is the question, I think a similar argument could be had for Carey who would be one of the first names on my teamsheet but just can't see how you get the best out of him in the current formation.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 07:59:10 PM »
Marriott, and Southwell for that matter, are used to playing in sides that bring the ball with them, and create openings.  Many of the selections this season have been designed to keep the opponents out, which means balls boomed from the back, over the heads of the 2 strikers, IMO.  Itís improving now.  Marriot5 has started to look slippery again, just been unlucky in front of goal.  And Southwell only looks like heís an all day runner, because heís had to chase wind-borne punts above his head.  Heís very good when given decent balls.  Things are improving.   I think we have the potential for moving on up......

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal