Author Topic: Season under threat  (Read 6836 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
Re: Season under threat
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2021, 09:21:34 PM »
Just listened to SCís latest podcast.  His feeling is that we will play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday. Then that will be it unless someone comes up with some money to get the League through to the end of the season.

I donít understand that. I thought there was already an offer of financial assistance. 
Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2021, 09:30:07 PM »
Apparently NL clubs voted against taking individual loans, the NL taking out the loan and voted against suspending the season.

Just when you think it canít get any worse.

Sounds a bit like they are going to try and get the cash from the money tree at the bottom of the garden.

SC stated that if the season finished now  and NL NLN & NLS clubs Furloughed their players for three months it would cost the Gov 16.5m

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2021, 09:36:51 PM »
Apparently NL clubs voted against taking individual loans, the NL taking out the loan and voted against suspending the season.

Just when you think it canít get any worse.

Sounds a bit like they are going to try and get the cash from the money tree at the bottom of the garden.

SC stated that if the season finished now  and NL NLN & NLS clubs Furloughed their players for three months it would cost the Gov 16.5m

Quick bit of (estimated) mental arithmetic.

That would mean that the average wage bill for the clubs is 750k a year.

🤣

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2021, 09:44:21 PM »
Hereford happily broadcast they had a playing budget of £700,000 last season.

£750k a year would be a wage bill of about £15,000 per week. Bet several clubs are more than that

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2021, 09:55:22 PM »
Probably, but I bet thereís not many anywhere near that figure in North and South.

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2021, 10:00:15 PM »
Probably, but I bet thereís not many anywhere near that figure in North and South.

Would say the likes of York, Boston, Hereford wouldnít be far of that figure? Plus the likes of Notts Co, Stockport, Wrexham, Chesterfield to name just a few. Would imagine the full time clubs in ours and the North woulda be more than £15k a week?

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2021, 10:12:14 PM »
The last figures I saw were

NL average 758k

NLN. ..........340k

NLS............ 240k

Which is gives an overall average of  434k per Club.   With my abacus that is a long way short of 16.5 for 3 months.  Then again Iím no accountant so I could have it all wrong.

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2021, 10:17:09 PM »
Iíve seen a few clubs, and MPís, have sent letters to DCMS saying it would cost government more on furlough payments than the £11 million so not just Mr Cleeve saying it. Iím sure they know better than us fans.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2021, 10:22:49 PM »
Maybe they are all getting it from the same source.

I agree IF the furlough payment comes out more than the 11m then it would be crazy.

Maybe we are both right Paul.  Could be playing staff is one figure but back office, coaching staff etc take the figure to a different level

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2021, 10:56:42 PM »
Iíve seen a few clubs, and MPís, have sent letters to DCMS saying it would cost government more on furlough payments than the £11 million so not just Mr Cleeve saying it. Iím sure they know better than us fans.

I wonder if any of these MP's were like ours when last handout was given to the Clubs?

He was all for the Clubs being given grants, but was against Govt paying for School dinners for deprived children during holidays.

How ironic that it was football in the shape of Marcus Rashford that came to the rescue on this one.

Sometimes I think the priorities of some people are all wrong in this Country.

Dilligaf

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2021, 11:43:11 PM »
Just listened to SCís latest podcast.  His feeling is that we will play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday. Then that will be it unless someone comes up with some money to get the League through to the end of the season.

Yeah well...he also said in a previous podcast that Boris would be gone in January...and that it came from a good source....not many days left on that prediction

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2021, 09:22:02 AM »
You can see where this is heading.

Any money made available will only be for step one Clubs.

Nice maneuver.

#allonefootballfamily

I get confused over the whole business at the moment  as to why we are still playing

I don't think you are the only one!  :dontknow:

It might be that the N/Sís feedback has been overwhelmingly for stopping, whereas the top tiers feedback might be more mixed. Notts county have previously said theyíve got the backing to go to the end come what may, might be the case that some of the other full-time clubs with genuine league aspirations have got deep enough pockets. Could be the cause of quite a schism in our league

Nigel nigle

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2021, 07:13:09 AM »
It looks like the league will not take on the debt and I am sure the clubs will not so it is either a suspension or termination of the season coming up

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2021, 08:44:54 AM »
http://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55818377

Looks and sounds as if the frozen pitch did the Club a favour last night.  :dontknow:

No point in playing the game and incurring the associated costs if League is coming to halt in next few days.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2021, 09:50:32 AM »
The BBC article suggests the Government weren't happy with the way the original grant tranche was allocated.......I wonder if that is also part of the reason why no further grants will be on offer.

I think the NL should just end the season for the 3 leagues now, take a few months to get its house in order and start next season promptly in August.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal