Author Topic: Stockport at home Tues night. POSTPONED  (Read 2608 times)

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
Stockport at home Tues night. POSTPONED
« on: January 24, 2021, 06:35:21 PM »
Games coming thick and fast.  Time to move on from Saturdayís defeat and look forward to Tuesday.

Interesting that despite sitting 4th the League Stockport have sacked their Manager, Jim Gannon.   Looks a very strange decision, on the surface.    Maybe a good time to play them at home.

Team.... Result ? 

Dilly, where are you ? Letís be Avin you.

Have we got enough Tricky, Slippy, Silky Nipsters in the squad to get something out of this one ?

KES80

• View Profile
Re: Stockport at home Tues night. POSTPONED
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 09:06:48 PM »
You're behind the times Mall.... we're onto" slippery nipster tricksters" now ! :laughcry:

Gannon sacked over culture issues at the club apparently.

Think Stockport will have too much for a Lynn set up, that still doesn't know it's best formation or how to see out a game, 16 games in. Assuming Kiwomya is out with a tight hamstring, I will go for 1-3.

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 12:50:07 PM »
5-1 Stockport. Them to have a field day day with the crosses and Mair stranded on line as usual.

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 01:29:00 PM »
are you saying we need a more experienced keeper.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 01:48:50 PM »
 :laughcry: Think you'll find we had one........better not go over all that again.

I do hope that by next season Lynn are in a position where Lynn can say "thanks, but no thanks to Norwich loanees. Inevitably they need to be played, inevitably this can cause squad disruption and inevitably they will use Lynn as a stepping stone before shooting off as soon as an improved opportunity presents itself, when the time feels right for the player. (All my opinion only of course).

I hope Mair stays for the rest of the season...think he has performed ok, but obviously lacks experience........and wherever he decides to go I wish him well. ......same applies to Power.
This league is so tough though....you can't afford many in the squad who are just using it as a learning experience without putting firm foundations down for the club. (IMHO)

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 01:57:14 PM »
:laughcry:Think you'll find we had one........better not go over all that again.

I do hope that by next season Lynn are in a position where Lynn can say "thanks, but no thanks to Norwich loanees. Inevitably they need to be played, inevitably this can cause squad disruption and inevitably they will use Lynn as a stepping stone before shooting off as soon as an improved opportunity presents itself, when the time feels right for the player. (All my opinion only of course).

I hope Mair stays for the rest of the season...think he has performed ok, but obviously lacks experience........and wherever he decides to go I wish him well. ......same applies to Power.
This league is so tough though....you can't afford many in the squad who are just using it as a learning experience without putting firm foundations down for the club. (IMHO)

KES, just look around our league... I would guess that we have the lowest loanee count of all teams in the league (maybe held that title even when Power was still here).  The fact of the matter is NL clubs need loanees both in terms of quality and in terms of getting that quality at a reasonable cost so having a good relationship with Norwich should be a win-win, the question is why haven't we managed to build a similar relationship with any other club(s), I can't imagine the deal earlier in the season with Peterborough reflected well on either side.

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 02:06:54 PM »
need to have close relationship with Norwich however when you have a loan player think they should be part of the squad and not automatic choice.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 02:26:29 PM »
need to have close relationship with Norwich however when you have a loan player think they should be part of the squad and not automatic choice.

I would agree with that and from the outside I wouldn't say it looks like Norwich have ever insisted on players being given preferential treatment.  Neither Payne last year nor Power last year or this were automatic choices and Mair is only an 'automatic' due to Street leaving, without wanting to open an old argument I think IC was right to swap the keepers when he did, yes Mair has parts of his game to work on but equally has been one of the most consistent performers this season imo.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 04:36:35 PM »
Sorry Tony, I am not wanting to disagree, but am sadly unable to agree with much that you say there.

With the IC connection, Norwich is an obvious route for loans, so I understand this is a difficult issue.

I personally feel if we fostered links with Lincoln, Cambridge, Peterborough, Colchester etc we would be able to have loanees who are a little older, more experienced, more suited to our level and more likely to stay. Taking on a loanee from a Premiership/Championship club will most likely result in the club taking on a young inexperienced lad, who immediately has aspirations of playing well above NL level and therefore may depart mid stream........I also don't accept that they are not expected to be picked, no matter what IC says. IMHO......you yourself have questioned how Power fitted into the team system and left it unbalanced.......most of us could see that...yet he was still a regular pick......and personally, although Mair is a great shot stopper, overall I don't feel he has added to the club's defensive abilities, in comparison to what pre existed, even though he has tremendous potential and is performing really well for someone so young

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 05:45:47 PM »
KES, no problem with you having a different opinion, I wish more could have a sensible conversation on here without it turning personal.

I don't disagree with your point about fostering links elsewhere, although I don't think there as many older heads looking to move down as maybe there maybe used to be and loans would still tend to be younger players, particularly if you are looking at season long loans.  As for Norwich being too high, Weymouth have signed a loanee from Aston Villa and Barnet one from QPR so I think that is the how the football world is now structured with PL & Championship u23 sides looking for a good chunk of their lads having some time in 'adult' football via the loan system.

We obviously have a different opinion on Mair, I think he is already a better keeper than Street and IC was obviously concerned about that area otherwise he wouldn't have agreed to take Mair on loan in the first place.  Given Bedford haven't played much since Street went there and there have been no (public) moves  to bring him back suggests we will be looking elsewhere for 2021-22 - this was my main concern with having a loan keeper in that it is an all or nothing arrangement and does leave us looking to fill that spot again next season.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 05:57:44 PM »
Mair is a fine young keeper, but being a youngster he is learning his trade.  Letís not forget he is getting top class coaching on a daily basis whilst learning from some top class keepers at Colney.

I remember the late, great Brian Clough, signing Peter Shilton with comment he signed as he wanted a keeper who would save him 20 goals a season, not cost him 10.

As for loaners. Itís all about getting the right ones in and not just taking what is offered.  Players coming in from U21 squads are use to limited contact football played on a carpet.  When they come into the National League it is a rude awaking.   

Sink or Swim.

TonyM

• View Profile
Re: Stockport at home Tues night.
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 01:27:37 PM »
Tonight's game is off per Twitter

Update | Tonightís scheduled @TheVanaramaNL game against
@StockportCounty has been postponed due to a frozen pitch.

New date to be announced once arranged

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 01:50:08 PM »
Those covers working well  :laughcry:

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2021, 02:58:40 PM »
Ah well back to the drawing board.

Mallard