Author Topic: NL hoping to continue?  (Read 9057 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
NL hoping to continue?
« on: February 07, 2021, 10:20:38 AM »
Ollie Bayliss

@Ollie_Bayliss

12h

The National League plans to introduce mandatory lateral flow testing across all 66 clubs from the week commencing 15th February.

Tests will be provided at no cost to clubs, who will be instructed to test twice a week.

The plan still needs final approval from the League Board
Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war.

KES80

• View Profile
Re: NL hoping to continue?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 11:17:28 AM »
Just adds to the farce IMO.........bit late in the day....why the hell didn't they do it earlier.........the leagues might  be well over half way if they had. York for example, I believe have played something like 12 matches so far...so only another 30 to play. If we get going by mid Feb, that's 15 weeks till the end of May......so 2 matches a week, every week, allowing for no postponements at all........so it's already touch and go whether that's feasible.......add in any delays for the  many NLN clubs that will need grants to continue......... ..

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 11:32:03 AM »
Just read on BBC News (so it has to be true  :laughcry:) that the Govt are now supplying free flow tests to Companies with 50 employees (previously 250).

Not sure if NL have tapped into this or if what they are doing is their own initiative.   :dontknow:

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 11:34:18 AM »
When will the league realise that without income the clubs cannot survive. Covid testing is just a part of the problem. Why don't the league provide the funds to the clubs so they can continue and  then the clubs can organise the tests themselves.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 11:45:27 AM »
When will the league realise that without income the clubs cannot survive. Covid testing is just a part of the problem. Why don't the league provide the funds to the clubs so they can continue and  then the clubs can organise the tests themselves.

Looking after their own self interest and not showing a United front (although nothing new there).

From what I can see its a case of the have's and have not's.

Haves:

NL have lucrative sponsorship deals which they are probably terrified of losing or having to pay back.

Top NL teams feel they have a chance of league football, so sod the Pandemic and the wider population.

Top NL teams have the finances to continue.

Have not's:

No money to continue unless supporters are allowed to return. Playing with the big boys and having the financial reserves to be able to do so must have come as a shock to some.

I agree with Cleeve on this. One word sums it all up.

Farcical.

Dilligaf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 11:55:07 AM »
Agree B&G...however i would and i think many more people would have alot more sympathy for the have nots....if they'd not blown £84K a month into the wind on the "expectation" of more money coming along....surely a wise business man would have said....what we have is what we've got....the rest will help us see this storm out.....not spend it on transfers....that now in all hindsight have made next to know difference to the teams position.
Where would we have been without the money spent on them transfers?
Bottom 3?
Hang on...... :dontknow: :dontknow:

It really is farcical at best but unfortunately there are owners/chairmen who have attributed to that fact
I for one wont be handing out any money to any go fund page.....sorry....charity starts at home.... :cheers:

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 12:11:47 PM »
Agree B&G...however i would and i think many more people would have alot more sympathy for the have nots....if they'd not blown £84K a month into the wind on the "expectation" of more money coming along....surely a wise business man would have said....what we have is what we've got....the rest will help us see this storm out.....not spend it on transfers....that now in all hindsight have made next to know difference to the teams position.
Where would we have been without the money spent on them transfers?
Bottom 3?
Hang on...... :dontknow: :dontknow:

It really is farcical at best but unfortunately there are owners/chairmen who have attributed to that fact
I for one wont be handing out any money to any go fund page.....sorry....charity starts at home.... :cheers:

I think it could be a interesting and worrying next few days for Lynn supporters.

If there's no more Grant money and the Clubs are forced to continue, where does the money come from? We are now in the drop zone (although games in hand on one of our rivals).

At the reported 100k a month to run the club and the best part of 4 months to go. Will the club be prepared to spend another 400k in an attempt to retain its place in top tier of NL? If things don't improve on pitch, that could be seen as throwing 400k towards a team facing relegation. :dontknow:

Tough call.

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 12:32:38 PM »
Don't think we will be the only team refusing to play.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 12:52:30 PM »
Don't think we will be the only team refusing to play.

That's as long as we do refuse. Have we refused yet?

Hopefully you are correct and there's strength in numbers.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 01:03:32 PM »
SC has said he canít/wonít fund it for the rest of the season.  So without Gov funding the League has a choice of letting those "have not" clubs finish their season now or risk them going pop.

The National League board has much to answer in the way it has allowed its clubs get this mess.

It gave Clubs 84k a month ( which they took to mean every month for the rest of the season). Some of those clubs must have thought it was Christmas Day every month. 

Maybe this scenario will offer SC some insight into the future and make him realise that he maybe canít afford to fly solo on this project.

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 02:19:11 PM »
You can put some blame on the league, but don't forget Cleeve and many other clubs last season pushed hard for the league to be classed 'elite status' just so they could resume and chase promotion. Had they accepted their position like rest of non league, the argument wouldn't even be here now.

Non league has been a mess financially for years, and the start of the pandemic have just highlighted it even more about how short sighted a lot of clubs are and how many are happy to **** money away overnight.

Dilligaf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 02:30:01 PM »
You're right Non League....the saying you reap what you sow has never had a more truer ring to it... :oldman"
Well.....I hope I am wrong.....and will gladly accept being told so if it is in fact the case, but
1. I think the NL WILL continue......even if it's just to get to a position ppg can be used
 and
2. Cleeve will never change his opinion of flying solo on this project....he calls the shots with a few yes men around him....that suits his purpose ideally

In the next few weeks we shall see.....are people claiming poverty hoping for a hand out?  :bankrupt:...
 :countingmoney:
Or
Will we sadly see that this in fact is a very very harsh reality for some clubs... :dontknow:

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 02:57:25 PM »
The 2019/2020 season finished early. There's was zero chance of the Pandemic being over at any time during the 2020/2021 season, so it was always going to be impacted at sometime and in some manner. That's not something we know with the benefit of hindsight. It appeared obvious to everyone apart from the football authorities and the Clubs themselves.

Were any Plan B's put in place? Maybe we are doing some of  the Clubs an injustice and those that had a Plan B are the same  ones who find themselves in the enviable position of hoping the League will continue.   :dontknow:

I realise there is enough going on at the moment with the crisis NL finds itself in, but the chances are that the virus will still be with us and in a dangerous form well into next season as well. They are forecasting that some form of restrictions will still be with us until the end of the year at least. How severe these restriction will be is any ones guess as its very much a moving target (personally I believe these mutations are more worrying than they are letting on).

Although the current mess has got to be sorted out first, surely they need to be making some sort of alternative plans for next season as well. If not, we could well be having these very same problems and discussions next season.

Always expect the unexpected.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 06:08:20 PM »
Football helping itself:

Anthony Johnson

@amjonno
 ∑ 5 Feb
2nd in the league.

Played everyone away from home in the top 7 bar Fylde.

10 players and staff members working for FREE.

Trained in every town in the NW.

The sacrifices made by this group canít compared to at our level.

Absolutely devastated but totally understand...

:thanks:  :thanks:   :thanks:

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 06:26:05 PM »
Dover Chairman resigns from NL Board.

Ollie Bayliss

@Ollie_Bayliss

3h

Dover Chairman, Jim Parmenter, has resigned from the National League Board.

ďI can no longer support the direction of travel that the board is taking & Iím afraid I can no longer be seen to be party to actions which I absolutely disagree with."

I wonder who would want to take on that position?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal