Author Topic: NL hoping to continue?  (Read 9887 times)

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
Re: NL hoping to continue?
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2021, 08:27:44 AM »
With Tier 2 downwards now all done and dusted for the season what happens with Clubs below step one who are still left  in the FA Trophy ?   

Oxford, Hereford, Hornchurch and Darlo are all below step 1 and are in the Quarter Finals.

Dilligaf

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2021, 08:44:35 AM »
To be honest....if they voted not to continue they should be withdrawn.

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2021, 09:17:34 AM »
With Tier 2 downwards now all done and dusted for the season what happens with Clubs below step one who are still left  in the FA Trophy ?   

Oxford, Hereford, Hornchurch and Darlo are all below step 1 and are in the Quarter Finals.
I guess they will be like Hornchurch and just continue.
“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”

newlinnet2019

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2021, 09:35:27 AM »

I doubt that those 4 clubs would have voted not to continue especially when there is prize money to be had, win or lose!   Winners £7500 - Losers £2000.
Don't think the Isthmian league, where Hornchurch play, had a chance to vote anyway.

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2021, 10:11:34 AM »
Dorking don't seem very happy taking matter to FA. Obviously don't believe in democracy.

Dilligaf

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2021, 10:39:31 AM »

I doubt that those 4 clubs would have voted not to continue especially when there is prize money to be had, win or lose!   Winners £7500 - Losers £2000.
Don't think the Isthmian league, where Hornchurch play, had a chance to vote anyway.

Yeah I agree....but I thought a few weeks ago it was mentioned that Darlington had not wanted to play league games but were quite happy to turn out for the FA Trophy.
Get the feeling even though the votes have been announced....this is not the end of it

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2021, 10:43:13 AM »
Gloucester taking legal advice around no promotion/relegation between step 1 and 2.

This could take a while!

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • The benefit of living here is the benefits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2021, 10:57:53 AM »
So what now for the Linnets?

From what I can understand of the rules, if the season ends in the near future the club will not be able to furlough Denton, Kiwomya, Callan-McFadden, Gyasi and the new secretary as they were not employed before 30th October.

Furlough all the players, including IC, except those signed since season started (4?). Return Mair unless Norwich are prepared to pick up 100% of his wages. How many other staff are there on the payroll? 2/3/4?    :dontknow:

Backie (if willing) to run the team using whatever players he has available and willing to take up the challenge? If not Backie, maybe Joe Simpson (guess we have limited options here and can't think of anyone else).

No disrespect to either of the two mentioned, but imho it don't matter too much about tactical/ managerial ability at this level or for the rest of this season...................just someone to be in charge and capable of fielding eleven players.

There will still be considerable costs for the Chairman to fund until the end of the season, but I would guess this would give him a fighting chance, and who could blame him for taking such action? I certainly wouldn't.

:scarf:
Apparently the Clocks go back this month, but I'm buggered if I can remember where I got mine from!

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2021, 11:08:55 AM »
Gloucester taking legal advice around no promotion/relegation between step 1 and 2.

This could take a while!

Yep, it will drag on.

Seems a complete waste of time as far as I can see.

If the season had been stopped and PPG was used to determine league position, then maybe a bit of an argument.

As 2 is null and void, how can you still have promotion and relegation?

Nonsense.
Apparently the Clocks go back this month, but I'm buggered if I can remember where I got mine from!

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2021, 11:14:29 AM »
Not sure what is IC contract, as it's full time, but you can part time furlough staff. Since there's essentially going to be games basically Sat/Wed for rest of season near enough, I'd part time furlough him so he's managing just the Saturday/Midweek games, no training.

Furlough the whole squad that you can, leaves what McFadden, Kiwoyma, Denton and Gyasi available? Fill rest of the team up of the Youth Development, and bring in players (if they're available at no fee, and happy to play for free with just travel expenses covered for midweek/weekend) to make up rest of squad.

There's going to be no relegation as Step 2 is null & void, so don't **** around with clubs future by still paying everyone and trying to finish 20th. Because way season has gone, probably would be bottom 3 even after keeping everyone. So long term protect the club, do that. Worse case, the club is relegated but in a financial better position than if they plough ahead racking up bigger debts just to then only still get relegated or stay up. And approach next season with bigger debts, smaller budget, and get battered as a result before going down.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2021, 11:19:46 AM »

...........................bring in players (if they're available at no fee, and happy to play for free with just travel expenses covered for midweek/weekend) to make up rest of squad.

First person to call.....................Alex Street.

Still a Linnet at heart!

:scarf:

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2021, 11:32:54 AM »
None of that is going to work....you can't have teams suddenly fielding understrength sides.... all the integrity of the league just disappears.

The solution is fairly obvious and SC has already suggested it....will probably take the NL an age to figure it out. You let the 7 clubs that voted to null and void stop for the season. You organise a mini league or knockout competition between the other 13. Top two or finalists go up to league 2.

Similarly, there is a vacant spot in the NL due to Macclesfield's demise. Let those that want to play on in step 2 have a knockout competition.......winner gets promoted to NL.
Something there for everyone...job done.......move on.

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2021, 11:35:54 AM »

This could take a while!

Yep, it will drag on.

If the season had been stopped and PPG was used to determine league position, then maybe a bit of an argument.

Nonsense.

There’ll be plenty of clubs in the N/S that’ll argue that the league need to fill the 24th spot at the very least, and conveniently that it should be them.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2021, 11:54:22 AM »

This could take a while!

Yep, it will drag on.

Nonsense.

There’ll be plenty of clubs in the N/S that’ll argue that the league need to fill the 24th spot at the very least, and conveniently that it should be them.

Yep, I'd forgotten that we are one team light at the moment.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2021, 11:56:06 AM »
None of that is going to work....you can't have teams suddenly fielding understrength sides.... all the integrity of the league just disappears.

Integrity?

This is football we are talking about!   :laughcry:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal