Author Topic: NL hoping to continue?  (Read 9886 times)

KES80

• View Profile
Re: NL hoping to continue?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2021, 06:33:39 PM »
Some real good could come out of this mess.

I sense that the NL Board's position may become untenable before long.

The government are not best pleased with the way funding was allocated and an Independent Report has been swept under the table, much to the disgust of those producing it. There is a sense that big change is required in the way the leagues are run.

Should the clubs round on the Board en masse, I think a huge change might not be too far off.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • The benefit of living here is the benefits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2021, 06:38:13 PM »
Some real good could come out of this mess.

I sense that the NL Board's position may become untenable before long.

The government are not best pleased with the way funding was allocated and an Independent Report has been swept under the table, much to the disgust of those producing it. There is a sense that big change is required in the way the leagues are run.

Should the clubs round on the Board en masse, I think a huge change might not be too far off.

If they are all replaced, how to ensure we would not be subjected to more of the same?   :dontknow:
Apparently the Clocks go back this month, but I'm buggered if I can remember where I got mine from!

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2021, 07:18:44 PM »
Dover Chairman resigns from NL Board.

Ollie Bayliss

@Ollie_Bayliss

3h

Dover Chairman, Jim Parmenter, has resigned from the National League Board.

的 can no longer support the direction of travel that the board is taking & I知 afraid I can no longer be seen to be party to actions which I absolutely disagree with."

I wonder who would want to take on that position?

Hmm, someone who likes media attention perhaps.   :dontknow:

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2021, 09:00:31 PM »
Like the inmates running the asylum?

Surely it has to be an independent board that should be running this. 

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2021, 09:16:20 PM »
Should be part of the review of football as a whole, starting with the NL tiers and working up and down, with ministers and shadow ministers involved in the decision process, since it is government money/ loans which has kept and potential will, keep the circus rolling

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2021, 09:41:32 PM »
Dover Chairman, Jim Parmenter has today resigned as a Director of the National League.

In a letter sent to National League Chairman, Brian Barwick and members of the board, Mr Parmenter said:  的 can no longer support the direction of travel that the board is taking and I知 afraid I can no longer be seen to be a party to actions which I absolutely disagree with.

的 accept that the board is a collective and whilst as a member, it is a prerequisite that, in public, the board and its Chairman are supported.  I have therefore chosen to resign, in order to say what I really believe publicly.

典he lack of grant funding should have been properly addressed in late December or at least very early January. As it stands it is likely to be two months with no funds for clubs before any sort of resolution is forthcoming.

的 am in particular disagreement that the executive appears to be encouraging clubs to take large loans to complete the season, as I have said twice at board meetings I believe that the competition rules are being broken by allowing the proposed loans, let alone encouraging them. (Page 155 Appendices 08 of the rule book).

典he league has for ten years insisted that clubs manage their financial affairs prudently and has had great success and received much praise for the results, now that is all to be thrown to the dogs and for what?

的 understand why the bigger, richer clubs with chances of promotion are pushing hard to continue, but in a sense they are asking smaller clubs with no crowds or income who are playing for no reason to take large loans and probably overstretch themselves with dire consequences, to subsidise the larger clubs ambitions. I do not agree with that position.
 :hide:b
典he board has very little credibility as an organisation within our clubs and I believe the decision to send letters to clubs who find it difficult to play, threatening sanctions was ill-conceived and will do nothing to unite the competition in what continues to be a very divisive time.  Even if the vote is to continue I do not believe that the league will be able to continue in any credible form or with integrity for another five months.

典here are some very good people on the board and I do not seek to criticise individuals, but as a body, I do not believe we have shown strong, relevant leadership. Our governance  has descended into chaos and some decisions made by the board seem to change when interpreted by the executive.
Apparently the Clocks go back this month, but I'm buggered if I can remember where I got mine from!

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2021, 12:26:47 PM »
shame he didn't stay until after vote.

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2021, 12:41:36 PM »

Well.....I hope I am wrong.....and will gladly accept being told so if it is in fact the case, but
1. I think the NL WILL continue......even if it's just to get to a position ppg can be used
 and

This will be the interesting part for me. I feel Step 1 will continue and Step 2 will be null & void, in which case what do King's Lynn do? Continue ****ing money up the wall for nothing to gain, because they won't be making play offs and won't be relegated (as there'll be no relegation due to no promotion below)? Or furlough contracted players, and play a lot of the younger players, and accept quite a lot of big defeats over rest of season to save money.

Don't think King's Lynn would be only club contemplating this if Step 1 continues with no relegation.

Dilligaf

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2021, 02:07:41 PM »
I agree Non League...very interesting few weeks ahead.
I personally believe all 3 divisions should be null and void....but I believed that is what should have happened at the end of last season.
We've all seen teams rally in the last few games to avoid relegation or win a league...its what makes the game what it is.....mistakes, pressure, highs and lows
To hand over trophies, promotion, play off slots, relegations was not done in the true spirit of the game but more at the whim and moans of men more interested in the money side.

I have a feeling somehow the powers that be will fudge a way through this and there will be games played at all 3 divisions so leagues can see out the season with promotions and relegations intact.

Dont ask me how....I dont know...like I said I hope I am wrong....I really do

But football is a funny old game and is regularly proving it's being run but alot of funny old men who haven't got the foggiest, or indeed the inclination to do what is right.
Money talks in the premiership and even though compared to the premiership at non league level it's a whisper....its still there....and is at the root of all the decisions made.
Non league football at this precise moment to use an analogy is Rome and the chairman of the board is Nero.... :dontknow:

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2021, 11:09:20 AM »
The end may be in sight, but still a long way to go. Is there really any point in continuing this season, when restrictions could possibly be here (in some shape or form) for part of next season?

Comment from Sage this morning:

End in sight?

Expert predicts UK could be 僧ore or less' free of Covid crisis by Christmas.

Professor John Edmunds, who is part of the Government's Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), renewed hopes in a relatively imminent end of the coronavirus lockdown. The expert said the UK should be "more or less free" of the worst effects of the virus by December, though some preventative rules could stay "probably forever".

Prof Edmunds told ITV's Robert Peston: "I think we will be more or less free of this by the end of this year... say Christmas."

But he warned tougher restrictions were currently needed in order to curb the spread of new variants of the pathogen.

The expert said: "I think we do have to keep our borders pretty tight at the moment - nobody likes this.

"But we've identified these significant new variants that are out there and we need to be able to arm ourselves against them and we don't have new vaccines that could potentially arm ourselves against these new variants yet.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2021, 12:47:41 PM »
Completely agree B & G there is no sense in trying to continue the season at all. This is a good point to stop.....not even half way for most clubs. I personally think that even if they tried to complete and all clubs could afford to go on, they wouldn't get it done before the end of June....... restrictions will still be in place to keep new mutations at bay for some time yet and plenty of postponements will keep coming as players have to self isolate. But the over riding concern has to be everyone's health and even with regular testing teams are being asked to take unwise risks and by taking them they are not only endangering their health, but also unnecessarily adding to the potential viral spread.
I am of the opinion that those who can't see that need to be told quite firmly by a higher authority.
With further new variants having been detected, that may happen sooner rather than later

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2021, 12:54:59 PM »
And if they do carry on this season, when next season comes along, and if there are still restrictions in place so Clubs income is still being decimated, what are they going to do then?

Ask for further bail outs? 

:banghead;

For so many reasons it should all be stopped. We should be discussing what the plans are for next season if restrictions are still in place, not still going on about this season!

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2021, 02:42:01 PM »
was due to go to show at corn exchange in June now rescheduled until next June Pity the shower called National League haven't got same commonsense.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2021, 02:49:55 PM »
was due to go to show at corn exchange in June now rescheduled until next June Pity the shower called National League haven't got same commonsense.

They know exactly what they are doing.

Servicing their own selfish needs.

Not taking into account anything other than what's best for them!

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2021, 05:07:51 PM »
Dulwich Hamlet (and other NLN/NLS clubs) have been charged (likely to be fined) by the league for not playing their last 2 fixtures and Southport have been sent correspondence by the league warning them they same will happen if they don't play their fixtures. Would explain why Lynn are still playing?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal