Author Topic: NL hoping to continue?  (Read 9029 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
Re: NL hoping to continue?
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2021, 08:09:48 PM »

It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that if step 2 nulls and voids, so that grants for continuing the season are not warranted at that step, that a  small  number of grants might be available for struggling NL clubs to save the integrity of the league and enable promotion/relegation with League 2

Has that been suggested anywhere?
Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war.

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2021, 08:20:44 PM »
Yes B & G, can obviously see where you are coming from and in most cases would agree...keep the communication lines open with the very people you may be relying on to fill the Stadium later.
However, if I was a Chairman of a club in the NL I would be playing my cards close to the chest....we have seen only recently the type of knee jerk reaction than can emanate from the Board over the initial threats issued to clubs who are unable to fulfill fixtures, then moderated as the number of dissenters increased.

It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that if step 2 nulls and voids, so that grants for continuing the season are not warranted at that step, that a  small  number of grants might be available for struggling NL clubs to save the integrity of the league and enable promotion/relegation with League 2

Now what exactly constitutes a "struggling NL club"? 

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2021, 08:21:19 PM »
Norwegian Blue, beautiful plumage or otherwise are not found in the NL.

If you look at the Clubs in the National League who driving the ‘let’s carry on’ campaigner it’s the Clubs who have the dosh.  Mainly ex League Clubs.  The smaller Clubs in EFL were happy with wage controls whilst the big boys wanted it removed.   Look who won the day there.

Money talks.

Is this the right Room for an argument

Yes Mall, but you are merely stating the current status quo........things need to change and given the current predicament in the NL, then it's a good place to start. The Government appears unwilling to prop things up and ministers have been having discussions about what needs to happen in football.....I suspect new regs will come in once this shambles has played out.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2021, 08:26:37 PM »
Yes B & G, can obviously see where you are coming from and in most cases would agree...keep the communication lines open with the very people you may be relying on to fill the Stadium later.
However, if I was a Chairman of a club in the NL I would be playing my cards close to the chest....we have seen only recently the type of knee jerk reaction than can emanate from the Board over the initial threats issued to clubs who are unable to fulfill fixtures, then moderated as the number of dissenters increased.

That will be for the relevant body to determine...be it Sport England, the National league or whoever..... that's much the same question that's having to be asked on all the applications from the 3 leagues at the moment.

Btw there is a 3rd meeting apparently arranged between clubs and Sport England for this coming Friday

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2021, 08:37:27 AM »
Norwegian Blue, beautiful plumage or otherwise are not found in the NL.

If you look at the Clubs in the National League who driving the ‘let’s carry on’ campaigner it’s the Clubs who have the dosh.  Mainly ex League Clubs.  The smaller Clubs in EFL were happy with wage controls whilst the big boys wanted it removed.   Look who won the day there.

Money talks.

Is this the right Room for an argument

Yes Mall, but you are merely stating the current status quo........things need to change and given the current predicament in the NL, then it's a good place to start. The Government appears unwilling to prop things up and ministers have been having discussions about what needs to happen in football.....I suspect new regs will come in once this shambles has played out.

That’s really all we can deal with is ‘what is’. Not what we would like to see.   Of the Gov are not going to prop up the Non League game.  They did that to the tune of 10m and Clubs took the pee and went out and signed players on the back of it.   To me, the Gov appear to have washed their hands of it and will let those running it get in with it.

The people running the NL is a board made up of Club directors who have their own agenda’s.   Look at how these people carved up the 10m to the benefit of the NL and hung the other two leagues out to dry. 

KES I hope 100% you have it right and reforms will come.   I fear though it will be like Turkeys voting for Christmas.

Let’s revisit this in say August.   I’ll have take lashings of custard with my humble pie, if you are proven right.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2021, 09:49:47 AM »

Very good point.

If a Clubs owner has the ability and can afford to carry on as before by pumping in 100's of Thousands of pounds, but he decides he no longer wants to continue to do so, can that really be defined as a "struggling Club"? Surely that's just the Owners choice and an attempt to change his business model.

On the other hand, if a Clubs owner has ended up with his backside hanging out of his trousers, and there is no more money in his personal pot to keep a Club alive and kicking, is that a "struggling Club"? Probably (at least more than the first scenario), but that should not automatically mean that they should be given further grants due to the Pandemic and the effect it has had on the Clubs income. There will obviously be a number of Clubs that were going to struggle to survive even prior to the Pandemic, so why should they be given a lifeline via Covid money grant?

That's life, that's business.

It's not just a case of saying "struggling NL Clubs". Its also if they were struggling prior to the Pandemic, and why, that needs to be taken into account.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2021, 01:54:15 PM »
SC appealing for someone to hold the camera for the Notts County game tomorrow..........?

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2021, 08:39:54 AM »
Is degree level at Camera holding the requirement KES.   

Dilligaf

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2021, 12:14:38 PM »
Certainly is....you must be able to hold it at 180 degree level..... :laughcry:

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2021, 12:53:10 PM »
 :laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:

That's a helluva lot of swatting........imagine doing that remotely !

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2021, 12:59:14 PM »
I have a hunch that the results of the vote are in..or at least enough to make decisions. Obviously with matches on tonight, no announcements till tomorrow at earliest

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2021, 05:52:45 PM »
Most on here are much more clued up on this subject than me, and impressively so.  I can only see that the League should be closed down, for the essential curtailing of the spread of the virus, especially considering the various mutations that we’re not yet confident of beating.  The football and finances are dear to all hearts, but distinctly secondary in the scheme of things.  I think KES and B & G are representative of my way of looking at it.  Then, fingers crossed, we start off late next season, but with perhaps 4 to 5,000 in the ground, and all to play for !!

nickc

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2021, 05:25:11 PM »
One or two have mentioned the 75% of games and then ppg as perhaps being what the NL are hoping to achieve. How does that actually work? If every team has to play 75% then that seems unlikely given Dover's stance. Or could it work if 75% of the total number of games within the league have been played? Guess it depends on the small print, but if all teams have to play 75% then could Dover stop that from happening by simply not playing? That would make the mess even messier. Just thinking out loud!

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2021, 05:50:37 PM »
Grants promise from National League to clubs ‘unfortunate’ says Sports Minister
https://thefsa.org.uk/news/grants-promise-from-national-league-to-clubs-unfortunate-says-sports-minister/

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2021, 06:05:13 PM »
Grants promise from National League to clubs ‘unfortunate’ says Sports Minister
https://thefsa.org.uk/news/grants-promise-from-national-league-to-clubs-unfortunate-says-sports-minister/

There ya go then!

This should help a few to make up their minds on what action they intend to take.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal