Author Topic: NL hoping to continue?  (Read 9059 times)

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
Re: NL hoping to continue?
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2021, 04:34:33 PM »
SC is on the record as saying it costs in excess of 100k per month to keep this club afloat.  With no income for Jan/Feb coming in thatís over 200k he has had to shell out.   

Restart and go again in Aug you say.  Do you think that by the world will be back to pre-Covid days ?   That we can see gates of 2,000 at The Walks paying £25 a pop ?  If not then thatís more £ that SC is going to have stump up.

It might sound negative to you, but the silence from the owner has been deafening.  Where is our plan ?  Just maybe he doesnít have one

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2021, 05:05:17 PM »
Must be looking at around £15k pw wage bill if so, which is mental.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2021, 05:26:45 PM »
Must be looking at around £15k pw wage bill if so, which is mental.

I would guess that's not far off as far as players go.

Then there's IC, MH just to name 2.

100k a month may (or may not ) be a slight exaggeration, but whatever it is, its all got to be found from somewhere.
Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2021, 05:53:28 PM »
IF it is a players wage bill of 15k per week for us to sit in the bottom 3 imagine what it would cost to make us competitive at this level.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2021, 06:07:02 PM »
That's where proper governance comes in. After the votes are in and decisions made, then the rumblings will really begin and there will be significant pressure for change in the way things are run. Hopefully this will result in real change, with clubs needing to exhibit a certain financial robustness andthere being definite and realistic wage caps, to stop clubs just buying their way through the leagues. It's madness for some NL clubs to be paying League 1 wages.

I really don't see the current situation as negative...it has potential to create the change that is necessary. SC is quite right to remain reticent and let things play out for just a little longer, if he can.
Within just a few days now it should start to become clearer. No point in quoting current wage structures....if change does come, it could come in a hurry.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2021, 06:23:26 PM »
That's where proper governance comes in. After the votes are in and decisions made, then the rumblings will really begin and there will be significant pressure for change in the way things are run. Hopefully this will result in real change, with clubs needing to exhibit a certain financial robustness andthere being definite and realistic wage caps, to stop clubs just buying their way through the leagues. It's madness for some NL clubs to be paying League 1 wages.

I really don't see the current situation as negative...it has potential to create the change that is necessary. SC is quite right to remain reticent and let things play out for just a little longer, if he can.
Within just a few days now it should start to become clearer. No point in quoting current wage structures....if change does come, it could come in a hurry.

It would be nice Kes, but I'm not so convinced that things will change. People get involved with Clubs, splash some cash, certain sections of fan base think they are wonderful while winning, cash dries up (Pandemic or not), results suffer, gates go down..........ever decreasing circles.

One of the problems that I can see is that the people in authority have the same mindset as these people that get involed at Clubs and want to buy success. How's it going to change while this is the case and its all self governing?

Regarding the Club being silent at the moment. There's nothing wrong with the Club telling the supporters that there's nothing to report as yet rather than just saying nothing. If that's the case, then let them know.

Two scenario's. They either continue to play, or they don't. Presumably which direction the Club will go in depends on at least a  couple of things, being the vote, and additional funding.

You would like to think they know by now what they are going to do, whichever direction they go in, so I can't see why they can't inform the supporters of this.

After all its only keeping the people that they keep asking money from, in the loop.   :dontknow:

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2021, 06:24:29 PM »
IF it is a players wage bill of 15k per week for us to sit in the bottom 3 imagine what it would cost to make us competitive at this level.

Salford's owners put in £2.5 million the season they left the National League.  :countingmoney:

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2021, 06:46:49 PM »

It would be nice Kes, but I'm not so convinced that things will change. People get involved with Clubs, splash some cash, certain sections of fan base think they are wonderful while winning, cash dries up (Pandemic or not), results suffer, gates go down..........ever decreasing circles.

One of the problems that I can see is that the people in authority have the same mindset as these people that get involed at Clubs and want to buy success. How's it going to change while this is the case and its all self governing?

Regarding the Club being silent at the moment. Sorry but can't agree with that either. There's nothing wrong with the Club telling the supporters that there's nothing to report as yet. If that's the case, then let them know.

Two scenario's. They either continue to play, or not. Presumably which direction the Club will go in depends on at least a  couple of things, being the vote, and additional funding.

You would like to think they know by now what they are going to do, whichever direction they go in, so I can't see why they can't inform the supporters of this.

After all its only keeping the people that they keep asking money from, in the loop.   :dontknow:

I don't think it's wise at this stage B &G to divulge too much, unless like Dover, you absolutely have to. The way things are at the moment there could be many a twist and turn as the present encumbants in the Board act and react to events. Far better to play a waiting game if possible in order to try and pick a way through it. Hardly any disclosure from any of the other NL clubs apart from Dover...and with good reason.

You say you can't imagine change, but if the leagues can't conclude credibly and that has a knock on effect on Vanarama sponsorship and BT Sport coverage and Elite status and tarnishes the relationship with the EFL, I can see a massive shake up ensuing...... let's see.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2021, 06:47:31 PM »
15k-50k. They are suggested parameters?   15k buys you a relegation scrap.  50k per week gets you promotion.   

As for salary caps.  The EFL DiV one set theirís at 1.5m for this season.  Of course the big clubs werenít happy with that.  Neither was the PFA.   Itís now been scraped.   So if the Clubs donít want it,  the players donít want it. Who is exactly going to push this through ?  With the NL set up filled with Ex League Clubs desperate to get back into the EFL then I can see that as non starter.

Have a count up of ex League Clubs are now in the NLN and the NL

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2021, 07:20:08 PM »
15k-50k. They are suggested parameters?   15k buys you a relegation scrap.  50k per week gets you promotion.   

As for salary caps.  The EFL DiV one set theirís at 1.5m for this season.  Of course the big clubs werenít happy with that.  Neither was the PFA.   Itís now been scraped.   So if the Clubs donít want it,  the players donít want it. Who is exactly going to push this through ?  With the NL set up filled with Ex League Clubs desperate to get back into the EFL then I can see that as non starter.

19/20?   :dontknow:

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2021, 07:23:13 PM »

Regarding the Club being silent at the moment. Sorry but can't agree with that either. There's nothing wrong with the Club telling the supporters that there's nothing to report as yet. If that's the case, then let them know.

Two scenario's. They either continue to play, or not. Presumably which direction the Club will go in depends on at least a  couple of things, being the vote, and additional funding.

I don't think it's wise at this stage B &G to divulge too much, unless like Dover, you absolutely have to. The way things are at the moment there could be many a twist and turn as the present encumbants in the Board act and react to events. Far better to play a waiting game if possible in order to try and pick a way through it. Hardly any disclosure from any of the other NL clubs apart from Dover...and with good reason.

You say you can't imagine change, but if the leagues can't conclude credibly and that has a knock on effect on Vanarama sponsorship and BT Sport coverage and Elite status and tarnishes the relationship with the EFL, I can see a massive shake up ensuing...... let's see.

I understand where you are coming from, but saying nothing and not communicating with the supporters, isn't  the answer.

So what will be the first thing the supporters hear after such a period of silence?

Give me your money?

:dontknow:

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2021, 07:33:54 PM »

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2021, 07:37:07 PM »
Yes B & G, can obviously see where you are coming from and in most cases would agree...keep the communication lines open with the very people you may be relying on to fill the Stadium later.
However, if I was a Chairman of a club in the NL I would be playing my cards close to the chest....we have seen only recently the type of knee jerk reaction than can emanate from the Board over the initial threats issued to clubs who are unable to fulfill fixtures, then moderated as the number of dissenters increased.

It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that if step 2 nulls and voids, so that grants for continuing the season are not warranted at that step, that a  small  number of grants might be available for struggling NL clubs to save the integrity of the league and enable promotion/relegation with League 2

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2021, 07:45:16 PM »

Ex league clubs are ex league clubs.....they are now in the NL and have to abide by the rules of that league.... it's just getting the governance right across all the leagues and I sense ministers and shadow ministers are feeling the time might be right.

Have a count up and see how many ex non league sides from the last 10-20 years are still in Leagues 1 and 2.....     you don't have to be a great mathematician to realise it's the same figure...19/20.....but they are not demanding NL rules, because they are ex NL........just as an ex parrot.......is an ex parrot

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2021, 07:59:10 PM »
Norwegian Blue, beautiful plumage or otherwise are not found in the NL.

If you look at the Clubs in the National League who driving the Ďletís carry oní campaigner itís the Clubs who have the dosh.  Mainly ex League Clubs.  The smaller Clubs in EFL were happy with wage controls whilst the big boys wanted it removed.   Look who won the day there.

Money talks.

Is this the right Room for an argument ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal