Author Topic: Notts Co at home  (Read 1628 times)

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
Notts Co at home
« on: February 16, 2021, 08:38:19 AM »
When the Club was reformed and played in the UCL (step 5). Who would have thought that we would be lining up against one of the oldest professional  football teams in a League game ?

With a huge crowd in I could have seen us rise to the occasion and got something here.   Sadly as much as Iíd love to see us take a point ( or better). I have this one down as an away win.

Iím going for 1-3.

Whatís the line up Dilly.   Defend deep and hit them on the break or all out assault and risk a stuffing ?

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
Re: Notts Co at home
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 10:07:20 AM »
Park the bus!

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 05:09:46 PM »
Think if we try to go toe-to-toe with them we will come off second best.  Their fans on the national forums are constantly moaning about their defensive approach to games where they sit and hit teams on the break (the one exception being last week when they went down to 10 men and went on the attack!).  Would like to see us keep possession and move the ball quicker and try and create some openings to test their 2nd keeper but just not sure we have the quality to do that at this level. 

Whatever the result of this game and indeed the impending vote, tonight has to be one of the high points in the club's history.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 05:14:52 PM »
Spring is sprung; the grass is ris: Tonight the Linnets do the biz..!!!.  No, have to agree with you Mallard, me ole Duck !  Can only see a win for NC.  I just hope our team have the spirit to have a go, because they canít be enjoying the games at the moment, and can see teams around them improving.  However, you never know...  Very hard to pick at team while weíre making so little progress, and I donít really see anyone playing that well, except maybe McFadden.  BUT - the Dilly team tonight has changes !! 
MAIR;  JONES, MCFADDEN, SMITH, DENTON;  RICHARDS, CAREY, KING, KIWOMYA;  MARRIOTT, SOUTHWELL/GYASI (2 minds).... Subs GYASI/SOUTHWELL, KELLY, CLUNAN, GASH, BROWN, DILLY, MRS DILLY....  Gung-ho, NO.  All back, and come forward in trios, plus others getting up there quickly, and back even quicker.  Their forwards are good, especially Wootton and Roberts, who is the slippery nipster in chief.  Bribe the ref, and sneak 2 subs on, for every one that comes off....

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 08:42:55 AM »
Have to say I was impressed by Lynn for the first hour last night.  Clear structure and whilst we were obviously well behind on the possession stats they didn't really break us down and we managed to carve out a couple of good half chances for ourselves.  Appreciate we went a bit more open towards the end and could of snatched something but Notts County showed why they have kept so many clean sheets lately and always looked like they were playing within themselves once they got the goal.

For me a much better performance than Torquay and maybe a model that could be adapted to keep us in this league, only tweaks I would make would be pushing the full backs up the pitch a little more when they could and to pull King and Carey inside a bit more, certainly both did their best work there rather than outside.

Dilligaf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 09:59:26 AM »
We need to change something....everyone has cottoned on to if you answer no no no no no to the linnets bet you'll win....£2.94 last night hardly worth winning.
Come on IC we need something different....I keep going for a goal or 2.... :countingmoney:

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 10:15:40 AM »
Obviously a lot of work going on behind the scenes to improve the defensive solidarity and find a system that works and generates regular points. Lynn looking more savvy.in defence. Such a steep learning curve for some of the squad........ the system will need the pace of King , Carey and Kiwomya when fit and it will also require improved sharpness up front.
If Lynn use a similar system going forward, then chances on the break are few........there were some decent chances last night...to survive in this league, it goes without saying, that the conversion rate has to improve.

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 10:31:13 AM »
One big problem we always seem to come up with the opposition goalkeeper playing a blinder. We just need to start putting these chances away. Thought King and Carey were excellent.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 10:56:26 AM »
I almost mentioned that myself gs....our forwards need to be more clinical........all the keepers in this league are good enough to play blinders if you are not clinical.

Dilligaf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 11:03:18 AM »
We shall see....all the same sounds were coming out after the Torquay draw.....setting up to be solid, accept less possession and attack when viable is fine against sides where a point is accepted as a "good" point......but IC obviously doesn't want to play that way against every team.... :dontknow:

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 11:14:35 AM »
I am not sure on that to be honest.......looking at the  current squads with Barnet and Weymouth having strengthened massively, I would think that on paper, we are underdogs in every game except perhaps v Dover, so we are reliant on IC's tactical nous and the togetherness of the squad.. I think IC may use a similar set up going forward, with perhaps using Kiwomya from the start once he is fully fit.

I have just listened to Neil Ardley's post match interview. He was very happy with the 3 points....."The best team lost tonight" and we managed to hold on thanks to one great save and some poor finishing from them .......  .... shooting practice required !!

Birc95

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 12:42:58 PM »
Once again...negativity in the first period set the tone for the result...second half with the middle of midfield slightly tweaked there was an excellent improvement...jarvis & Richards were poor on the night, king & Carey were in fine form..felt sorry for Mitchell who ran his socks off and very unlucky to be subbed. As we all know we have only plan A, so to play a lone striker against a very solid defence was a worthless effort..perhaps gash & Mitchell or Southwell & other would have given us a chance....must say Marriott looks well of the pace at the moment but we need his added goals desperately for the next two home games which I feel will dictate our season.....credit to the lynn defence who are gradually knitting together into a tight unit, apart from a outstanding goal from reeves they coped very well👏🏻👏🏻...

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2021, 12:44:20 PM »
Teams that have strengthen surely we have to be considered in that group as since last season was curtailed IC has brought in 10 new players ( if you include Loza).  I guess the question is have recruited as well as other teams

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 12:56:54 PM »
I didnít stream last nightís game - only the 2nd one Iíve missed - and not because of the Champions League .  Sounds like there was real improvement - Good - but you know the Dilly stuff.....  I donít think a system like that can win more than once in a long while, because a team with 90% of the game will score at some time.  Not being negative, but it is no surprise to me that KL were a lot better in the 2nd half - it was a more balanced team, and able to keep them back more.  Still, onwards and upwards, as they say....

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 01:30:24 PM »
Once again...negativity in the first period set the tone for the result...second half with the middle of midfield slightly tweaked there was an excellent improvement...jarvis & Richards were poor on the night, king & Carey were in fine form..felt sorry for Mitchell who ran his socks off and very unlucky to be subbed. As we all know we have only plan A, so to play a lone striker against a very solid defence was a worthless effort..perhaps gash & Mitchell or Southwell & other would have given us a chance....must say Marriott looks well of the pace at the moment but we need his added goals desperately for the next two home games which I feel will dictate our season.....credit to the lynn defence who are gradually knitting together into a tight unit, apart from a outstanding goal from reeves they coped very well👏🏻👏🏻...

Sorry but were you watching last night's game?  We started with three centre halves and finished with two, we started with one up front and finished with two plus we brought on a winger and moved King more central so how is any of that not having a plan B?  Personally I thought Mitchell ran himself into the ground and did a pretty good job as lone striker, just needed that little bit of luck in front of goal, so his substitution it was more a pair of fresh legs required rather than a slight on how he played.

I didnít stream last nightís game - only the 2nd one Iíve missed - and not because of the Champions League .  Sounds like there was real improvement - Good - but you know the Dilly stuff.....  I donít think a system like that can win more than once in a long while, because a team with 90% of the game will score at some time.  Not being negative, but it is no surprise to me that KL were a lot better in the 2nd half - it was a more balanced team, and able to keep them back more.  Still, onwards and upwards, as they say....

Lynn weren't 'better' in the second half and certainly didn't look more 'balanced' after all the substitutions as we effectively lost Carey as an attacking threat (and Kiwomya struggled to get into the game) but Notts County looked like a side that is happy to win every game 1-0 with complete confidence that one is enough which has proved to be the case against teams much higher up the table than KLTFC and whilst some of their fans (and manager?) thought they rode their luck last night that is sometimes how it goes when you are on a run.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal