Author Topic: Forward Planning  (Read 1432 times)

KES80

• View Profile
Forward Planning
« on: February 20, 2021, 03:31:19 PM »
If the club manages to retain its NL status after this horrible mess, some very strong lessons should have been learnt. The on pitch requirements will be much clearer after the last few months, but far, far more important and fundamental than that are the finances underpinning it. Very serious attention needs paying to the commercial side and some expertise needs to be brought in. It's clear the current model is just not sufficient for the NL in its current format. Any business, football or otherwise should really be able to ride out 3-6 months of poor incomes, by use of its reserves.
If Lynn's season ends soon with no sanctions, the 6 months or so before next season will be absolutely vital to rectify things.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
Re: Forward Planning
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 03:56:41 PM »
Why brought in KES ?  We have an experienced Commercial Manager who was appointed against some very stiff competition.  The guy deserves at least a season in normal times to access his true capabilities surely ?

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 05:11:13 PM »
No part of forward planning would include loans when no income is being generated.I personally don't think the government realise what is happening..

Realist

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 05:33:31 PM »
Mr Cleeve is a businessman, why seek and pay expertise that is already on board? Sitting on the fence is very poor , watching the Vultures over the Channel town that is Dover and hoping the League are lenient, is ridiculous. Playing two more games has no meaning or plan attached to it. Closing the shop could cost more than the loan repayments in terms of punishment. The National League are playing the game, and will be aware of the thought process of the likes of Cleeve. The options available, including the loan must be considered.

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 06:46:19 PM »
Just listened to Ollie Bayliss on 5 Live....apparently not even certain that taking a loan isnít against league rules.

Realist

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 07:01:03 PM »
League rules, like the one that faces Dover are "live/adjustable" and by controlled measures influenced by such eventualities as a pandemic or simply a decision evolving from an observation can be changed. All regulatory process operates like this. Hence the discussion on what Dover will be done for and what the price will be. In a normal world, Dover and the rest of us would know what they were in for. The same applies to any constitution surrounding loans.

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 08:24:47 PM »
Iím not disagreeing with you Realist. So much uncertainty still.

I would assume clubs are waiting to see what happens with Dover before they make a decision, and the same with the loan situation.

Really is a mess and should never have got this far into the season without being sorted.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 09:07:03 PM »
Why brought in KES ?  We have an experienced Commercial Manager who was appointed against some very stiff competition.  The guy deserves at least a season in normal times to access his true capabilities surely ?

I was thinking Lynn could be tapping in to the Norwich expertise on this matter. Lynn could end up being cleaned out by this season's experience and needing to build funds quickly.....Lynn probably won't have the whole of next season to see how things pan out...I M O that would be way too slow.

Altrincham and Weymouth look to be ok financially...............Wealdstone may have a problem going forward.......but Lynn have a problem now, so it appears to me that Lynn are in the worst position of the 4 promoted clubs....... that's not great, given most of the rest in the league are considerably wealthier....... it's not rocket science that something will have to change rapidly for Lynn to survive at this level, especially as there could still be crowd restrictions during part of the next season.
So, Mall, I was thinking take as much advice and assistance as possible, rather than rely on one person, however experienced they maybe.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 10:20:12 PM »
It might be suggested that SC likes the one man model.

Iím not sure our owner ever seeks advise.  He seems like to fly solo on everything. He has options of selling equity in the Club to really make it the community club he claims it to be.

I have a feeling that he would prefer not go down that route.

It seems every fund raising effort that is launched is met by a Luke warm response ( at best).  Warchest is just example that springs to mind.

Why do you think that is ?

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 07:20:02 AM »
Not going to happen Mallard. A proper community club would be about stability, sustainability and community. These would all have an  impact on the playing budget. This would be the opposite of what we have at the Walks now.  Could SC  change course that much? 
If as suggested by IC this week,  SC  doesn't have any income. Then I doubt he would write of his loans to the Club.  These debts would l feel,  would prevent new investors getting involved.  Just  mothball  the club,  furlough all staff and players, and ride the storm out. Just like all those other Non League clubs have been doing for months.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 09:16:25 AM »
I donít think he will either, as I said.  Just saying he doesnít need to let the Club go pop, as he is saying.   He has other options.   He might not like the options but those options are there.

One man Club, one man decision.   It is what it is.  No good bleating on about how unfair it all is.  The situation is there.  Deal with it.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 09:28:51 AM »
I donít think he will either, as I said.  Just saying he doesnít need to let the Club go pop, as he is saying.   He has other options.   He might not like the options but those options are there.

One man Club, one man decision.   It is what it is.  No good bleating on about how unfair it all is.  The situation is there.  Deal with it.

What other options?
Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 09:54:23 AM »
Well how about the Chairman taking out a loan to get him through to the end of the season.?

This could repaid by adding a quid a head in to the admission next season.  2,000 gates at £1 x 25 games.  Thatís 50K.   Surely the fans wouldnít mind paying that to keep the Chairmans dream alive ?

Realist

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 12:40:01 PM »
I agree with something on those lines , as I have suggested earlier in the thread. my concern is that ( and maybe the reason for not considering this) with no solid assets other than a few balls , ground sheets, posts, pub fittings, burger bar  and maybe some out of date cider all coupled together with a connection to a dubious financial past....would we actually be offered a loan? if it were applied for????

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 04:11:21 PM »
I canít help wondering if finding 200k ( with cuts) might be a cheaper option to retain our NL place rather than being stuffed with a 2 tier deduction and taking years  ( and 100ís of K) to fight our way back from step 3?

I guess we will know the outcome once Dover are dished out their punishment.  The Dover Chairman was saying in todayís NLP if they get thrown out of the NL system so be it.  At least they will have a club come August.

I wonder if SC is feeling the same way about it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal