Author Topic: Substitutes  (Read 3272 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Substitutes
« on: March 14, 2021, 10:57:57 AM »
Has anything been said anywhere as to why we didn't have more subs yesterday?  Whilst I can understand IC's comment a couple of weeks ago about throwing a host of younger lads in together having a detrimental impact on their development, I think the same could be said when they look at a bench for a home game with only 3 subs, one of whom is a 50 year old keeper.  Are we really saying Bastock is a better outfield option if we had an injury near the end than, say, Joe Taylor?  Personally I don't understand why the lads who have signed forms are not included in the match day squad, even if it was just for additional cover.

gs50

• View Profile
Re: Substitutes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 11:12:07 AM »
What i can't understand is why one or two of the fit furloughed players can't come into the squad. I think IC can only take so much with him not being prepared to be interviewed doesn't seem happy place at moment. Must agree can't see why couple of youngsters couldn't be on bench for home games.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 11:41:54 AM »
Agree Tony, would have thought this is an ideal time to give a few of the promising youngsters a taste of NL football towards the end of games........ the club really have to make the best of this time rather than keep moaning and groaning...if they have to carry on then forgoodnes sake try and turn it into a positive........look at some trialists etc, blood some youngsters and give the club better options going forward as a result.

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 11:56:04 AM »
It's given Fleming time in the team and has looked the part very impressed.

Dilligaf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 12:28:54 PM »
Well....I guess we know how promising IC sees them.
The academy manager is a GK...mid 20's I guess, played for res and was apparently at Norwich for a few weeks....but a 50 yr old was still a better option???
Seems to me IC has just closed ranks...no interviews...incomings no doubt from his contacts only....certainly seems strange that the no relegation, and no pressure on winning hasn't turned the rest of the season into just a pre-season ready for 2021-22.
Unless of course we're not being told everything by our chairman... :dontknow: :dontknow:

Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 12:56:13 PM »
What i can't understand is why one or two of the fit furloughed players can't come into the squad. I think IC can only take so much with him not being prepared to be interviewed doesn't seem happy place at moment. Must agree can't see why couple of youngsters couldn't be on bench for home games.
Fair enough GS if they came into the squad SC would have to pay their wages instead of you and me and others paying them via our taxes

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 01:41:27 PM »
Agree a few of the younger players should be giving a chance. There's good evidence of players over the years who may not have been great at a lower level, but actually excel at a higher level when giving the chance. I'm sure when Rashford burst onto the scene, it was said within Man Utd that he wasn't actually rated the best of the youngsters, but was giving a chance, excelled and rest is history. Got his chance because they were short on numbers, and same could happen here. There's no relegation, so experiment. Could turn out that one or two players could be good squad players next season, which means more could be spent on some top player for first XI.

At the moment, club is not only tossing away money, but also a free swing to see who can play at this level moving forward.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • One pill makes you larger one pill makes you small
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 02:22:48 PM »
Must agree can't see why couple of youngsters couldn't be on bench for home games.
Fair enough GS if they came into the squad SC would have to pay their wages instead of you and me and others paying them via our taxes

Why would SC have to pay their wages?
When you're dead, you don't know you are dead. The pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 03:02:26 PM »
If the Under21s are not selected to sit on the bench in times of crisis then should we not consider having a reserve team when finances allow? It is all very well advertising the Academy as a means of getting into the first team but the evidence of recent days suggest otherwise.
“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”

Gordon Chilvers

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 03:58:19 PM »
If the Under21s are not selected to sit on the bench in times of crisis then should we not consider having a reserve team when finances allow? It is all very well advertising the Academy as a means of getting into the first team but the evidence of recent days suggest otherwise.

Spot on Nemesis. Stating in the newspapers on friday and on Social Media that there is nowhere for young players to go! What about all the young players that have come through King's Lynn Community Football, King's Lynn Soccer School etc etc that have made it to KLTFC. Joe Taylor is a classic example as is Dom Dwyer now a USA international. Without players steppinhg up from KLCF and/or KLSC then the Reserve team at KLTFC would of been dead and buried years ago.
Sorry but it was another load of bull **** in the newspapers and social media again bribing youngsters and their parents to leave their existing football to come to KLTFC.

Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 05:03:49 PM »
Must agree can't see why couple of youngsters couldn't be on bench for home games.

Because  you can't be furloughed and work for your employer at the same time so SC has to pay them as normal if they "work"

Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 05:05:01 PM »

Or maybe try flexible furlough where they work a part week or maybe 45 mins per game :-)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 05:13:00 PM »

Because  you can't be furloughed and work for your employer at the same time so SC has to pay them as normal if they "work"

Are the under 21's employed by the Club?
When you're dead, you don't know you are dead. The pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2021, 05:20:43 PM »
Possibly not but the question put by GS was to use fit again furloughed players

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 06:20:42 PM »
Possibly not but the question put by GS was to use fit again furloughed players

OK,see what you mean.

I was just asking in relation to the youngsters that GS mentioned, as highlighted by the quote.

I think IC has said something about why he is unwilling to go down that route. It would appear a feasible option to help us limp to the end of the season, but he’s the boss and certainly knows more about such things than I do.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal